Page 1 of 2
link: http://frenchyfungus.muxtape.com

The songs:
Zico Chain - Rohypnol. Let's start this off right, eh? Just over 2 minutes of straight-up hard-rock, headbanging fun. Off their self-titld EP, this is my favourite ZC song. I played this on Chat radio a while ago and everyone loved it, so hopefully you guys will too.
Recommended album: Food

Shy Child - Noise Won't Stop. I saw these guys support Muse last year and fell in love with their brand of upbeat electronic rock. Lots of fun to listen to, their album of the same name is one of the first records I reach for when I need to cheer myself up or get in the mood for going out.
Recommended album: Noise Won't Stop

Kelly Jones - Suzy. So you all (or at least all the Brits) know of The Stereophonics (if you don't, go listen to Bartender and the Thief), but I don't think many people even know Kelly released a solo album a while ago. He recorded it at the same time as the Phonics were recording Pull The Pin. All the songs are just him and a clean electric, and are all named after a girl's name. The stories are all true, hence the name of the album, Only the Names Have Changed.
Recommended album: Only The Names Have Changed

Biffy Clyro - 57. Another band I fell in love with after seeing them support Muse. This one's off their debut album, Blackened Sky and is one of my very favourite songs to play on guitar, I highly recommend learning it. All the songs on their MySpace are from their new album, which is much more mainstream than their earlier stuff, so make sure you check out songs like Bodies In Flight and Convex, Concave if you like this.It is a goal of mine to learn the entirety of Blackened Sky this summer. Scottish too
Recommended album: Blackened Sky

Bullets and Octane - Cancer California. Back to the hard-rock we go. Bit of a Velvet Revolver influence here, they're like a tolerable version of A7X, IMO. Nice guitar here too.
Recommended album: In The Mouth Of The Young

Ghost Frequency - Money On The Fire. Underground electro-rock out of London here. Catchy as fuck.
Reommended album: None released yet.

Sebadoh - Got It. Most of you know I'm a complete Lou Barlow fanboy, so I thought I'd surprise you by not picking any songs he wrote. Instead, this is one Jason Loewenstein wrote. The studio version is on the Bakesale album, but I prefer the live versions, so you can listen to one of them.
Recommended album: Bakesale

Sputniks Down - Champion of the Last Handclappers. Post-Rock with a poppy twist. A now defunct band from Edinburgh, they named themselves after a song Lou Barlow wrote for Folk Implosion, which makes them doubly awesome. Don't confuse them with the American band of the same name; they're shite.
Reommended album: Much Was Decided Before You Were Born.

Nine Black Alps - Not Everyone. Saw these guys supporting Biffy Clyro, and checked them out soon after. Maybe they're a bit more Indie than Mod Rock, but they're good regardless.
Reommended album: Everything Is

DanEdWill - Hollywood. UGer time! This is Yakult's band, he plays bass and is the singer too. Fantastic song, regardless of how shit their band name is. Sorry Will, you know it's true .
Recommended album: None released yet.

Veruca Salt - Number One Blind. Some of you guys probably recognise this name, some of you hopefully already listen to these guys. Led by two girls, one of whom is the subject of Everlong by the Foo Fighters, this is a beautiful little tune.
Recommended album: American Thighs

Lovage - Stroker Ace. Let's finish on a slower one. I went into some French channel on the UG chat server one day, started speaking to a girl called Soph in there, she ended up recommending me this and I loved it. The album's called Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By, and this is exactly what you'd expect. That's Mike Patton on backing vocals, by the way.
Recommended album: Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By.

Housekeeping:

~~~~~~~~
June 29th- Love_Buzz
July 6th- stepco12345
July 13th- Ataxia
July 20th- Broken_Drum
July 27th goldmember1217
August 3rd- mikko_9119
August 10th-Shaggy92
August 17th- red157
August 24th-vintage x metal
August 31st- Mister.Y
Spetember 7th- frankv
September 14th Soundgarden19
September 21st- Guitarhero*numbers*
September 28th- master
October 5th- wiggyisgreat
October 12th- break-me-in
October 19th- frusciante_50
October 26th - DownInAHole.

Previous weeks:
1/6/08 - redh0tchilip3pp
8/6/08 - Jackal58
15/6/08 - rockon1824
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by DownInAHole.
First! Great variety there....

And see, nothing by Nirvana, Alice In Chains or Velvet Revolver!

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Nice to see you put so much time and care into the list.

I'll have to listen later though, if I do now I'll wake everyone in my house up.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by FrenchyFungus

And see, nothing by Nirvana, Alice In Chains or Velvet Revolver!

Heh, you proved me wrong. I'm okay with that though. I've only heard of 5 of the bands here, so I'll post later when I'm done listening as to how good a playlist it was.

edit: All right, since you took the time to write out all the song descriptions, I figured I could at least give a little feedback:

Rohypnol - I haven't heard too much Zico Chain despite your constant praising of them, and this is my first time hearing this song. I like it, but I kept getting the feeling I was listening to a Nirvana song I'd never heard before. It sounds a lot like them, even the singer used some of the same nuances that Cobain sung with. Definitely some straight-forward rock 'n' roll though.

Noise Won't Stop - Eh, wasn't too fond of this. Too much of an electronica influence. Not my thing.

Suzy - I really like this. I'm not familiar with the Stereophonics, but the lead singer sounds a lot like another one who I can't quite place at this moment. Damn, that's gonna bother me now.

57 - The little I've heard by Biffy Clyro I've liked, and this was no exception. I really need to pick up an album by them. Just some more straight-forward rock.

Cancer California - I surprisingly liked this. After you compared them to A7X, I was expecting the worst, but it was really catchy and again, the vocals sound a lot like someone else that I can't place. Dammit. More straight-forward rock though.

Money on the Fire - I didn't really like this one. The main riff was pretty good, but the singer sounded eerily like Robert Smith, which just really didn't work for me with the riff.

Got It - Awesome. Nothing more to say.

Champion of the Last Handclappers - I'm not much into post-rock but this was pretty good stuff. Pretty catchy for an instrumental.

Not Everyone - I've always been meaning to check these guys out but never did. I loved this song. I've always heard them classed as an indie band too, but this definitely had that grungey twist that I always hear mentioned about them in reviews and stuff. I'll definitely check out some more stuff by them now though.

Hollywood - This was a bit too pop-punky for my tastes. Meh.

Number One Blind - This has always been my favorite Veruca Salt song. The lyrics are absolutely brilliant. An ode to blinds? Who else could pull that off? And with the brand mention too! Amazing. I actually just realized I don't own a Veruca Salt album though. Looks like I'm headed to the store tomorrow.

Stroker Ace - God, this was hot. She had me at the purrrrrring. Another band I'll have to check out.

So overall, I liked it a lot. If you took the time to read all this, good on you. Thanks for introducing me to some new bands.

Damn, I've been bored tonight.
Last edited by rockon1824 at Jun 22, 2008,
Nine Black Alps are awesome, nice to see some Biffy too.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Oh my god... Veruca Salt... I now love you more than ever!!

I've got some Nina Gordon on mine, but Veruca is kinda better in a way...
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
I know what I'm doing at work tomorrw.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It's almost frustrating how good this is. Very good work Frenchy =]
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Keeping to my word, I'm going to give opinion, and like rockon1824, I figured I'd do it track-by-track. However, I'm not going to pretend this is out of kindness, as it's motivated mainly by boredom.

Zico Chain: Rohypnol - The vocals to this song were uncannily similar to Kurt Cobain's. I'd been meaning to check out Zico Chain then forgotten, so this was a pleasant reminder. I enjoyed it, even if it was formulaic, it had a lot of energy.

Shy Child: Noise Won't Stop - Reminded me of a less angry, more pop-based Mindless Self Indulgence, who I love, so I really liked this.

Kelly Jones: Suzy - I'd completely forgotten Kelly Jones released a solo album, and whilst I like a lot of Stereophonics, I've always found them a little hit and miss, so I wasn't sure about this. It's a really beautiful song though.

Biffy Clyro: 57 - I love Biffy Clyro, so obviously I loved seeing 57 there, although I would probably have chosen a less obvious song, but that's just because I'm not a newcomer to them.

Bullets and Octane: Cancer California - When this started I immediately thought it was catchy pop-punk. And the instrumentation pretty much is. So besides the scratchy vocals, I can't really understand the A7X/VR comparison you made, but I still liked it.

Ghost Frequency: Money On The Fire - Really liked the dancey element and the electronic touches here.

Sebadoh: Got It - It kinda bored me, honestly. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but I didn't really see any uniqueness there.

Sputniks Down: Champion of the Last Handclappers - Nice, but went on a bit too long, I thought.

Nine Black Alps: Not Everyone - Nine Black Alps piss me off. They wrote an album full of catchy, grungey songs which harked back to the 90s, and then suddenly for their second album they did a 180 and got the sleekest production possible. It watered down all their songs and they were immediately unloveable. Wait, I'm meant to be discussing the song... The song is good. After all, it's from Everything Is.

DanEdWill: Hollywood - Good song, although I had that feeling like I'd heard it before, which I suppose is both good and bad. The band name definitely needs changing.

Veruca Salt: Number One Blind - So when you said Everlong was written about this girl, I guess it immediately got my hopes up, because that's one of my favourite songs (literally, it'd probably be in a top 5). That meant I was a little disappointed, even though this isn't a bad track. Reminds me very much of The Pixies when Kim Deal is on vocals.

Lovage: Stroker Ace - Seemed a little out of place, stylewise, but I liked it. Made me think of Lily Allen if she were able to kill a man at 10 paces, drawling nonchalantly in a small, dark, smoke-filled room.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Okay, after listening, I can't really fully get into this list. Only about 5 songs that I'm enjoying. I love the Sebadoh one and Biffy is good. Oh, and any list with Yakult's band in it is an instant win. I bought their EP from iTunes and I listen to it quite often.
LOL
Biffy Clyro: 57 - I love Biffy Clyro, so obviously I loved seeing 57 there, although I would probably have chosen a less obvious song, but that's just because I'm not a newcomer to them.

A proper newcomer would have picked something far more obvious. A good portion of their "fans" at the moment would not have heard 57. Thats what made the gig slightly lame in November. People wanted them to end with Folding Stars, and when Simon played the opening chords of 57, people looked dissapointed! Its OK though, Ben threw his sticks into the crowd, and they hit the chief offender in the face. Good times.

I personally would have picked All The Way Down (awesome song)
Quote by frusciante_50
A proper newcomer would have picked something far more obvious. A good portion of their "fans" at the moment would not have heard 57. Thats what made the gig slightly lame in November. People wanted them to end with Folding Stars, and when Simon played the opening chords of 57, people looked dissapointed! Its OK though, Ben threw his sticks into the crowd, and they hit the chief offender in the face. Good times.

Like me.

Good stuff though Frenchy. I had heard about Sputniks Down a while ago but I wasn't impressed.
my take on this list

Rohypnol- Very cool song. I like the distorted ad messy sound of songs, and I thoght the singing was sexy

Noise Won't Stop- not a big fan of techno beat type stuff, but that was fairly ok. I like good beats that I can dance to, and that kinda had it haha (of course the dancing was awkward and really bad)

Suzy- I loved the Streophonics, and had no idea Kelly had a solo! It's a good song, love the voice and the whole feel of the song.

57- Good... with the name I was expecting something totally different haha... The weird triple beats really made the song cool... good track, and awesome chorus. I think I found a new good band!!

Cancer California- Good band... only the vocals really reminded of A7X... to me it more of Shades Apart (check em out haha)... good track noetheless

Money On The Fire- Sadly, I'm a sucker for anything Underground, whether it's rap or emo haha... good song, laughed at the beginning for some reason though...

11 Got It- It was ok... probably my least favorite off here but still good...

Champion of the Last Handclappers- Ok... kinda slow in the beginning... but eventually got a little better... thats all

Not Everyone- Anything by Nine Black Alps is good no matter what- nough said...

Hollywood- Will's band is good, and I saw him alot in PP&E so I was expecting a little pop punk to it. Good track crappy band name haha... so original

Number One Blind- They would give me wet dreams when I was younger... I actually gave up listening to the Cranberries to listen to them more, then they had to break up... Good song though, Love's them

Stroker Ace- Awesome way to end it... sexy voice with sexy drumes haha...

All in all, very good playlist Frenchy...

20/20
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

Quote by frusciante_50

I wasn't calling Frenchy a newcomer, I was saying it was targeted at newcomers. And it's an obvious choice if you've heard ANY of their older material. That or Glitter and Trauma.

Anyway, Folding Stars is a fantastic song, I'd be disappointed too if they didn't play it.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
^ added

Regarding Biffy song choice, I almost put Justboy or Joy.Discovery.Invention in there as I probably prefer them to 57 now, but since it was 57 that really got me into them I thought I would just go with that, even if it doesn't even have one of the awesome bridge sections which are the highlight of just about every song on Blackened Sky.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by frusciante_50
^Ah, OK. I think Simon has said it wont be played live again (at Leeds Festival last year) because of the obvious emotional content

What the fuck?! That's one of the songs I was most looking forward to seeing live in their set (seeing them at Reading)...

EDIT: Could I possibly have a slot too, Frenchy?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Could I get a slot?

EDIT: Im seeing them at Reading too. Its a real shame, as if the set is going to be Puzzle dominated, its one of the stronger songs off the record
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Do you mean I'm added Frenchy? When am I?

Mid-October sometime

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Then (I cba working out the dates ):
Mister.Y
frankv
Soundgarden19
Guitarhero*numbers*
master
wiggyisgreat
break-me-in
frusciante_50

I think I got this right-

August 31st-Mister.Y
Spetember 7th- frankv
September 14th- Soundgarden19
September 21st- Guitarhero*numbers*
September 28th- master
October 5th- wiggyisgreat
October 12th- break-me-in
October 19th- frusciante_50
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

Last edited by mikko_9119 at Jun 23, 2008,
^

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Aye

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Anything with Biffy Clyro is good for me.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I can't do it I've added 4 tracks and I have a few more I'm certain about but I'm gonna wait for nearer the time.
I was expecting to see you parading post rock about everywhere, but I was wrong.

I'm not sure if I like it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by frusciante_50
What you got so far Alex? Can we add some outside the Modern Rock genre, because I cant pass off Sonny Rollins or Miles Davis as modern rock

Most of it is "rock" or "punk" I guess but I have a super chilled folk song which aint rock and I have a hip hop/riot jazz song, which is definitely as ambitious as I'm going

I was gonna put Zappa or Hendrix out there but... that's not Modern, and I have better stuff.
Thanks for adding me to the list

Personally, I'm going to try and keep to the modern rock, if I widened it to any other genres, I'd have immense difficulty choosing anything. Anyway, modern rock isn't a real genre, so I'll end up bending the definition a little.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by FrenchyFungus
^

Don't worry about it... it gets boring here when you are on all day and no one else is on... so you chart out different things that you know will hopefully be needed eventually in the future...

and this was the first time something actually was needed

anyways, mine will probably be boring... nina gordon, poe, qotsa, apple, junk like that...

but your's got me into some cool bands...

so cheers to that

Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

Page 1 of 2