I still don't consider myself "good", but here's how I look at it.

You shouldn't be comparing yourself to people in terms of things like "good", "bad", and assessing each skill in terms of where on the ladder it puts you. Think of it as this: where do you want to be as a guitarist and a musician, and where are you in relation to that goal?

Think about that and you'll have your answer.
never
i have been playing for 9 years and i still dont consider myself a good guitarist and i have had people tell me that i am but i still dont think so
there is still always something to learn and no one knows everything about the guitar so
When I listen to people play at school and noticed how much better I am than they are.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I would say you are finally a good guitarist when you are able to listen to a song, and within 1 minute or two be able to play along. I also think that you are good when you can just sit down and start playing random notes that go in harmony with each other. Also, i think probably one of the hardest things to do, is to go up to someone else whos playing and just saying ok play on a A# scale and both play along in harmony. I have only been playing for 6 months and i consider myself ok because i can play parts of difficult songs.
To consider yourself good is to put limitations on yourself..in a way

But to have confidence is a huge advantage..sometimes
One big issue i find with many guitar players is an obsession of duplicating songs note for note.
the way i see it, a big part of being good is having your own style. I don't care if you can play the most difficult song in the world 20 times in a row without making a single mistake, that doesn't mean anything.
also they should be much farther along in the learning process than what you mentioned (barre chords, open chords, etc).
there are many other factors, and different people look for different things.

I would say you are finally a good guitarist when you are able to listen to a song, and within 1 minute or two be able to play along. I also think that you are good when you can just sit down and start playing random notes that go in harmony with each other. Also, i think probably one of the hardest things to do, is to go up to someone else whos playing and just saying ok play on a A# scale and both play along in harmony. I have only been playing for 6 months and i consider myself ok because i can play parts of difficult songs.

did you know that most average joe's can do that?
you've only been playing for 6 months so everything seems impossible now, but it's not as hard as you think.

Edit: i am in no way saying i think i am good.
far from it.
Last edited by that1l)ude at Jun 22, 2008,
I started to consider myself 'good' about say 2 months ago, when I REALLY started getting good at playing all the easy stuff. I mean now I play the easy stuff near perfectly like a pro. I hate it when people say stuff like "That songs f***ing easy, try something a little harder p***y." Most people just don't get that it takes a LOT of skill to even play the easiest of songs very well.

Take a song like "Simple Man," a pretty easy song in my book. It doesn't take that much skill to play it decently (like practicing it for like a couple hours or so), but I would say it takes a BUTTLOAD of skill to play it nearly flawless.

It doesn't matter how easy a song is, it just matters how well you play it.

So yeah, I would consider myself a good guitarist. I'm getting pretty good at playing solos and I hope to master that soon.
I started to consider myself 'good' about say 2 months ago, when I REALLY started getting good at playing all the easy stuff. I mean now I play the easy stuff near perfectly like a pro. I hate it when people say stuff like "That songs f***ing easy, try something a little harder p***y." Most people just don't get that it takes a LOT of skill to even play the easiest of songs very well.

Take a song like "Simple Man," a pretty easy song in my book. It doesn't take that much skill to play it decently (like practicing it for like a couple hours or so), but I would say it takes a BUTTLOAD of skill to play it nearly flawless.

It doesn't matter how easy a song is, it just matters how well you play it.

So yeah, I would consider myself a good guitarist. I'm getting pretty good at playing solos and I hope to master that soon.

imo it doesn't take much skill at all to copy someone else's song note for note. i don't care how flawlessly you play it.
I personally do not think there is a set "good" or "bad" at guitar. To someone with no guitar experience, you can be the best guitarist ever, and someone who has been playing for years may consider your playing crap.

I think someone is good at guitar when they actually enjoy playing for the music, not just to impress people. That and when they can actually play semi simple songs.
Quote by that1l)ude
did you know that most average joe's can do that?
you've only been playing for 6 months so everything seems impossible now, but it's not as hard as you think.

imo it doesn't take much skill at all to copy someone else's song note for note. i don't care how flawlessly you play it.

I know plenty of professional musicians who could never learn an entire song in a minute or two. Of course it depends on the songs, but most of them require quite a bit more work than that.

As for skill required to play someone elses song note for note? Well what do you define as skill? It'd take a hell of a lot of skill to play Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai or stuff like that note for note.

But we're talking technical skill not creative skill.

Although I agree in a way that learning songs note for note is a little silly. I've always preferred to learn the general idea and direction of a song and then just kind of play it in my own way. The only time I'll play anything note for note is any kind of signature riff that the song has.
Quote by Grown
When you can play what you hear in your head.

+1

once you can speak through and control the instrument your good
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
I don't, but I do know I'm at least better than most of these douchebags in my town that think their beginner guitars are the greatest thing ever while they incorrectly play smoke on the water over and over again on one string. Those people are a disgrace to music if they never take it anywhere else and claim they are hot ****.
Unlike a lot of people in this thread, I consider myself good. Calling yourself isn't a cocky thing to say, it's just acknowledging that you're proficient at you're instrument. Other people considered me good when I could play the rhythms to songs we like perfectly. I didn't consider myself good at that point.

I considered myself good when I could track my guitar playing (while recording) easily, when I felt comfortable with the instrument enough to improvise on a whim, and when I could solo.

And by solo, I don't mean going up a pentatonic scale, I mean actually getting off on your guitar and feeling the music. I just wish I had the equipment to record myself. Nothing is more frustrating than writing music and not being able to share it. Of course I could record ****ty guitar demos on a 15w amp like in my profile, but I am way to much of a perfectionist for that.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
I don't, but I do know I'm at least better than most of these douchebags in my town that think their beginner guitars are the greatest thing ever while they incorrectly play smoke on the water over and over again on one string. Those people are a disgrace to music if they never take it anywhere else and claim they are hot ****.

Irony, much?

Everybody has to start somewhere, don't be such a dick.

And AcousticBum...you weren't funny the first time you posted, and it's not getting any better. Don't give up your day job
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
when i think of somebody who can play the guitar

i think of someone who can solo well and "feel" the solo.

someone who can improvise well imo.

to me thats what any musician should be able to do
It's really your view of yourself vs. the view others have of you. Like anyone who has put time and energy with discipline into learning a technique, a trade or what have you, those without the skills looking in are in awe, but you see yourself as "not there yet" in whichever respect. If you're really passionate, you always want to get better and better in your own way(s).

It's being happy, but not content
Quote by dannyboy1992
when i think of somebody who can play the guitar

i think of someone who can solo well and "feel" the solo.

someone who can improvise well imo.

to me thats what any musician should be able to do

That would be a good Lead Guitarist.

A good guitarist would be someone who can play a simple acoustic or jam out awesome licks. A good guitarist is somebody who is an all rounder when it comes to different styles on the guitar. I find it hard to explain but I hope at least somebody understands what I`m talking about, also +1 Panda point to that1l)ude, keep up the great posts.

Edit: I do not see myself as a good guitarist, but maybe a Beginner/Intermediate ( more so beginner ) all round guitarist.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
I've never been good. I've made people think I'm good by playing some famous song. I'll only be good when I can start to make up my own **** and melt of the city's face while I'm playing it.
When I could play in a band.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
for me, good is good sounding improvisation. if you can play a cover really good, that's all you can do. if you can learn from a cover, and use what you learned to make your own music, you get ahead. I started with covers, and made those songs I learned work as inspiration for my own playing, using music I listened to as an influence in my guitar playing.
Quote by poguemahon
for me, good is good sounding improvisation. if you can play a cover really good, that's all you can do.

No, not really. It means that's all you're attempting to do in that setting.