i play in a poppy rock band and i usually have the bass usually one note repeated same as the guitar, but my bassist says hes bored and wants better parts so what can i do other than what i've been doing b4 without overpowering the sound??
~shecter hellraiser C-1~
octave skips, two note chords, chromatic walks between notes, pentatonic runs, learn some theory and dick with scales.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
what everyone else has said. and ya, let the bassist figure his part out...not you.
nothing to see here
PROBLEM:
well...my band had a bassist and he was always pissy about not having good parts, so we told him to write his own parts or learn a different instrument

SOLUTION:
now we have 3 guitars
Whether I am a hungry rabbit or a frightened carrot, my home is the same.
If it's a poppy rock band, chances are there are clearly defined chords. If he can't figure them out for himself, tell them what they are. If he wants better parts, it would help him a lot to learn about scales, keys, and chords to maneuver around the chords himself.

Now if you still want to write his stuff for him, use scale runs to get from chord to chord. For the most part, the downbeat of the chord needs the root note(or alternative specified bass note) and you have some free time until the next chord.
i think thats kind of funny that he wants better parts. if it were me, id tell him to make better parts then. just like with guitar, he needs to learn scales, runs, licks, etc... for bass. he needs to listen and learn from other bass players as well. the easiest thing to do is probably octaves and going up or down to a note following the major scale, minor scale or chromatic scale. you could even try having the bass play a note other than the root.
Quote by dontstopblevin
PROBLEM:
well...my band had a bassist and he was always pissy about not having good parts, so we told him to write his own parts or learn a different instrument

SOLUTION:
now we have 3 guitars

NEW PROBLEM:
Now you don't have a bassist.