Sadly, a combo won't do with the venues we can play at and I have probably a budget of 800 dollars to get a stack. I'm really looking for something that has nice cleans because my distortion pedal will do it all the way when it comes to that factor. I don't have a preference when it comes to Solid State or Tube. The cleans just need to sound good. Any suggestions?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
how about slaving your combo to a couple of good speakers rather than spending allot of money on a stack
A Jazz chorus would probably work, it's a combo but it's 120 watts.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I read the title as "Need good head"

As this wasn't sexual, I have no interest in the thread

*walks out*

Now- AC30 was the first to mind.
Quote by Alec Tricity
how about slaving your combo to a couple of good speakers rather than spending allot of money on a stack

because my combo is a spider
which im selling for 200 dollars to some kid
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
well what about a fender twin its not a head but its pretty ****ing loud.
im not one of these anti-head people but just for the sake of money cause you have a 800 dollars just get a twin reverb.
But i guese i see the anti-head peoples out there have a point what makes you think you need a half stack when it comes to being heard.

Line 6 spiders come in half stacks and theres no way not even the 200watt ones will be as loud as a twin reverb.
i have a 1/12 super 60 fender and i always have it on around 5 and i have people from like 6to 7houses down who say keep it down.
so here comes the ? again what makes you think you half stack.
its nice to have one but in your position just get a combo for the sake of money.
not only do you need a head but also a cab.
Last edited by the-kid44P at Jun 22, 2008,
yeah but another factor i think i should of added to begin with is i have 800 with my dad matching my 400 and thats only with a half stack seeing as he doesn't understand guitar amps and thinks a really nice combo won't do.
Quote by barden1069
Peavey Classic 30 Tube Amp Head? Those have great cleans.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
99% of the advice on here comes from 15 year old kids so i wouldn't listen to any of it..mine included!

go to the music store of your choice and plug your git-fiddle in,..and choose for yourself.
well im telling you hommie theres no half stack out there worth getting for 800$.\
where do you live exactly, city.
Tell your dad that the only halfstacks that are 800 bucks are "blah" (no offense to Windsor HS, and VK HS owners). 800 dollars put to a combo would be a MUCH MUCH MUCH better idea than stretching it with a halfstack.

An idea, have your dad take a look at this thread.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
1.Find strip club
2.Go in strip club
3.?????
4.Profit!

But seriously Fender tubes are renowned for their crystal clean tones. Try the Classic 50, poor mans Twin Reverb.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Tell your dad that the only halfstacks that are 800 bucks are "blah" (no offense to Windsor HS, and VK HS owners). 800 dollars put to a combo would be a MUCH MUCH MUCH better idea than stretching it with a halfstack.

^exactly

plus any tube combo 2/12 50 watts and up will acomadate everything short of the super bowl ok. so tell your dad not to worry we got his boy covered.
does anyone read the thread.
hes only got 800$.
I guese your best option is a used peavey classic 50 head with a used cab there go crazy.
Quote by gregs1020
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/msg/722318070.html <---- Buy that. And show your Dad this thread. I'm not 13 yrs old.. And yes, the title of the thread got me too.

this guy is right. a 2/12 combo might not look as menacing as a halfstack but it gets the job more than done especially when its 100 frieken whats of tube mojo.
Quote by Iceman 420
Try to find a used Fender Twin Reverb.

That's what I posted, in his city for 700 bucks, budget and crystal cleans. Boo Yah.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^800$ with cab
oh and that sig is so funny that guys a total retard couse the Iraq war wasent fought in the 50's.
actually it wasnt that long ago when oil was 20$ a barrel but that was before IRAQ.
Quote by jessexxx
99% of the advice on here comes from 15 year old kids so i wouldn't listen to any of it..mine included!

go to the music store of your choice and plug your git-fiddle in,..and choose for yourself.

Most of us giving good advice are either 17 or 18 (I'm almost 18) or older. Dave_MC, riffhog and Slats are a few that are 20+ that gives great advice.

Really all of your post is like this! So just STFU please?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
:
Most of us giving good advice are either 17 or 18 (I'm almost 18) or older. Dave_MC, riffhog and Slats are a few that are 20+ that gives great advice.
Or 40+ for the record. But who's counting... What did the guy say with the Twin Reverb? Or are you going to ignore good advice?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by darkarbiter7

+1

You will simply get much more for your money by getting a combo amp. If your father has trouble understanding that, show him some links to amps that come in both combo and head & cab form (Peavey Classic 30, Vox AC30, Fender Supersonic, for starters) to get an idea.

I don't know what kind of music you play, but you're not going to get louder, more giggable cleans from anything other than the Fender Twin Reverb. A 30W 1x12 tube combo will cut thru the mix much better than your 75W Spider. An 85W tube 2x12 will cause your audience to spontaneously combust. Traynor's YCV 80 is another great amp in this class that sells for a little less than the Twin, and has better built in crunch.

Quote by gregs1020
Or 40+ for the record.

I'm content to be described as 20+, thank you very much.

Yet somehow at my young age, I managed to get myself a teenage son who also plays guitar. He gigs with a 15W tube combo now, and we're looking to upgrade him on his next big gift getting opportunity to a 30W 2x12. It'll be the last amp he ever needs.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Please don't go for a stack. It's ridiculous that you need a stack to play your venues. Go for a good fender combo and toss an OD in front of it.
Being one of the "few" 40 plus people on this board, it is my opinion that the young pimple popping kids on this board can offer some good advice on equipment. When I was a teenager, there were not all the options that are available today. I really think some of these kids know there sh*t! Of course, us old farts likely have played more (now vintage) equipment...and can offer our experience.

Alot of it is how it is presented...some kids (and old farts) become fanbois of certain products and their posts are like "groundhog day." It's a movie BTW for those youngsters that do not know WTF I am talking about.

I wouldn't dismiss thoughts from some of these kids based on age IMHO.

Carry on!

Quote by Gabel

even if a combo isnt loud enough your probably have enough money left over to buy a nice mic for your amp to go into a PA system, if your shows are that big
Quote by mcrfobtai
Please don't go for a stack. It's ridiculous that you need a stack to play your venues. Go for a good fender combo and toss an OD in front of it.

Seriously...where are you playing at? Cuz I want in. I play 1000+ person capacity venues with a 2x12 combo.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Sadly, a combo won't do with the venues we can play at and I have probably a budget of 800 dollars to get a stack. I'm really looking for something that has nice cleans because my distortion pedal will do it all the way when it comes to that factor. I don't have a preference when it comes to Solid State or Tube. The cleans just need to sound good. Any suggestions?

Are you playing baseball fields without a PA? Because that's the only time you won't get away with a combo.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=6&TempID=7&STRID=112339&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=2293&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=2&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

Go to a shop with your dad and try either of those amps, and just see how loud you can get them before they chase you out of the shop...afterwards your dad will say "Okay, they're loud enough"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Fender twin, Peavey C50, and tranyor yvc80, yvc40 are all good combos that will have no trouble cutting through the mix and are seen at a lot of shows with 500+ people. If you really wanted a halfstack the Peavey Valveking is the only amp that comes to mind with somewhat decent cleans and is a halfstack.

Quote by Gabel

I'm 24 and think most of my advice is spot on in most cases.
Last edited by Johnbryant at Jun 23, 2008,
having a stack only slightly increases bass response and customizability, as well as some sound dispersion. A Combo can be JUST As loud. Guess what Pete Townshend uses live? Fender combos. What do the stones use live? fender combos. What did John Petrucci use on the last G3 tour? Mesa COMBOS

Combos are no less loud.

Get a Fender Twin Reverb or a JC-120
I should have chucked the Traynor YCV50 Blue in with my recommendations too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com