Im looking to get a guitar and an amp for under $1000, and I would like some help deciding what to get.

In terms of guitars, i've been looking at a standard stratocaster, as they are within my price range and are available left handed (which is what I play). HSS Strats also seem good, but according to the Fender website they are not available left handed, so I cant play it. If you know if you can buy left handed HSS stratocasters, please post.

The reason I would like a Standard Stratocaster is because of the aforementioned price point, and also because it seems to fit the sound I like. One of my favourite guitarists is John Frusciante, who uses strats often. The Edge also uses them, and I really like that guitar tone. Apparently they are very versatile, which is good, in my opinion.

However, I have read several bad things about the Stratocaster, so im not sure if I should get one. There seems to be a lot of anti-Fender people here, which makes me worried. Granted, that could just be bias, but im not sure. I've read in some places that some of the pieces on Strat's are usually loose, and that the stock pick-ups are not good. This worries me, so I would like some other opinions. If you could give any other suggestions of guitars I might like, please post them. I was looking at an Ibanez RG, but I dont like metal, so im not sure how much use I would get out of it.

Amps are the other issue. I honestly dont have a clue about which amplifiers are good, so if you have any suggestions for good amps (prefferably under $200), then please tell me. Remember, this all has to be under $1000.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it.
There aren't many good amps under $200. You would be better off spending around $500 on a guitar and $400 on an amp. A good amp can make a decent guitar sound good, but a crap amp can't make a good guitar sound good.
Nope, as long as its an authentic Fender Stratocaster (not "strat", "strat" is the name for copies) it's good. And I suggest going fender FM25 as your amp.
i love my strat

im a frsuciante nut so i would say get a single coil for his tone lol

and for an amp get a used peavey classic 30

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

For the sound you're looking for, I would suggest going with the best used fender strat you can find, and a fender hotrod deluxe, if you want good tone, you need a tube amp, it's not negotiable. If you were really smart, you would go with a used hotrod deluxe so you could get some pedals. Our styles are very different, but I have friends like you, and you NEED a tube amp with excellent cleans, you can build an excellent rig if you start with that, but you won't get too far with a solid state.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
Stratocasters are awesome, but be sure to try before you buy. I was pretty 'noobish' when I got mine, and didn't try it out properly. After a few months of owning it, I noticed that the string spacing between the b and e weren't even with the others, so it was really close to the edge...
Thanks for the help everyone. At this point im pretty sure that im going to get a Stratocaster and an FM 25 amp. I just wanted to know a couple of things. First off, are HSS Stratocasters better then standards? And, if so, are they available left-handed? Also, does that fact that its a mexican made guitar make it worse? Oh, and what about Telecasters? I've heard that those are actually better then Stratocasters, so im not sure now. Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone, its very helpful so far. If you have any suggestions, please post.
The FM25 is an awful, shit amp. Spend like this: amp > guitar. Most of your sound is going to come from your amp, so you want to have a nice one. All the guitar needs to do is be comfortable.

When it comes to Strat vs. Tele, that's preference. You need to go to a store and try them, see which one you like more.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037
+
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014
= win
EDIT: didn't realize you were left handed. But I'm sure theres a left handed mexican strat available as well, I just can't find it.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by deathbyawesome at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The FM25 is an awful, shit amp. Spend like this: amp > guitar. Most of your sound is going to come from your amp, so you want to have a nice one. All the guitar needs to do is be comfortable.

When it comes to Strat vs. Tele, that's preference. You need to go to a store and try them, see which one you like more.

*facepalm*

Even though most of your tone does come from the amp, you will want to spend a bit on a guitar, that affects tone aswell. A £50 cheapy cheap Strat copy is not as good as a Fender. They may both be comftable (sp?), but still, the Fender will sound better!!

So I would split it half and half, or maybe $400 for the guitar, and $600 for the amp.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
*facepalm*

Even though most of your tone does come from the amp, you will want to spend a bit on a guitar, that affects tone aswell. A £50 cheapy cheap Strat copy is not as good as a Fender. They may both be comftable (sp?), but still, the Fender will sound better!!

So I would split it half and half, or maybe $400 for the guitar, and $600 for the amp.

I was being general. Don't facepalm me. Obviously don't buy a plank with a single string on it, but comfort is the most important part of a guitar. Comfort on a guitar will include things like whether the frets are even with the fretboard, whether the action is reasonable, and whether it has a trem or not; not just if it contours to your body.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.