hey guys, I've been learning this song but I'm not sure if my picking pattern it correct, especially the intro. Is the intro played all alternate picking, starting on an upstroke on the first note of the song?

Here's an excerpt of the intro:

|-----|---|---|--||----------------------------------|-----------------------------------------|
|----------------||----------------------------------|-----------------------------------------|
|----------------||o---------------------------------|-----------------------------------------|
|----------------||o-5-----4-----5-----4-----4-5-----|--5-----4-----5-----4~-------------------|
|----------------||----3-3---3-3---3-3---3-3-----3-3-|----3-3---3-3---3-3-----------7-9-10-----|
|----------------||----------------------------------|-----------------------7-8-10------------|

|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|--------------------|
|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|--------------------|
|-----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|-repeat 1st 2 meas.-|
|-10-----9-----10-----9-----7-9-----|-10-----9-----10-----9~--------------|--------------------|
|----7-7---7-7----7-7---7-7-----7-7-|----7-7---7-7----7-7----------3-5-7--|--------------------|
|-----------------------------------|------------------------3-5-7--------|--------------------|
PG actually starts it on a down stroke but it doesn't really matter as long as you can get the notes and it sounds good to you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would personally start that song with a down stroke, I always do though, thats just my familiar method. I would continue to play alternate picking 'cause it would be the most comfortable, but then I'd try it out with economy picking, just to see how far I'd get and how well they both compared against each other.
This is may sound weird and I know it's wrong, but I downpick it all except for those fast runs. I;ve tried alt picking and it doesn't get me the same dynamic sound.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
ah yeah, it feels a little better starting with a downstroke. But this picking pattern is quite hard, feels very awkward at first, but it's getting better. I was also playing it different from the tab, but looking back at the tab, it makes more sense. Thanks for the help!
The way paul gilbert picks is one technique i learned by watching one of his lessons. Instead if holding the pick between your thumb and first finger flat put the side of your first finger on the pick instead of the flat side and then slide it a little so that if you looked at your pick from the side it would look like this. /
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Don't want to make a new entire thread about Technical Difficulties but I got a question on doing those string skipping runs; how do you guys do that diminished string skipping lick? I can never properly get the notes articulate in time with legato technique. I'm still practicing the song of course but I always butcher that run!
I do that economy picked: d u d d u d d etc.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Amerikhastan
Paul Gilbert explains the picking for that riff as moving your hand as you would scratch a dog, it's a good analogy which should help you.

Er... mind if you explain that? I don't really think how I would scratch dogs.