hey all, just wondering how many guitarists here actually strive to cover solo's note for note? Personally, i find that when i come to a solo in a song, i prefer to improvise in the given key; this stage of the song is, for me, a chance to implement creativity, as opposed to an immaculate replication of someone elses work. Then again, maybe i am just lazy for not learning the solo? but something tells me i would not get as much enjoyment from doing so. Does anyone else share a similar opinion?
For solos, it really depends on the what song. If it's one of those epic iconic solos that everyone recognizes, then I'll learn it pretty much note for note. If not, I'll learn how it starts, how it ends, and improvise in the middle.
depends on the song

like if i did time by pink floyd im not gonna make it up im gonna play it nearly note for note

but like stone cold bush by rhcp i make it up in a similar style

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

it feels good playing a solo from someone else note by note. Especially if its a complicated solo it gives , well me at least, a sense of accomplishment.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
you're technique will improve greatly if you learn solos note for note.

I personally dont do this too often, maybe if its a song i really really like. I know a few dream theater solos and that just about it, otherwise, when my band does covers i usually make my own up if i know the people we are playing for wont crucify me for it.
if you are playing for a crowd, they probably want what they're used to
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I love to improvise solos, however, most of the time when I do, I get told I played it wrong. So I mainly learn it note for note.
It's actually beneficial for people who aren't too great at improv/soloing to learn songs note for note...learning them note for note, instead of playing something they're used to, will teach them different ways of playing and will add to their improv arsenal. Even though I love improving a lot (and I'm pretty good at it), when learning a song, I'll make it a point to learn the solo the way it's written because I can always still learn something from it.
I used to learn basically everything note for note, but I improvise alot of things now, but there are just some solos which HAVE to be in the song otherwise it'd sound just weird

Like the arpeggios in Scarified or the solo in Curse Of Castle Dragon

I can improvise though, I'd like it to be better but meh.

Some songs you can improvise over but sometimes when I hear a solo and try to improvise over it in the right key, it never sounds "in place" if you know what I mean.
if i know what key its in and the scale, i like to kind of make it my own
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
For solos, it really depends on the what song. If it's one of those epic iconic solos that everyone recognizes, then I'll learn it pretty much note for note. If not, I'll learn how it starts, how it ends, and improvise in the middle.

This, pretty much. I make sure to learn the memorable bits in the middle too, though.

Except for slide. With slide it's pretty much a smash-and-grab affair anyway, so note for note goes down the tubes.