So I have a Vox AD30VT, obviously a solid state. I love the way it sounds and it's all I need at the moment because my band includes jamming with an acoustic guitarist. For my cleans I use the Black 2x12 setting (modeled after a Twin Reverb) and it sounds pretty good.

Here's my question: I'm looking at getting an OD so I can get a good dirty sound. I realize that I could use a different amp model, but something about developing a dependence on playing a single song or show using "different" amps doesn't sit right. So I'm looking for something get a more OD sound out of the 2x12 channel. Cranking the gain and using the foot pedal doesn't quite do it.

So I've been told that a Tubescreamer won't be all that useful. I was thinking Bad Monkey because the price is right and I've heard good things. But some people say there is no point in using either with a solid state while other people say they'll work. So would a Bad Monkey help me out?
if someone told you a tubescreamer wouldn't work, yet said a bad monkey would work they're... well, a dumbass.

if you're using it on the clean channel, it should work fine. it'll be the pedal's own tone coming through. if you wanna use the od on an already distorted amp model, then some funky things might happen (i noticed you can get some weird compression going on).

but for what you wanna do, either a bad monkey, tubescreamer, or any od will work fine.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
whoever said a tubescreamer wouldn't work, yet said a bad monkey would work is... well, a dumbass.

if you're using it on the clean channel, it should work fine. it'll be the pedal's own tone coming through. if you wanna use the od on an already distorted amp model, then some funky things might happen (i noticed you can get some weird compression going on).

but for what you wanna do, either a bad monkey, tubescreamer, or any od will work fine.

Sorry, I didn't make that too clear. No one said that a Bad Monkey would work better, just no one has told me it doesn't work yet! Haha.

I've just been told that a TS won't work because I have no tubes to overdrive--which I suppose makes a little sense, but doesn't quite jive entirely. I've had people downright tell me it does nothing at all, which I find hard to believe.

Basically, I'm looking to be able to use my clean channel then click on an OD to get a dirtier sound. Not dirty on top of dirty. I just don't want to become dependent on using 12 different amp models in my playing because it prove problematic when I upgrade to an all tube amp.
Quote by TheProducer
Sorry, I didn't make that too clear. No one said that a Bad Monkey would work better, just no one has told me it doesn't work yet! Haha.

I've just been told that a TS won't work because I have no tubes to overdrive--which I suppose makes a little sense, but doesn't quite jive entirely. I've had people downright tell me it does nothing at all, which I find hard to believe.

Basically, I'm looking to be able to use my clean channel then click on an OD to get a dirtier sound. Not dirty on top of dirty. I just don't want to become dependent on using 12 different amp models in my playing because it prove problematic when I upgrade to an all tube amp.

right right. well "tubescreamer" is just a name. in fact, most overdrive pedals are very similar in design to the tubescreamer.

but all of them can overdrive tubes if you boost them enough into breaking up by setting the output on the pedal high enough. there's no truth in saying that it just won't work if you don't have a tube amp.

basically, overdrive pedals are meant to emulate/imitate the sound of a tube amp being overdriven, so if you want to put that over your clean channel, by all means go for it. then when you upgrade to a tube amp in the future, you'll already have an od to suit some needs you might have then.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
right right. well "tubescreamer" is just a name. in fact, most overdrive pedals are very similar in design to the tubescreamer.

but all of them can overdrive tubes if you boost them enough into breaking up by setting the output on the pedal high enough. there's no truth in saying that it just won't work if you don't have a tube amp.

basically, overdrive pedals are meant to emulate/imitate the sound of a tube amp being overdriven, so if you want to put that over your clean channel, by all means go for it. then when you upgrade to a tube amp in the future, you'll already have an od to suit some needs you might have then.

Thanks, that makes more sense to me.
I'm pretty sure you don't want to get an overdrive made for a tube amp for a solid state, as they're made to overdrive tubes, and pushing transistors will blow them out, as they're not made to handle that increased signal
Quote by pak1351
I'm pretty sure you don't want to get an overdrive made for a tube amp for a solid state, as they're made to overdrive tubes, and pushing transistors will blow them out, as they're not made to handle that increased signal

That makes little to no sense, sorry.
It means that using the level too boost your signal won't really help, and may ruin your preamp, as the preamp in a solid state is not meant to be overdriven, which is why they don't clip when you max the volume on the clean channel.

Using the gain would work fine, but the level not so much, and using level at 10 and gain at 0 is what many people use overdrives for
Quote by pak1351
It means that using the level too boost your signal won't really help, and may ruin your preamp, as the preamp in a solid state is not meant to be overdriven, which is why they don't clip when you max the volume on the clean channel.

Using the gain would work fine, but the level not so much, and using level at 10 and gain at 0 is what many people use overdrives for

Right.

But can't it be argued that an OD pedal can be used to emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp and not just overdrive a tube amp?
Quote by pak1351

he's not looking to literally overdrive any tubes. he's aware that his amp is solid state and would just like to use an overdrive for some gain over his clean channel.

if you're a girl, sorry. just replace him/his/he with her/hers/she
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by pak1351

The funny thing is that I do just that with my Screamin Blues (yes, it's an OD pedal).

OD pedals and the AD series go very well together. I use it extensively as a clean boost and for some added dirt.

Most of the clean tones on my profile are through the Tweed channel on my AD50VT with my Screamin Blues in front of it. To clean up the sound, I just roll down the volume on my guitar.
Quote by imgooley
The funny thing is that I do just that with my Screamin Blues (yes, it's an OD pedal).

OD pedals and the AD series go very well together. I use it extensively as a clean boost and for some added dirt.

Most of the clean tones on my profile are through the Tweed channel on my AD50VT with my Screamin Blues in front of it. To clean up the sound, I just roll down the volume on my guitar.

Right, well that's how my friend broke his last vox ad30, so whatever works for you.
Quote by pak1351
Right, well that's how my friend broke his last vox ad30, so whatever works for you.

What, did he blow a cap or transistor? That blows, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the OD was the cause. I always turn the gain down too.
Quote by pak1351

I find it very hard to believe that an OD pedal is going to blow my preamp, sorry.

As UnsignedRecords said, I'm not looking to overdrive any tubes here, but looking to emulate the sound of overdriven tubes over my clean channel.

My biggest concern was I didn't want to start depending on my Black 2x12 model for cleans and then switch to my AC30 model for the dirties. Just doesn't seem like a good practice because I would be screwed when I upgraded to a tube amp. However, I managed to get some pretty sweet clean sounds out of the AC30 model, so I think I'm just going to use it for low-gain and hi-gain. Makes sense since I would most likely upgrade to a very similar tube amp in the future.
You can use an overdrive pedal to emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp (level kept quite low and gain or drive turned up). It will of course sound a bit differnent from an overdriven tube amp, you may like it you may not. As you have modeling amp why not use an amp model it is no worse switching channels compared to switching on an overdrive pedal, after all that is the point of a modeling amp to provide different sounds at the flick of a switch. When you come to upgrade your amp or buy a tube amp you would probably use the OD pedal differently (level high, gain or drive low). You are not forced to upgrade to a tube amp at all you may find a higher end modeling amp that you like better.
Quote by stujomo
You can use an overdrive pedal to emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp (level kept quite low and gain or drive turned up). It will of course sound a bit differnent from an overdriven tube amp, you may like it you may not. As you have modeling amp why not use an amp model it is no worse switching channels compared to switching on an overdrive pedal, after all that is the point of a modeling amp to provide different sounds at the flick of a switch. When you come to upgrade your amp or buy a tube amp you would probably use the OD pedal differently (level high, gain or drive low). You are not forced to upgrade to a tube amp at all you may find a higher end modeling amp that you like better.

Yeah, I have no problem using the models to emulate the sounds of others if I'm trying to cover, etc. I guess my thinking was that if I'm writing an original song or something of the sort I don't want to be switching amp models mid-song. Kind of looking to develop "my sound" if you get what I mean.

I know I don't need to upgrade to a tube amp, but for my styles it will work well. Plus I like them However, can't justify one for a while yet!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I can never keep this strait and should probably create a little chart but does the Valvetronix have 1 power tube or 1 preamp tube?

man, these hybrids are confusing and their website(s) don't help much.

Preampish, haha. Vox confuses it with the wording they use.

Not a power amp tube at all though, that's for sure.
Quote by TheProducer
I find it very hard to believe that an OD pedal is going to blow my preamp, sorry.

As UnsignedRecords said, I'm not looking to overdrive any tubes here, but looking to emulate the sound of overdriven tubes over my clean channel.

My biggest concern was I didn't want to start depending on my Black 2x12 model for cleans and then switch to my AC30 model for the dirties. Just doesn't seem like a good practice because I would be screwed when I upgraded to a tube amp. However, I managed to get some pretty sweet clean sounds out of the AC30 model, so I think I'm just going to use it for low-gain and hi-gain. Makes sense since I would most likely upgrade to a very similar tube amp in the future.

I used to do the same, but then I found the beauty of the Tweed channel. If you throw an OD in front of that, turn the gain down a little bit, and use the volume knob to control the amount of dirt, you can get from a crystal clean sound to a slight blues overdrive, to a 60's british rock sound.

IDK, I try to use as many different channels with the 3 pedals I have to create as many sounds as I can get. I do find that I like my tone better with the gain turned down and the level turned up on my OD, though.
Quote by TheProducer

Ha. yeah.

This is the wording that always throws me off: from their site.

The AD100VT, AD50VT, AD50VT-212, AD30VT and AD15VT feature our patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker.

feaking marketing
Quote by TheProducer

It in between. It is a 12AX7, but it runs a dummy load from the pre amp and sends its output into the SS poweramp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ha. yeah.

The AD100VT, AD50VT, AD50VT-212, AD30VT and AD15VT feature our patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker.

feaking marketing

Yeah, I think they're trying to say that there is a mock low power tube amp in there that it is passed through it and a dummy speaker before it gets to the REAL transistor power amp in order to get a tubery (haha) sound.

Ahhh marketing...says the marketing major
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ha. yeah.

feaking marketing

That's what it does. It is not a preamp tube. The preamp is 100% SS/digital. It sends part of it's output to the valve circuit, and then that sends it to the power amp.
Quote by blind.quardian
Hey i thought modelling amps werent good with pedals? right? couldnt read all the topic.

Not necessarily. The Valvetronix can take pedals well, but it would be a waste to buy a delay/reverb/chorus pedal for it, because it has good built in effects. An OD to boost the dirt and shore up the loose low end is IMO the best thing for this amp.
How heavy can it get with a overdrive? Can we get some crazy distortion out of it with a distortion pedal? how heavy it cant get give example by bands if necessary