Im going to be writing some songs and im going to use open chords like a G and D for example for thoe chorus. The chords will be played with distortion. Would you recemend any pointers?
Last edited by jc71corvette at Jun 22, 2008,
Your pointer finger is vital. Yes, Django (sp?) played with 2 fingers, but that doesn't mean you should restrict yourself unless it's for an exercise.

What is it you want to know and do?
Learn your theory????
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
I like adding A and C chords to add a bit of depth. But you can also turn D's into Suspended chords by adding or removing a finger
O sorry!!! I forgot a huge part of the question.

I ment to ask im playing them with distortion
Quote by jc71corvette
Don't use much distortion. Heavy distortion tends to sound very bad when used with full chords.
Quote by jc71corvette
O sorry!!! I forgot a huge part of the question.

As BGC mentioned, open chords sound bad with too much distortion; in particular, the third gets muddied up and the entire chord sounds like a heavily distorted mess.
I wouldnt play full chords if you have a lot of distortion. Maybe just some triads or something along those lines. If you are using very light distortion (like a fuzzy tone) then go for it.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by zippidyduda
I wouldnt play full chords if you have a lot of distortion. Maybe just some triads or something along those lines. If you are using very light distortion (like a fuzzy tone) then go for it.
A triad is a full chord, but there's a big difference between x 7 6 4 x x and 0 2 2 1 0 0.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
A triad is a full chord, but there's a big difference between x 7 6 4 x x and 0 2 2 1 0 0.

Yeah thats what I meant, like for a G play 320xxx rather than 320003.

My bad
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by bangoodcharlote
The thing is that the second chord is a triad.

Ah, your right.

****, Im going to a thread where I wont feel completely stupid
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Thanks guys. Im a little tired of using power chords for a chorus. Im actualy wanting the full chords for a slower paced song written in the minor scale.
Quote by jc71corvette
Thanks guys. Im a little tired of using power chords for a chorus. Im actualy wanting the full chords for a slower paced song written in the minor scale.
G and D are not going to be the only chords you play if you're in a minor key.

What's cool is playing a powerchord riff w/ heavy distortion, and then the full chords underneath on an acoustic guitar. Or better yet, fingerpicked chords underneath!