I could tap for hours on my bass. The problem is my strings are not good for them, as I get some of the worst harmonics I've ever heard from them. Any suggestions?
lighter gauge
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
If your good enough at tapping you should be able to tap pretty much the same on any strings... I personally use Ernie Ball Slinkies.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
If your good enough at tapping you should be able to tap pretty much the same on any strings... I personally use Ernie Ball Slinkies.

This is pretty much not true at all.
Ever see anyone tapping on the E string? Almost never.
Lighter gauge strings will help with tapping.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

Tapping on the E string is very common, especially with "piano tapping" (moonlight sonata, that sort of thing.) It is pretty much all down to technique.
^I was gonna say, I hardly tap at all and I always tap on the E string. If I do it, it must be common. At any rate, Ben is right. There is no good tapping string really. Maybe a lighter gauge would help a little, but even then it's mostly down to technique and action.
I guess my guitar playing has made me a stereotypical bass tapper :O
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

Lol? Pretty much every tapping line in my own original songs are involved on the E string and i have a pretty thick gauge :O.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
TS try putting a scrunchy around your bass at the nut. When you tap, the string vibrates on both sides of your hand, as opposed to only the right (towards the bridge) side vibrating when you play fingerstyle with regular fretting. Those extra sounds you hear are probably coming from the left (towards the nut) side of the string. The scrunchy will mute the extra notes coming from the left side. If you need to see it, just youtube Victor Wooten. The scrunchy can also be used to make the open strings sound more like closed notes.

Just a question, are you practicing tapping without an amp or with your volume down?
Got Bass?
if the strings are dead it isn't as as loud.
try the scrunchy. And try to improve technique. my right hand is too sloppy when I tap, because I never practice it, because I never want/need to use it. But that's just me- I play relatively simple basslines and slow leads the majority of the time. The rest is usually filled with random noises I can muster. you may need them for what you do.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
maybe your action is high, or your strings are death
but anyways you should be able to tap on any string
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400