Page 1 of 2
Ok, not really, well maybe...

Anyway, I've been playing guitar for 2 1/2 years, but pretty much after the first years I just lost interest. I got pretty good, but all I did was learned how to read tabs and play songs from other artists, and not so difficult songs at that. I want to start a band, but I sure as hell am not ready. What do I need to learn in order to start writing my own songs and guitar parts? I really know absolutely nothing about music theory and all that stuff. What should I do to bring my interest in guitar back up? I actually want to play, but I'm just too lazy. I thought that I should maybe buy a new guitar, I have two but one sucks, and a shiny new guitar might give me motivation to play it. Help me out guys.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
start trying to learn music theory through this site it makes you fell like your getting better
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
The most important thing is to learn your scales and chords, and then learn to put them together. Honestly, you dont need lessons for this. Just try to connect yourself to the scales and chords and treat it as an emotional vent. Whenever I get tired of guitar, I try to put myself in a strong emotional and artistic state. I try to get very happy, sad, angry, whatever. Then I try to express myself through that. Over time, ou get better at expressing yourself through your music. At first you might suck, but dont give up, it can take years before you get good at that.

To sum all that up, if you are getting tired of guitar, stop learning other peoples stuff and do your own. Connect yourself to what you are doing. And a new guitar always helps
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
umm, i think you should start by choosing who you are gonna be in your band. then write some riffs/solos, and make a song with only the guitars, and then explore vocals, drums etc.
at least thats how i do it.
To regain motivation, play something completely different. I was in a rut yesterday, restrung the acoustic and started playing some fingerpicking stuff and started doing some more classically-influenced lead work and my interest is much stronger than it's been in a while.
apparently ur not into guitar if u realy want to be good you would play, its simple ur lazy and have no will to better yourself, ive never tooken a lesson in my life but i am able to play how i like and other people think it sounds good.<----------SKILL
if guitar playing itself has become stale new gear probably won't change it. try learning songs by ear, its always fun and interesting and makes you feel smart :P. as for writing songs, just play what sounds good to your ear, don't get too caught up in theory until you start getting more serious into music.
I'm not here to inspire you. I'm here to make your own life seem slightly less sad by comparison.
Quote by freakypop
apparently ur not into guitar if u realy want to be good you would play, its simple ur lazy and have no will to better yourself, ive never tooken a lesson in my life but i am able to play how i like and other people think it sounds good.<----------SKILL

Shut up.
Quote by zippidyduda
The most important thing is to learn your scales and chords, and then learn to put them together. Honestly, you dont need lessons for this. Just try to connect yourself to the scales and chords and treat it as an emotional vent. Whenever I get tired of guitar, I try to put myself in a strong emotional and artistic state. I try to get very happy, sad, angry, whatever. Then I try to express myself through that. Over time, ou get better at expressing yourself through your music. At first you might suck, but dont give up, it can take years before you get good at that.

To sum all that up, if you are getting tired of guitar, stop learning other peoples stuff and do your own. Connect yourself to what you are doing. And a new guitar always helps

Scales and chordes

the boring way to learn music
Quote by :-D
To regain motivation, play something completely different. I was in a rut yesterday, restrung the acoustic and started playing some fingerpicking stuff and started doing some more classically-influenced lead work and my interest is much stronger than it's been in a while.

Yeah this is a good idea. I was in a rut playing fusion for a couple weeks and it just became a drag. Then I got back into playing Bebop and Blues, and am groovin again. Working on a Miles Davis transcription now to keep the ear sharp.
Quote by freakypop
Scales and chordes

Not at all.

Learn a scale (it takes, what, 5 minutes?) and use it to express yourself.

Its not boring (OK, maybe sometimes ), but its necessary. And it is well worth the efforts.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by freakypop
Scales and chordes

You mean "an effective way to learn music". You need to leave this thread.
Thanks for the help, but I'm not even entirely sure what a scale is.

I'm still interested, but like I said I'm lazy, I'll pick up the guitar, get it nice and tuned, adjust the tone knobs on my amps to get the sound I want, play a few songs and then put it down. I don't know about the playing different stuff idea though because I won't be as motivated to learn something I'm not interested in.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Thanks for the help, but I'm not even entirely sure what a scale is.

I'm still interested, but like I said I'm lazy, I'll pick up the guitar, get it nice and tuned, adjust the tone knobs on my amps to get the sound I want, play a few songs and then put it down. I don't know about the playing different stuff idea though because I won't be as motivated to learn something I'm not interested in.

That's exactly the point -- you'll gain interest as you go along and you'll improve as a result. Also, if you want to learn some theory, try the sticky at the top of this forum.
Quote by :-D

That definately helps, I remember a while ago I was playing mostly clean chord progressions and mellow solos and stuff (John Frusciante style) and although I love playing new interesting progressions, it got tiring. So I tried a little bit of metal and it certainly spiced things up

When you explore new styles you can use bits and peices of what you pick up and fuse them together. As sort of an example, look at a guitarist like John 5. He mixes country/bluegrass with metal, and he has become a very influential guitarist (not a fan myself, but whatever). Then theres Hillel Slovak (RHCP guitarist in the '80s) and he mixed his LA punk music with funk. That obviously worked out for them.

Even if you never end up using those new styles, it gets you interested in what you are doing again.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Cool. I think I will have to look up the scales and chords. If anyone has a link to comprehensive help with these that would be awesome. And I'll also learn a few songs from different bands, maybe some RHCP and Metallica to get a taste of the different styles. I still want a new guitar though . A little off topic, but if anyone has a recommendation for a cheap yet not **** sounding guitar that would be cool too.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Cool. I think I will have to look up the scales and chords. If anyone has a link to comprehensive help with these that would be awesome. And I'll also learn a few songs from different bands, maybe some RHCP and Metallica to get a taste of the different styles. I still want a new guitar though . A little off topic, but if anyone has a recommendation for a cheap yet not **** sounding guitar that would be cool too.

I can guaruntee that once you learn a little bit of theory you will start to enjoy your music a bit more.

What exactly is your price range for the guitar?
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

$100-$200

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
$100-$200

Hmm... you are very limited on what you can get in that case. In fact, I wouldnt reccommend getting anything at all until you manage to save more. There isnt much you can get until you hit the $400-$600 range, honestly.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Well I wasn't really looking for anything amazing, just something that doesn't suck that I could toy around with. I'll just use that one for practicing scales and chords, it will be my "starter" guitar as my first guitar really really really sucked.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Well I wasn't really looking for anything amazing, just something that doesn't suck that I could toy around with. I'll just use that one for practicing scales and chords, it will be my "starter" guitar as my first guitar really really really sucked.

Well, considering your price range, any guitar you buy will essentially be an extremely low-end beginner guitar. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, right? I used a beginner guitar years and years ago as well, and it worked out ok for me.

Try looking at this one, it seems to be a decent enough guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Yeah, I thought I'd have to get a squier, it doesn't matter though. But I already have all the stuff in that pack so I won't be getting that. Now I just have to look up scales and what the heck they are.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by clincher09
Yeah, I thought I'd have to get a squier, it doesn't matter though. But I already have all the stuff in that pack so I won't be getting that. Now I just have to look up scales and what the heck they are.

Good luck, PM me if you ever need any help
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Well, if you have a good site for beginner scales and chords that would be neat.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
For $200 you can get a perfectly good guitar. If there's nothing really wrong
with your current one, don't get one just for "retail therapy". Buying stuff you
don't need does nothing for your motivation in any kind of lasting way. Look for
solutions in the same place you find the problems.
Well I actually do need a new one, my good one is used for drop tunings, the one that I keep in standard sucks. I just need a cheap guitar to keep in standard tuning.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Ibanez RG321 is pretty decent.

The theory FAQ sticky here in MT's decent for sure. Plus, MT itself to ask (specific) questions. Try your best to analyze what other musicians have done and take what you can out of it(arranging, riffs, etc.).
get a completely different instrument. an ukelele for instance xD
i'm gonna get one :P just to mess around.
and too be scared to play your 'crappy' guitar. it may sound bad, but it's probably just as playable as the other. and you shouldn't care too much about the way it sounds yet. it's not like you're gonna record an album just yet.
the chords and scales you learn are all apart of "music theory" you just dont understand the reason of the chord or scale
just go learn more chords and scales and don't worry about the theory as much because (in my own opinion) when you start getting into theory you start to lose what makes the guitar fun i starts to become more of a critical thing rather something you do to have fun (not that theory wont help you because it will very much do so)
LMFAO if u cant make a riff or a song with out staying inside of a scale and useing chordes you are not a real musician, hey i use scales and chordes but dont let it be a guide line to your music if u want emotion to "flow" out then just jam out you have natural musicianship from the scales and chordes you know all im saying is just dont sit and think of 5 chordes to play and then throw in a scale thats retarded
I used to be in that exact same rut, about a year ago. Now, everyday, all day, I have no problem finding motivation to play. How I got here, was by doing a few things, each contributing:

a)learn some theory, buy some books, read this forum a lot

b)practice learning by ear, don't read tab, pick easy songs at first and also record yourself playing so you know what you sound like. You've got to be your own harshest critic

c)the biggest one of all for me was learning the fretboard, or more specifically learning how to play in key all over the fretboard. I remember watching jimi hendrix, david gilmour and john frusciante just go nuts all over the guitar, but all I could do was follow patterns in songs I'd learned and if I tried to deviate from this I sucked. What I did was start with one key, and learn it on the entire fretboard. Spend some time doing the grunt work of memorizing the fretboard, and the rest of the time experimenting with what you know on the fretboard to make it musical. It takes a long time to do this, but trust me, when you can go from the lowest to the highest fret smoothly, it makes it all worth it.
Quote by freakypop
LMFAO if u cant make a riff or a song with out staying inside of a scale and useing chordes you are not a real musician, hey i use scales and chordes but dont let it be a guide line to your music if u want emotion to "flow" out then just jam out you have natural musicianship from the scales and chordes you know all im saying is just dont sit and think of 5 chordes to play and then throw in a scale thats retarded

LMFAO shut the **** up. Nobody wants to listen to you brag about how good you are. And also, when you want to help someone, you can start by not mocking them. Douche.

But what the guy above me said about learning the fretboard is also vital. Do that along with your chords and scales.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

not only was he a douche, he was wrong. James Hetfield(one of many) used to write songs when he knew dickall about staying in key, and he's sold millions of albums. That guy should honestly be banned to prevent others from not only getting discouraged but mislead at the same time.
Ignore freakypop, he's just here to troll so don't feed him.

TS, this may sound a bit blunt, but it's what I've come to realise it lately. We ALL suck. Everyone playing guitar on the whole planet sucks. We'll never be any good, but what we have to do is strive to suck less. I prefer this mentality than the I want to be the greatest, because if there's always something I can improve, I know I need to do it.

Don't worry if you feel down or a bit depressed because your playing isn't where you want it. Just practice man and when you do something well, give yourself lots of praise, really, smile and think: "****, I couldn't do that half an hour ago and now I've managed to get it. I'm really proud of myself." It doesn't matter if all you did was learn on small three note phrase, because you've learnt something and you've improved.

So just sit back and think about your playing. Accept where it's at. It's fruit of what you've done so far and there's no point of crying over spilt milk, the best thing you can do is to clean up the mess and pour yourself another glass!

So get off the computer get up the guitar and start learning something new. You'll enjoy it and you'll feel better. I hope I helped.
Listen to confusius and farcry. They have some useful advice. And learning music theory won't take away from you playing at all. It is only used to explain why something sounds the way it does. And the theory sticky is very useful for learning your beginning theory. Also, check out the theory forums at guitarmasterclass.net. They have some very knowledgable instructors on that site.

For me, I was in one of these ruts about 6 months ago. I was playing a lot of instrumental rock and some metal, and I just felt bored. Then I began to listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan. I learned as much from the Texas Flood album as was possible, and then relearned it all because I loved it so much. Expand your horizons, learn some theory, and just remember how much fun playing guitar is supposed to be!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by freakypop

Jesus ****ing Christ, you need to shut up. People stay within scales and chords for all music (almost all, anyway); that's what music is, you idiot. If you want to learn how to improvise, you're going to need to learn about scales and chords. And if you're not playing a scale on top of your chord progression, what are you playing? Have you just invented a whole different branch of music that's completely nondependent on scales? The only thing that's retarded around here is you. You need to shut up, leave this thread never give advice to anyone again. Ever.
Do not feed the troll. He will only get more and more hungry, best method is to ignore him and let him starve himself to death.
Quote by confusius
Do not feed the troll. He will only get more and more hungry, best method is to ignore him and let him starve himself to death.

I'm doing that so NOBODY that comes into this thread will listen to a word of that crap.
Page 1 of 2