I'm looking at a '98 Gibson SG but I'm somewhat weary. I've owned a new 2007 Gibson SG standard and ended up selling it b/c it was nowhere near worth the price I paid. Would it be safe to say that this instrument is of high quality? The seller describes it as in mint condition, but I am more concerned with Gibson quality a decade ago.
You should be more concered about Gibsons quality now than a decade ago.

Nineties Gibbies were fine.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
that's comforting, I was tossing around buying that 98 SG or an original 1974 SG (which is in good condition but had a broken headstock that was professionally repaired)
That '74 SG will be far, far better...

The '98 Special... will be meh. The mid-90's were the last time Gibson were really good, late 90's is when they started to go downhill again so I woudl be wary of a '98 model. Also the 'Special' model was always a low-end model (like the Studio or Faded is now), which would make me even more wary.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The repaired break in the headstock scares me lol

What is the significant factor, other than a decade, that makes a '74 SG so much cheaper than a '63 or '64?
In the '70s Gibson was owned by CBS. Under CBS their quality generally went down, giving rise to the lawsuit guitars.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So you Bought a Guitar, didnt think it was worth the price, then Sold it for less than you paid originally...

Anyways, If you can play the guitar before you buy it, then that is always a good thing. How much are you paying for this 90s Model? it should be pretty good quality, although there are always exceptions which is why its best to try it out, and g ive it a good look.

Chances are if you didnt like the Feel of your '07, then you wont like the Other SG's either.
Quote by Raijouta
In the '70s Gibson was owned by CBS. Under CBS their quality generally went down, giving rise to the lawsuit guitars.

That was Fender in the 1960's and 70's, not Gibson.
90's Gibsons in my opinion were alot better than post-2000 models. You can generally see that appreciation by looking at the prices commanded for alot of early 90's models, such as the Les Paul Studio Gem, Classic, and Classic Plus etc. which are almost collectable these days. Can't say much about the SG because I never was still am not a big SG fan.
You can't really complain about value for money of Gibsons anymore because everyone now knows they are ridiculously overpriced but people seem to just roll with it anyway.
Since you're looking at a '98 model, I really don't see how much better it can be than any other current SGs in terms of sound, but in terms of quality it could be a different story. Good luck with it all, just don't have sky high expectations.
Quote by Raijouta

u sure ur not talking about fender? cause i think they were owned by cbs for a bit
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Raijouta

Gibson was owned by Norlin, and like CBS and Fender, it's generally thought the quality of Gibsons went down during this period also.
Norlin era Gibsons can usually be identified with a volute behind the headstock.
Quote by d_herm56
that's comforting, I was tossing around buying that 98 SG or an original 1974 SG (which is in good condition but had a broken headstock that was professionally repaired)

I have a '74, and I must say, it is a fine instrument. I'd go with it rather then a 98 one.

Either of them will be MUCH better then any new Gibson's, though. I can't stand their new guitars they make.
Don't get a gibson one, get a lawsuit era japanese one, way better
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by kckyle
my 2005 sg standard feels and play fine. don't have any issue with it

Have you compared it to any of the older SGs, though? I do admit the new ones are alright instruments, but they're terribly overpriced, and aren't nearly as good as the old ones.