Hey Guys,

Im making a Home Studio and I want a Laptop that would be suitable for recording. Im very interested in the Dell XPS M1530 http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_xps_m1530?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd (the £449 one) they're meant to be decent. If you own this Laptop can you please tell me your likes/dislikes etc. or if you don't, could you recommend a better Laptop. My price range is up to £475 (I know its a tight budget).

Thanks
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

Im Not A Guitar Noob Anymore!

Saving for new Bass and that!
If you can, get a laptop with a 7200rpm hard drive - that's where the bottlenecking in recording happens. And you could get a laptop with 1GB of RAM, if you can then upgrade to 4GB (only costs £50 or so).

2GHz or more Intel Core 2 Duo is preferable too.

And if you can get it with XP instead of Vista, do.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jun 22, 2008,
whats soo bad about Vista, i have Vista on my Laptop and so does my sister and mum lol. And their fine, bit slow sometimes...
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

Quote by EG_Noob
whats soo bad about Vista, i have Vista on my Laptop and so does my sister and mum lol. And their fine, bit slow sometimes...

alot of programs don't work on vista and might not for a lil bit longer like for me to take my online classes i have to get a new pc and the recording software only use XP. and dells the only one with a cheap XP for sell
ohhh ok
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

hey i just thought, i've already got the programs i'm going to record with and their working with my current Windows Vista laptop fine.
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah

Quote by EG_Noob
hey i just thought, i've already got the programs i'm going to record with and their working with my current Windows Vista laptop fine.

well then yeah i would go with it then im just saying like for ex. the programs im good with dont work on vista and the companies haven't made n e that will so im just gonna stick to XP for a lil while longer.
What programs? might look in to them
the problem with vista is drivers...most hardware and still some software doesnt work with it.

It would be good if you could get XP but I run vista in my studio and it works just fine. You just need the proper hardware for it all and a quick PC.

A laptop isnt best for DAW work but it can work....I still think a PC desktop is the better bang for the buck though.
Quote by moody07747
the problem with vista is drivers...most hardware and still some software doesnt work with it.

It would be good if you could get XP but I run vista in my studio and it works just fine. You just need the proper hardware for it all and a quick PC.

A laptop isnt best for DAW work but it can work....I still think a PC desktop is the better bang for the buck though.

yeah but he might be like me and move around a lot like form practice place to place and needs something mobile thats y i got a notebook and not a new Desktop
Agreed on desktop being better suited for a DAW in most cases. However, if portability is a must, consider this:

Will also need portable interface, and portable everything else. Depending on what you want to record, once you get into hauling around mics, cables, stands, interface, rack gear, baskets of more cables, headphones, power bar, extension cords, mixer, etc.... throwing a desktop computer into a box and taking it along really isn't that huge a deal. On the other hand, if you're just throwing up one or two mics on a couple of acoustic guitars or a piano and voice or whatever.... easy to do with a laptop and portable interface and a small box of accessories.

I can't imagine trying to record any more than a couple of tracks on a drive that spins less than 7200 rpm. However.... that extra drive speed is going to punch your batter *real* fast. Be prepared. Maybe consider a solid-state drive?

512 MB of RAM on an XP machine is totally adequate. That's what I have, and we did our album (songs upwards to 36 tracks of audio) on mine. Gigs of RAM are nice if you're working with a lot of samples and stuff, but for just plain ol' recording.... nah.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Heres the specs of the laptop (with upgrades, so it's not it's normal spec)

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
HARDWARE SUPPORT 1 Year Base Warrant
COLOUR CHOICE 2.0 mega pixel Camera & Tuxedo Black for CCFL Display
LCD 15.4" Widescreen™ WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display (220nits) with TrueLife™
BIOMETRIC IDENTIFICATION Biometric Fingerprint Reader with BLACK accent
MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
HARD DRIVE 200GB Free Fall Sensor (7200RPM) Hard Drive
GRAPHICS CARD NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS with 128MB dedicated graphic memory
OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW
PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)
My Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Behringer GM108
Yamaha FG730S
Behringer BT108
Boss ODB-3
Morley Classic Wah