So I have my first band practice Thursday. I finally got a bunch of guys together. I just wanted to know something. As of now its a drummer, bassist, guitarist(me), and a singer. I have another friend who plays guitar that I'm considering asking to join. Two guitars just has a lot more possibilities...
-But I should I invite him to the practice or at the practice, ask the members their input? I'm thinking the latter.
-When you have two guitarists, what do you do for a 1 guitar song? Play the same thing? Make up another part to make it your own? Etc.
-Whats up PA wise? What do I need? What is a cheap yet good PA system? Should I just rent one when we do shows or should we buy one?
-As far as covers go, what is the best way to go...I'm really into indie. I'm into a bunch, but a lot of stuff I want to do is kinda not well known. Is it better to keep them to a minimum and do stuff people know? Or introduce them to the new stuff?
-Lastly, got any cool names for an alternative group?

Thanks.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Q1 - ask your band

Q2 - have the guitar player who isn't playing play keyboard or something

The other 3 Qs...i dunno

The Pillows rock. Have you seen Fooly Cooly?
Look, the best bands come together like this:

You play with a drummer and keep playing till you find one you like.
Then you guys audition bassists untill you find one you like and have some songs to play.
Then you audition singers untill you guys have a good band.
If you want a second guitarist, get one.

If you try to have a first band practice with five people it's probally going to sound pretty bad unless some of the people have played together before.

EDIT:
Q1- Ask after practice.

Q2-We play the same thing. Maybe make one do a cool solo after a line in the verse (think of Hey Joe)

Q3-Depends on what equipment you guys are using and how much money you are willing to spend.

Q4-Start with a cover, end with a cover. Throw in covers in the middle. People will actually listen to you if you cover stuff. If you play only your own music, people won't remember it. If you play a cover with your own twist, people will love it if it sounds good.

Q5- The Dick Sucking Queers
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Last edited by lagunasunrise at Jun 22, 2008,
Q1- ask your band after they see what he has got
Q2- there is always something that could be played in a song that 2 guitarist can do
Q3- i wish i could help but i cant think of anything i didn't decide on my bands name i couldnt think of a good one or one at all for that matter
well i'll assume you all have never played together before, so why don't you wait and see how the first few sessions go before you start thinking about adding another guitar. Once you guys start jamming you might get a good groove with a different kind of music than you were first expecting. Hope that makes sense. Once you know what kind of sound/songs/genre you are going to have you can think about the instrumentation.

for a 1 guitar song, i'd say be creative do what you want maybe change it into a 2 guitar song like you said or have the 2nd guitar play only certain parts ie chorus or something to make it sound more full/alive.

I dont know anything about PA's so cant help you there

I think covers are a lot of fun. First you should know that none of the bands I have been in have been too successful, but I always thought it would be a good idea to learn as many covers as possible as a band, use it as a practice tool, and then you will have an ever growing song bank to pull from at gigs. That way play what feels right at the time, like pencil in "cover" and pick one on the fly... I always thought that would be fun
First question: Defintely ask your bandmates. If you go behind their back to choose something that could end up bad in the long run.
Second: When I make a song that doesn't need a second guitar, I usually will dumb down one of the guitars and create a part for the other guitar. This spices up the song and decreases repetition.
Third: I know that some small venues have their own PA's, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. Try to focus on the music, then work your way to how everything will work live.
To answer your cover question:
It really doesn't matter what cover you play, as long as you play it good. If you screw up a song that is well known, or any song in that matter, people will think less of you and judge you immediately.
As for names: I really have no idea. Probably anything that starts with "The", or something like "For Petes Sake". I dont know. Play on words' somtimes work

Hope i helped bro
Yeah thanks guys. All my questions have basically been answered thanks to all of you.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Hm...not bad at all...

One last thing...
our bassist is kind of a noob, in the literal sense. He just started. What can we do to help the situation sincee the rest of us has been playing for years?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Hm...not bad at all...

One last thing...
our bassist is kind of a noob, in the literal sense. He just started. What can we do to help the situation sincee the rest of us has been playing for years?

Be patient... if the other lads are gonna be rumbling at him then first of all it will eat at his self confidence making him self concious and even slower to pick things up and second of all... he will prob get pissed and just leave.... Start off learning some covers that have prominent and catchy yet easy bass lines. They should boost his confidence and it will also give the rest f you leeway to improv or whatever over it and not get bored.... I would suggest checking out Joy Division, Try i wanna be adored by the stone roses etc etc
I don't know exactly what kind of tunes you want to play, but you can probably find a lot of covers where your bassman can play simple root notes until he starts to improve. As far as second guitar is concerned, there are some wicked bands where one guitar holds rhythm and the other one just goes crazy on lead, all the time. If that's your thing.