i really wanted to like my Ibanez RG120 (Black Finish) because i'm a big fan of ibanez, and after my squier broke i bought this one as a subsitute untill i could could a better guitar. everytime i use the whammy bar it falls a half-step out of tune. my cousin joked that if i ever wanted to tune a half step down i would just have to use the whammy bar. when i decided not to use the tremelo my the guitar had more problems. When i wanted to tune in a lower tuning (often this happenes right before my eyes) my guitar somehow goes back. Ex: If i want to go to Drop D my guitar will climb to back to a D# or an out of tune E. i am seriously considering gettting my squier fixed and returning this. After all, i had almost no problems with my squier untill recently, and i paid almost $150 less for it. I use a Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal and Boss Metal Zone Distortion, basicly i play really loud with heavy distortion. I love the way the rg120 sounds distored and clean. The humbuckers are a big improment over the single-coils on my squier, but with these tuning problems i'm not sure what to do. Is there any way i could fix my guitar to make it better?
If you really like the RG, you could buy locking tuners so it can stay in tune, or upgrade to a better guitar with a better trem/nut setup. Will cost a pretty penny compare to new tuners, though.
Without Bullets that happens to Fenders... Maybe Ibanez needs a specific type of string to keep in tune during whammy.
You just need to get the bridge set up right. And it's like that with all floating trems when tuning down. Even on my strat, when I goto Drop D, the tension on the bridge goes down, causing the strings to go slightly high. Just get your guitar set up to one tuning, and don't look forward to changing it.
i have a Ibanez S470 its has locking zr tremolo, never goes out of tune, i maybe have to tune it once every 4 days.

whens the last time you changed your strings?
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
if youn want to have a decent guitar with Fr style trem, you will need to get a guitar around the $400 range... Jackson?
You may know me as that "password"guy
Quote by powerpiker

whens the last time you changed your strings?

never, i've had it for about a week or so
I screwed the bridge of my squier down to the body, no more whammy. Holds tune great now. I replaced the tuners as well. If you dont use the bar you could block the trem. They are really bad with going out of tune. Overall the affinities are nice guitars.
i've decided to go to guitar center and get my squier fixed, replace the bridge single-coil with a humbucker, get thicker strings, and return the ibanez. I should go sometime next week. This should be a fun project
Quote by Cynoxx
GH is birthing posers. 99% of players did not even know who Buckethead or Dragonforce were before Guitar Hero, but now they prance around saying how much of a fan they are. I hate that fucking game.

Don't We All
all you had to do was balance the bridge.

and
Without Bullets that happens to Fenders... Maybe Ibanez needs a specific type of string to keep in tune during whammy.

this is a little funny. i'm sorry, but if a sales person told you this, they were pulling your chain.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
This is weird. I bought the RG120 a whle back and had the same problems. Took it back, bought a Squier Strat to hold me over until I could buy a better guitar. But I fell deep in love with my Squier, so I bought a new computer instead of the new guitar. Squiers rule... at least mine does.
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
This is weird. I bought the RG120 a whle back and had the same problems. Took it back, bought a Squier Strat to hold me over until I could buy a better guitar. But I fell deep in love with my Squier, so I bought a new computer instead of the new guitar. Squiers rule... at least mine does.

I love mine too. I'd never get rid of it.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
To be honest, your issues with your Ibanez are simply due to the awful tremolos that you get on cheaper guitars. The moral of this story is; If you're going to by a low-end to mid-range guitar.. get one with a hardtail/Tune-O-Matic bridge. You cannot go wrong with one of those. Alright, you can't do any trem dives etc. But technically- you can't on yours either, as the trem is a piece of crap and just goes out of tune if you try. Locking tuners will not solve the tuning problems of a crap trem.
^ +1

The RG120 is barely a step above the Gio series. And I know from personal experience the trem is impossible to use without the guitar going out of tune.
Quote by tomanybeans24
i really wanted to like my Ibanez RG120 (Black Finish) because i'm a big fan of ibanez, and after my squier broke i bought this one as a subsitute untill i could could a better guitar. everytime i use the whammy bar it falls a half-step out of tune. my cousin joked that if i ever wanted to tune a half step down i would just have to use the whammy bar. when i decided not to use the tremelo my the guitar had more problems. When i wanted to tune in a lower tuning (often this happenes right before my eyes) my guitar somehow goes back. Ex: If i want to go to Drop D my guitar will climb to back to a D# or an out of tune E. i am seriously considering gettting my squier fixed and returning this. After all, i had almost no problems with my squier untill recently, and i paid almost $150 less for it. I use a Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal and Boss Metal Zone Distortion, basicly i play really loud with heavy distortion. I love the way the rg120 sounds distored and clean. The humbuckers are a big improment over the single-coils on my squier, but with these tuning problems i'm not sure what to do. Is there any way i could fix my guitar to make it better?

Obviously, you can't change tunings with a floating bridge. The other problems are caused by the shoddy bridge quality. You can get a similar guitar to an Ibanez that just has a decent bridge.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
keep that guitar. Deal with it for now, save everything for THE guitar you want. Don't settle for something right below. Alot of Squires can't stay in tune either. Perhaps the Squire you had was just a good one.
Quote by StratoTele

I dunno what type of Fenders you've been playing mate, but I can assure you that comment is so far wide of the mark........
Quote by StratoTele

That's woefully incorrect and misleading. The brand of string doesn't particularly have a bearing on whether the string copes with tremolos or not. Not all strings are made equal of course, but Fender's Bullets are by no means the best strings out there. I rate them as some of the worst I've used.
Quote by ptstandard
if youn want to have a decent guitar with Fr style trem, you will need to get a guitar around the $400 range... Jackson?

I second that. A jackson would be a good buy
idk why everybody says the rg120 has a floating trem, it doesnt. its just a standard one. man, that epiphone prophecy looks awesome
schecter hellraiser son