My friend and I were having a conversation about my plan to work through Simandl's New Method for Bass and he said something to me which I consider strange.

He said something on the lines of "The thing about you is that you can just read this book and understand it, but me, I just play it"

He essentially admitted I knew more theory than him even though he's been a musician much longer.

Now I'm a bit confused. Is he saying I'm a bad musician or has he paid me a compliment?
Seems like he's saying a bit of both.

Though, I know what it's like to be a better theorist than player, and it sucks.
I'd say he was giving you a compliment but he may have worded it a bit odd?
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
he's saying he's better than you at playing music, but that you know more than him...
sounds kinda like a weird compliment
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
He probably means you don't fully apply all the concepts you know about theory into your playing.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
He probably means you don't fully apply all the concepts you know about theory into your playing.

Theory is like legs...too much and it trips you up...
Quote by Dimebag Dave

Probably this.

But I don't think he was trying to be mean. I think he was just pointing something out.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Probably this.

But I don't think he was trying to be mean. I think he was just pointing something out.

I'm sure he has a point.....
I thought the title said "terrorist". i was dissapointed

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Yeah, it sounds like he's saying you know a ton of theory but you aren't very good at applying it. I play with a guy who's been at it for about 28 years now and he always says in regards to theory: "You learn it, then you forget about it".
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I think he means he just doesn't put as much thought behind it and is more inclined to "go with the flow" or something like that, methinks.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by Garou1911
Yeah, it sounds like he's saying you know a ton of theory but you aren't very good at applying it. I play with a guy who's been at it for about 28 years now and he always says in regards to theory: "You learn it, then you forget about it".

This sounds like me. But at the same time I play with musicians who are pretty much the same....
theory is a bunch of crap if you just want to play in a band. flea can't read music and he is the best there is
He did neither, he just takes a different approach to music. He might have a really well-developed ear and rhythm and hence doesn't need theory. These people, when asked what they play and what it is based on usually just say "I play what sounds good".

I have the same thing with my flatmate, who played years longer than I have, yet only has a rudimentary grasp of theory. Doesn't hinder him though as he plays much better than I do and is faster at learning new pieces.
TS, I'm in the same position. I know a shitload of theory but I don't play very cleanly or know my way around the fretboard well enough to apply them on the spot, so I consider myself a much better theorist than guitarist.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
You know theres such a thing as a comment, something not meant to demean or encourage.

You need more confidence, i saw that thread u made a while back about waht that teacher did to you, you believed him. Thats why you felt rotten because you thought it might be true.

If your willing to work at it then you arent a waste or useless in any way. Just keep at it
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Quote by killboypowerhed
theory is a bunch of crap if you just want to play in a band. flea can't read music and he is the best there is

woah. Theory is pretty necessary if you want to play in a technical band. Also Flea is just a tad overrated. And he can read music.
Quote by hippiebass
woah. Theory is pretty necessary if you want to play in a technical band. Also Flea is just a tad overrated. And he can read music.

It's also highly necessary if you play in a worship band like mine. Everyone in the band I'm in is expected to read music and transpose on the fly.

Also, I have to improvise from the piano sheet music, which is very hard without any knowledge of theory.
Yeah, but I think it's safe to assume that none of us are Flea.

Sure, there are some very talented/gifted people out there who don't need it. Most of us aren't so fortunate. Just because it works for Flea doesn't mean it works for the other 99.99% of guitarists.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play