I've got an Epiphone G-400 with a '61/'62 style smaller pickguard, and humbuckers mounted in mounting rings. I was wondering if there is a way to change this to have a 'full' SG pickguard instead like some of the later SGs had. Though I'm not fussed if I have to keep the mounting rings or not (in fact I think I'd probably prefer it if I could keep the pickups in mounting rings instead of onto the pickguard directly).

Is it just a case of replacing the small pickguard with the bigger one and drilling a few extra screw holes into the body?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've done this same project and trust me it's very time consuming, but I just used the springs mounted to the screws in the mounting rings and mounted the pickup directly to the pick guard and it worked just fine. I don't know how it would do with the mounting rings on top of the pick guard it might raise the pickups too high. Be careful those springs are annoying to remove and to put back on to the screws, you might want to have some one help you.
it will work fine- ive done it (to a friends, mine came with a full pickguard) and it came out okay with the rings still on.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Might try just diretc swapping it then.

One thing I just thoguht of, is there really any need to put in extra screw holes in the body on the top side? It will have five screws on the bottom half, surely that'll be enough to hold it, and the top half could just be stuck down with double-sided tape or something? I don't really fancy the idea of drilling into the guitar, I've decided, and I think it'd look quite good if it's not got screws everywhere.
Would that be possible? Using screws int he place of the small pickguard, and for the rest of the big pickguard, just taping it down with no screw holes? I'll have to get it custom-cut anyway (since the Epi can't take normal Gibson replacement plates anyway).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.