I am looking to buy a new guitar and went to the store and was looking at some guitars. I originally went there to look at an ESP LTD EC-400VF but I saw a nice black jackson DKMG, I really like this guitar but I have two issues.

1. Right now my current guitar has a set neck even though its a cheap guitar, but this one has bolt on. Is it going to be a problem? I know most good guitars have set neck or neck-thru so I don't know if this will be a problem.

2. I have never used a floyd rose before, I think this comes with one, or else its just a double locking tremolo. I have heard issues about if it isn't set up properly the springs can vibrate and make the guitar sound like ****. If I do buy this guitar should I get the tremolo set up by a professional.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
All Fenders have bolt-on necks.

/Thread.

+1

And with the double-locking trem, there are a couple great guides on the UG forums somewhere that can help you setting up and stuff.

The first time you get it you might want to get it set up professionally, just as an initial thing, but there shouldn't be any real problem for you to do it yourself with some practice.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
It's a less labour intensive and cheaper option than set in necks, but it has its advantages also, such as distinctive tone and more structural stability of the neck. It's all a matter of preference. Fender uses bolt on necks so by no means is it an undesirable feature.
Short answer, no.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Set necks give you more sustain, but not by enough to make a really big difference, with bolt ons repairs are far cheaper than with sets, so if your low on cash i would go with the bolt on
the main reason people like set necks instead of bolt ons is that it's usually easier to play higher up on the neck with a set neck...

someone people say that it affects sound etc but i dont see how...

on the floyd rose issue....usually brands like jackson come with the bridge set up pretty good so that shouldnt be much of a problem
i need a bishop preaching fire to get away with my sins...i despise everything i see so i dont give a fuck if ya HATE ME!
Short Answer:

Extended answer:

I disagree that set necks get more sustain.
Last time I checked, glue doesn't vibrate well.

I'll take wood-paint-wood contact any day over wood-glue-wood.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by StealthyHayze
Set necks give you more sustain, but not by enough to make a really big difference, with bolt ons repairs are far cheaper than with sets, so if your low on cash i would go with the bolt on

Actually, I think a good bolt on will have just as much sustain as a set.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
bolt ons are really useful if you even need to travel with it or if the neck gets damaged.

and double locking trems are awesome if you have it set up properly.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Ok thanks, yeah I have heard the jackson bridges was pretty good but I didn't know for sure.
The only problem you'll really have is fret access. For some reason, all Jackson bolt-ons arent sculpted and have a huge heel that prevent you from easy access to the higher frets. Its a bummer, and it would be nice if they switched to AANJ bolt ons.
bolt ons are just as good as neck throughs. look at yngwie you don't see him complaining about his bolt-on neck. look at paul gilbert and everyone else who uses an ibanez prestige rg. they are bolt on. only people who play esp's think that neck through's are the end all be all guitars.
Quote by ironman1478
bolt ons are just as good as neck throughs. look at yngwie you don't see him complaining about his bolt-on neck. look at paul gilbert and everyone else who uses an ibanez prestige rg. they are bolt on. only people who play esp's think that neck through's are the end all be all guitars.

+1
I have an RGA121 Prestige(upper level guitar) with bolt on neck. It is fine in all regards. They sculpted the heel so upper acess is fine.

Same with my lower level RG321. do not worry, be happy! Oh, I have two LP knockoffs with setnecks. Also, no probs with the setnecks!
Compared to a set-neck? Probably nothing all that noticeable.

Compared to a Neck-thru? Can't really beat that, sustain-wise. But still not all that big of a deal.

Quote by ironman1478

Learn the difference between Set-neck, and neck-thru. Get educated before running your mouth.
On the flipside of tis conversation...you might look into the Jackson DKMGT...Same guitar but with a hardtail style bridge.

Not that my opinion really matters at this point in the discussion, but the ONLY reason I dislike bolt-on necks is the whole access issue, but the again a lot of bolt-ons now have the nicely sculpted heel...probably not even an issue.

Peace...
Tim
When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it. --- Dimebag Darrell
The sustain difference between electric guitars is pretty minimal. Technique and pick-ups and amp are a lot more important than the neck joint.

A lot of high end boutique guitars specifically use bolt-on. The only reason it is used on low end guitars so predominately is because it is cheap, whether it is a good or bad method is arbitrary. It would be a lot more expensive to build a solid gold guitar, but it wouldn't sound good, so something being more expensive doesn't make it better.
Bolts ons are good for a few reasons... the main 1 being that if the headstocks or anything snapps on the neck, you can simply buy a new neck (if unrepairable)
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Bolt-ons are better IMO. Generally you get better upper-fret access and you always have the option to change your neck if it gets damaged.
Quote by SickLife220
On the flipside of tis conversation...you might look into the Jackson DKMGT...Same guitar but with a hardtail style bridge.

That's what I was going to say.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Its been said before but think of the most anal guitar player on this earth with his tone...think think. His first name starts with an E and his last name a J and he uses a bolt-on neck (Strat)
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I believe it is the Aerodyne series but I'll check. They are pretty rare and most Fenders do have bolt ons. And yeah I was going to answer with the fact that it if a Set neck breaks it can make it alot more difficult to repair and nearly impossible to replace.

EDIT: OK. Not Aerodyne.

Showmaster Strats and
Thinline Teles and Chambered Teles.

I just searched Fenders site and couldn't find the Showmaster but I know they are out there and there may be other Fender models as well.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 23, 2008,