Hi ,

I am planning to get a new pedal , the one that I have right now is a zoom 606
(multi effect).. A lot of my friends have been telling me that its a lot better to get
single effect pedals (like this one http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/mt-2/2414 )
(because they are will give you a warmer and cleaner effects) than a multi effect one..

I have tried a few out myself and cannot notice any difference myself..but then i am a new guitar player and don't have a lot of experience with pedals ....

So to the pros out there ...any suggestions ? are normal single effect pedals any better than multi effect ones in any terms ?
they are good but they might not have t right sound that you are looking for thats why i buy single pedals insted of those multi pedals i have some multi pedals but i don't use them as much
Yes they are by a LONG way.
That pedal is trash - along with the majority of BOSS pedals.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
if you get good the newer zoom line they kick ass. Not quite as good as single pedals, but a 100 times better value
Quote by Yngwi3
Yes they are by a LONG way.
That pedal is trash - along with the majority of BOSS pedals.

I am not planning to buy that boss pedal ...was just using it as an example.
Just a little curios but how are single effect pedals better than multi effect ones ?
I mean ...is it durability or live performance or something like that ?
Generally, single effects units are better than multifx units, but please don't buy a metalzone...

They're better for quite a number of reasons actually, I'll try to be concise.

1) With single effects, you can choose each individual effect so that it sounds best to you. Even the best multifx I've tried have been sorely lacking in some area or another. I prefer to have control over every aspect of my tone, instead of settling for a general package.

2) With most multifx units, some combinations of effects are just impossible. Often you can use either chorus and tremolo, but not both, for example.

3) Ease of use. Say I get a clean preset I really like from a multifx unit, and want to add gain at a certain point in the song. Usually, I'd have to create another preset exactly as the last (which is time consuming), only with gain in the sound. To switch on stage I'd have to tap alot of buttons to shift to the right preset, which bothers me. Also, if I want to change the level of the effects depending on the venue, there's no easy way of doing it usually.

4) Every multifx unit I've tried has had a negative effect on the straight through effects free tone.

Personally, I'd get single effects. What amp are you using?
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by inlovewithmusic
Hi ,

I am planning to get a new pedal , the one that I have right now is a zoom 606
(multi effect).. A lot of my friends have been telling me that its a lot better to get
single effect pedals (like this one http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/mt-2/2414 )
(because they are will give you a warmer and cleaner effects) than a multi effect one..

I have tried a few out myself and cannot notice any difference myself..but then i am a new guitar player and don't have a lot of experience with pedals ....

So to the pros out there ...any suggestions ? are normal single effect pedals any better than multi effect ones in any terms ?

If you're new to playing guitar, and can't hear the difference yet, there's no need to go the single pedal route just now. You've actually made a very good choice getting a multi effect pedal, you have something relatively inexpensive to do the job of introducing you to all the different effects and what they sound like so you know what you like when it comes to buying single pedals later.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Put it this way. Multi-fx have quantity but lower quality. Singles have quality, but not quantity.

For a beginner to explore new fxs a multi is a great choice. If you know what fx you like or you don't want that many then singles are the way to go.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I dislike multi effects. I don't use a ton of effects. Wah, od, delay and reverb. For me, single pedals are better. i can buy a few good ones instead of a lot of ok ones.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Generally, single effects units are better than multifx units, but please don't buy a metalzone...

They're better for quite a number of reasons actually, I'll try to be concise.

1) With single effects, you can choose each individual effect so that it sounds best to you. Even the best multifx I've tried have been sorely lacking in some area or another. I prefer to have control over every aspect of my tone, instead of settling for a general package.

2) With most multifx units, some combinations of effects are just impossible. Often you can use either chorus and tremolo, but not both, for example.

3) Ease of use. Say I get a clean preset I really like from a multifx unit, and want to add gain at a certain point in the song. Usually, I'd have to create another preset exactly as the last (which is time consuming), only with gain in the sound. To switch on stage I'd have to tap alot of buttons to shift to the right preset, which bothers me. Also, if I want to change the level of the effects depending on the venue, there's no easy way of doing it usually.

4) Every multifx unit I've tried has had a negative effect on the straight through effects free tone.

Personally, I'd get single effects. What amp are you using?

1. it kinda depends on what kind of MultiFx you get. like a crappy digitech RP will obviously sound like crap.

2. My GT-8 can use a tremolo and a chorus at the same time...
im not sure about other multifx pedals tho.

3. well im not sure what its like with other pedals, but with my G-8 i can add a bit of gain just by clicking one button and save that by clicking another button. in addition to that there is a feature that allows me to control which effects are on/off at the same time so i can just easily turn OD/Dist on/off while adding some delay.

4. have you tried any decent multifx units? like the GT-8? its all a matter of preference
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
There are tons of single FX pedals. Some are bad, some good, and some great. The better ones can cost more than a multifx unit. The amp you are using also makes a big difference.

For a new player a multifx pedal has advantages. You get a variety of all the fx. And you can get a drum machine built in (on some). A drum machine is a great practice tool for getting tempo down, can inspire your scale noodling, and help your strumming.

Some multiFX like the GNX3 have a built in multi track recorder. It's very helpful to record yourself along with a drum machine and then play it back. You can really hear how you sound. You can even put a backing track it to play along with.