Page 1 of 4
so I've found a new love for soccer. I've always sort of made fun of it because it isn't as rough as the sport I played for the longest time(hockey), but now I have just fallen in love with the sport. Now I've got a ball, and I've been fooling around with it, but I really can't do to much with shots, I can just dribble and pass, and I really need to learn a bit more about the mechanics of the game. Now I understand the game pretty well, I understand the differences between defenders, mids and strikers, and I get most of the rules, I just need some tips on how to proceed in working on passing, shooting, and goalkeeping. I'm very interested in playing 'keeper, so any advice on that would be even better. Thanks in advance

-Wiz?
Join a team.

Oh and get a cup (two girls are optional).
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Join a team.

Oh and get a cup.

I will be playing for my school team in September, I just don't have anyone to play with until then seeing as none of my friends play.

... and I have quite an assortment of cups. I've had a hockey puck shatter one before.
It's going to be hard without anyone to play with. Try and play some 5-a-side jumpers-for-goalposts stuff at least.

If you do start playing with mates, dont use a huge pitch as that just encourages you to hoof the ball rather than dribble and pass it well.
learn to use both feet.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
The "toe-bang" is the footballers route to failure, learn control by learning which parts of your foot to hit the ball with.
If your set on keeper your training and practicing will be much different than any other position. Either way if your alone just try and juggle the ball or just kick it around. What I usually do is either just aim for an object or aim over it and work on your accuracy. That and play with friends as often as possible.
Like anything else you just need to practise. You REALLY NEED to find other people to practise with, any friends, family or collegues or anything like that. Not serious competition, just a friendly kick-about every now and then. It's quite difficult to learn goalkeeping or shooting skills on your own.

Oh, and may I be the first one to welcome you to the beautiful game!
Quote by subopolois
you lazy cheap bastard

Gear:
ESP LTD M-50
Marshall G80RCD
Boss ME-50
Ernie Ball STHB

Kill Crazy of the Red Dwarf Smeg Heads!
All you need is a football really and then you use your imagination. Kicking it against a wall is good way to improve your kicking skills and if you set up some goals (eg. two trees or even jackets as posts) you can work on your shooting, even if you're on own. Try keeping the ball up without it touching he ground in order your technique. But really, there's only so much you can do on your own. Go up training with a team or get to know some people who like to play. Also, I'd recommend for you to try playing outfield for a while, just so you get to know the game better.
Quote by Kensai
Oh and get a cup

I've been playing soccer my entire life and i've never ever used a cup for playing soccer. Now if you want to play keep its very difficult if you dont have anyone to shoot on you. Being a soccer keeper is a lot different from being a hockey keeper. But the best way to learn how to dribble better is set up a course of objects you have to get through like pylons or whatever you have lying around, and make your way through all of them. And to hone up on your shooting skill, make a small net big enough only for the ball to pass through. So when you shoot later when playing, your shots will be much more accurate, thats how I started.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Playing basketball is superior. You use hands instead of feet and you actually get fouled for not taking a shot. Soccer games practically always score like four points on one side maybe.

Although for soccer I think the best suggestion is to just practice the basics like any other sport.

1. Dribbling (just try going at different speeds)
2. Accurate passing (try hitting certain objects)
3. Shooting (try hitting inbetween objects)
Quote by DanRev
Do you go to Major League Soccer games aswell?

nope, no team in my area. I've watched a ton of matches of Euro 2008 though. That and I've been raised as a Man U fan by my parents for some reason.
okay, I have another question, I came back from the field an hour ago, I was practicing shots and passing by myself, and I had a hard time getting the ball up in the air. Now My left ankle(my kicking foot) hurts like hell, and I can't bend it upwards at all. Usually you can a bit, but mine is stuck, and I can't really put any weight on it. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong, and what I did to my foot?
Quote by wizards?
nope, no team in my area. I've watched a ton of matches of Euro 2008 though. That and I've been raised as a Man U fan by my parents for some reason.

i was inclined to help you, but you're a Man U fan. so I have to hate you.
I'm a pretty good goalkeeper (Cocky bastard, yes), so hopefully some of these tips will help...

Not goalkeeping first though, just outfield play, as it helps a lot to be good outfield too.

Passing - You should be able to pass the ball along the floor without thinking about it, and with accuracy and speed. With long range passing it isn't essential to be able to play them with both feet, but it helps, so practice it. With the long range passing, you need to practice getting a good speed on the ball, that will be easy for the receiver to take, but make it to the opponent.

Dribbling... How good exactly is your dribbling? If you actually haven't been in a game situation I'd guess it's not amazing. You need to be able to run quick with the ball, whilst still in control, and using your body to trick defenders into thinking you're going one way. then go the other. Also, learn some dribbling tricks, such as the step over, and elastic, as they'll help you get out of tight situations, and give you more time on the ball.

Shooting - You should be able to shoot in at least two different ways; curling the ball into the net, and with power. When curling the ball, you need to take into account the distance to goal. If you're near, you're best trying to get a lot of curl, with some dip to take it past the keeper. Do this by leaning back slightly as you hit it with the outside of your boot, and not putting too much power on it. When shooting with power it's important that you put your ball through the ball, and lean over. This makes sure your shot is accurate, as if you don't shoot through the ball, and your leg drags normally your shot will go wide, and be tame. If you lean backwards you won't get the power on your shot, and it will go over.

Okay, so goalkeeping...

It's a very specific position, and is probably the easiest position to become in a team, as there's less competition, so that's good.

I used to play in goal at school during lunch and break, etc. and you could probably tell that I was a good goalkeeper, as I guess I made good saves, but playing in goal in school is COMPLETELY different than playing on a full 11-a side pitch. During the first 6 months of playing in goal for an 11-a side team I was terrible, constantly being lobbed, not catching crosses, etc. but after that I did good.

You really need to be able to follow the game well as a keeper, and move as your team does, like as if your penalty area is a miniature model of the pitch. If your team is attacking, you need to be at the edge of your penalty box, as if a ball is played over the top, you can become a sweeper (unless a perfect ball is played) and run out and clear the danger. If your team is about the half way line in possession, you should be about 12 yards away from your goal (the penalty spot). If the other team is in that position, you should be a little deeper, about 10 yards. You just have to get used to it, I find myself walking around the penalty spot without thinking about it now, but on my first few games, I had to think 'Where would be best to stand?'.

One-on-ones - As a keeper you really need to be looking to save a minimum of 50% of these. If the attack is coming from your left hand side, you need to come out and make yourself big, but be prepared to dive towards your right, as that's the most likely place they'll place the ball, if they go for the near post, hopefully, as you've made yourself big, your legs should block the shot. It's the same but the other way around if they were attacking from the right. If they're coming from straight on, come out very quickly, and make yourself as big as possible, try and get your legs, or body to block the shot. You also need to be aware of players taking too big of a dribble, when one-on-one, as this is a great opportunity for you to pounce on the ball.

If that perfect ball is played (that I mentioned above), it's important that you backpedal to about a quarter of the way out of your goal, and as they enter your penalty area, begin to come out. As you don't want to come out of your area, where you can't use your hands, and if you stay on the edge of the area, it makes it easier for them to go past you, or to simply lob you.

Freekicks - You need to learn to position your wall properly. What I do is go to the post nearest the side the ball is on, and position the wall so that there isn't a gap in which the player can shoot through onto that side. I then stand on the opposite side to block any shot from that side. If it freekick is in the middle, I normally position it slightly more to one side, as it helps me to have a better view of the ball, but not too much, as you need it quite central.

Goalkicks - IMO this is one of the hardest parts of goalkeeping, and it is also a lot harder than just kicking the ball. I found that I could hit the ball quite far, but not from goalkicks, as the technique needed is different. You don't want to try and hit it with power, you want to put your foot through the ball, and lean back, to get the height to take it past players. It is quite tricky, I only started to get decent at goalkicks in my third year of playing as a keeper.

With crossing you've just got to be brave, and time your run for the ball right. You don't want to stand where you know the ball will go for a while, as when you go to catch the ball you will be carrying no momentum and be clattered. You want to go towards that spot and reach it just as the ball gets there. If you don't think you can get the ball don't come for it, as you'll only be leaving your goal empty. Like I said, you've just got to be brave, especially at corners, as there's more people contesting for the ball. You may also want to put players on your posts to help block any shots. I personally put one player on the backpost, as I feel this is where I am most vulnerable, as I'm not too good at backpedaling, yet I leave the front post empty, as I feel quite comfortable with it being that way. It's just personal preference, you need to know what you need.

Long shots - These are normally quite powerful, so you need to make sure that you have good wrist strength (not arm, wrist... arm would help too though), to pound the ball away. If a shot is straight at you, make sure you get your whole body behind the ball, don't try and catch it like you would a tennis ball, as if it slips through your hands, then it results in a goal. If a shot is particularly powerful, fall to the ground, trapping the ball against the ground and yourself, with no holes for it to escape.

Penalties - I have two methods for penalties, if my first method isn't working during a game, I'll revert to the other (I only usually get this chance in penalty shootouts). My first method is to not stand in the middle of the goal, but slightly to my weaker side (every keeper has a weaker side), I make it noticeable enough for the penalty taker to see btw. I am then ready to dive towards my stronger side, as that's normally where they go, but if they do go to my weaker side, there's less of a gap to dive into, I actually tend to save shots that side with my legs.

My second method is to watch the penalty taker carefully and look at his eyes. Most penalty takers will glance to the side they plan to hit it into before the take the penalty, so I see which side they look to and dive that way. If the penalty taker is looking with intent at a certain side, it's likely he's trying to make you believe he's going that way, and then going the other. So if he does this, dive to the opposite side he's looking at.

A major factor in goalkeeping is the condition of the pitch. If the ground is hard and dry, the ball will bounce high, so make sure not to get caught out by this. If the ground is wet, the ball will skid along its surface very quickly, so again don't be caught out by this. If it is wet, and a shot is struck with a lot of power, and you feel it may slip through your hands, punch it.

During a game once, it hailed during the match, and turned the ground from hard and dry to wet. The team had a tame shot, which bounced about 1.5 metres infront of me, which would would have just bounced tamely into my arms on the hard and dry ground, but it skidded and went through my legs into the goal. So be careful about the surface changing.

I think that's it... Just remember, your first few months probably won't go to good, as you need to get used to positioning, etc. But after that, as long as you have the skill and bravery required, you should be fine.

And yes, I do expect a 'Thanks Lewis, you're the best reply'

EDIT: You support a crap team, you should convert to Liverpool before it's too late.
Quote by Calabur

EDIT: You support a crap team, you should convert to Liverpool before it's too late.

4th place is pretty good....
Call me Jack
Quote by wizards?
...why is that wrong? I was raised that way, I don't really know any better.

If you want to get into football, you're going to have to get used to people hating you for no reason other than your football team of choice.
Quote by DanRev
If you want to get into football, you're going to have to get used to people hating you for no reason other than your football team of choice.

well that's stupid. Just saying it seems like there are better reasons to hate someone.

and Lewis these are for all your help, you kick ass mate
Quote by wizards?
okay, I have another question, I came back from the field an hour ago, I was practicing shots and passing by myself, and I had a hard time getting the ball up in the air. Now My left ankle(my kicking foot) hurts like hell, and I can't bend it upwards at all. Usually you can a bit, but mine is stuck, and I can't really put any weight on it. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong, and what I did to my foot?

Sounds like you've pulled it or really overstretched it. When you're practicing do you warm up and warm down? And do you do stretches in between? If not then the same thing happens to me, and usually the cramp takes over.
Have a bath and relax it.

EDIT: And congratulations, you are now acceepted by everyone British on UG
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
Sounds like you've pulled it or really overstretched it. When you're practicing do you warm up and warm down? And do you do stretches in between? If not then the same thing happens to me, and usually the cramp takes over.
Have a bath and relax it.

EDIT: And congratulations, you are now acceepted by everyone British on UG

I do warm up, I don't warm down too much though. I need to get some cleats, I'm guessing that had a bit to do with it as well. Damn US trainers suck. I think it was a bit of my kicking technique anyways, because that was really bad I'm guessing.
Quote by Calabur
My second method is to watch the penalty taker carefully and look at his eyes. Most penalty takers will glance to the side they plan to hit it into before the take the penalty, so I see which side they look to and dive that way. If the penalty taker is looking with intent at a certain side, it's likely he's trying to make you believe he's going that way, and then going the other. So if he does this, dive to the opposite side he's looking at.

Any smart penalty taker knows not to look at the goal like that. You always look at both posts and choose your side, look at the ball and shoot.

Quote by wizards?
I do warm up, I don't warm down too much though. I need to get some cleats, I'm guessing that had a bit to do with it as well. Damn US trainers suck. I think it was a bit of my kicking technique anyways, because that was really bad I'm guessing.

Don't worry, it'll come in time. No one ever picked up a ball and had amazing international level skills with it

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by wizards?
well that's stupid. Just saying it seems like there are better reasons to hate someone.

There are better reasons but thats how it is. Might be different in America, your major league soccer fans might be very civil.
Quote by DanRev

There are better reasons but thats how it is. Might be different in America, your major league soccer fans might be very civil.

all three of them? Oh yeah they're pretty nice to eachother.
Quote by DanRev

Civil football fans? Now there's a thought!

As a United fan, I love the completely unjustified hatred of United fans. People often say they hate Man U, then I ask why, and people just look at me, like a cow looks upon the lights of an oncoming train...
Quote by DanRev
By united, you mean Leeds United right?

I know I'm hoping that.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by saphrax
No.

I haven't lived in Leeds that long.

You'll be dead before too long.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Start watching football, loads of it. Figure out what time the EPL and the Spanish Primiera Liga come on TV there on watch them play. Watch ongoing Euro. As for PLAYING it, try getting a coach. If not, two helpful tips.
-DO NOT, under any circumstances, use your toe to kick the ball.
-Head with you eyes open.

Start off just running up and down the field with the ball at your feet all the time. Keep the ball as close to you as possible, even while at full speed. Next practice side footing. See how hard you can kick with the side of your foot, while the ball skims along the ground. Use a goal (two anythings can make one), aim for a spot and don't stop until you can hit the spot you want. Make sure you can hit to both left and right of your foot. Keep updating.
Quote by saphrax
No.

You're the answer to your question then. Manchester United fans that dont come from Manchester or surrounding areas are one of the main reasons no one likes them.

Now, if you used to live in Manchester, then fair enough.
Quote by 05t16
SUPPORT MAN UNITED FIRST

And then kill yourself

Fixed

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by saphrax
^

Naw, I hide in Harrogate a lot...

Good, you'll be safer there. Emmerdale will take care of you.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by DanRev
By united, you mean Leeds United right?

Leeds have a football team?

(Woo Man U!)
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Page 1 of 4