Page 1 of 7
I dunno.

I'm interested to see the rest of the Metal forum's interest/investment as a metal musician. If you're already in a band, you can tell other people about your band, give them information on when you'll perform, etc. This could also work as a connection for people who are in the same region and want to start similar bands.

This'll probably go down in flames/be locked/die out so enjoy it while it lasts?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by GuitarHero0715
You never, ever start a thread unsure, always have a solid idea of what your going to talk about.

I stopped reading at "I dunno."

Good for you.

Bye-bye now.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
So how bout those Massachusetts Avant-Garde Folk/Black metal musicians?
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Hm, I like this idea.

Currently, I'm in a rut. I wanna start writing songs but I know little theory. I know scales and ****, but no idea how to apply them. I usually **** around until it sounds good, but that's time consuming and unreliable.
Quote by Tehzekester
Hm, I like this idea.

Currently, I'm in a rut. I wanna start writing songs but I know little theory. I know scales and ****, but no idea how to apply them. I usually **** around until it sounds good, but that's time consuming and unreliable.

Just play a scale, run through it on one string.

Now if you want to be generic just make a four note procession into power chords with open palm mutes in between.

If you want to put some flair, add some pinches, hammer-ons, octave power chords, etc into the mix.

Quote by eggsandham2
Tehzekester, don't worry about theory TOO much. Yeah stay in the scale blah blah blah, but don't let it hold you back. That's my main restriction.

And uh, I'm in a 'thrash metal' band at the moment. We're not really going anywhere, and our ****ing singer never shows up to practice, but whatever.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Tehzekester, don't worry about theory TOO much. Yeah stay in the scale blah blah blah, but don't let it hold you back. That's my main restriction.

You don't even have to do that.

Atonal riffs sound good, as well.

-see Morbid Angel and Devourment riffs for examples-

Quote by eggsandham2
You just made me think of something.

Anatomy of metal riffs, you pretty well described one. One thing you should use, if you haven't before, are minor thirds (reverse power chord shape, ring finger on root on 6th string, index 2 frets up on 5th string, sounds cool)

With this new found discovery of basic metal riff anatomy, I think I can expand my riff writing.

Now soloing... =P
I dunno. I've been playing for like three years, and still have a beginner amp and guitar. I have a Line 6 Uber Metal, which I paid like $90 for, and a BR-600 Digital Recorder, which I got for about $500. I haven't actually put anything on the internet with it yet

I'm not exactly in a band, but me and a few friends get together every weekend and jam. I suppose we have the same musical tastes, but I'm into much more metal...

I like collaborating with people on GP5
I am currently in a band that just takes way to long to learn the songs i write, and won't write anything themselves.Theirs a demo of me doing two guitar parts and vocals over a drum machine as a demo in my sig, but thats about it. But i may just record an e.p all on my own with a drum machine this summer
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

My problem when I try to write songs is that I try to include too many parts in a small amount of time.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by Tehzekester
You just made me think of something.

Anatomy of metal riffs, you pretty well described one. One thing you should use, if you haven't before, are minor thirds (reverse power chord shape, ring finger on root on 6th string, index 2 frets up on 5th string, sounds cool)

With this new found discovery of basic metal riff anatomy, I think I can expand my riff writing.

Now soloing... =P

Writing solos is ridiclously easy, honestly.

Take whatever note chord you're using (say a G 5th, which would be E: 3 A: 5 fretwise) and just start off a phrase with a G, and follow a scale off of the G, and you have a solo

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Luizza69
Im having massive trouble finding members.

Do you put up classifieds? Do you put up signs asking for members in your local guitar shop?

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
My problem when I try to write songs is that I try to include too many parts in a small amount of time.

Same here. Like, my intros consist of 5 different riffs. Also, I have no idea how to structure songs.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Writing solos is ridiclously easy, honestly.

Take whatever note chord you're using (say a G 5th, which would be E: 3 A: 5 fretwise) and just start off a phrase with a G, and follow a scale off of the G, and you have a solo

Wow, I guess I'm gonna have to record a rhythm part so I can jam and practice that. I love you, really do. Should I just start with a basic progression, not really a typical riff pe r se, just powerchords?

And yeah, I'm trying to start a band, but there's literally no tr00 metalheads around here. Everyone else is into The Devil Wears Prada, but some kids like that and some good bands. I guess I'll just have to compromise. As long as we don't sound like ****, I'm fine =)

Also, song flow sort of comes naturally to me, the song on my profile, while not the best in the world by any means and has an incredibly sloppy riff, is decently structured imo.
Quote by RedDeath9
Same here. Like, my intros consist of 5 different riffs. Also, I have no idea how to structure songs.

Me neither because I hate the simple verse chorus thing...

Ah the woes of being progressive...

Right now I'm trying to make a simple death-doom song in Power Tab. Maybe I'll post it if I get somethign good done.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
I write a lot, and have a hefty repertoire of songs waiting to be recorded. But that's just it, as I have no means of recording and possibly won't for a while. If I ever do, it'll undoubtedly be a solo project, except for maybe vocals.

And Calm, same here. It goes against my every grain to write a simple-structured song. They are always progressive in some form or fashion.
Quote by Tehzekester
Wow, I guess I'm gonna have to record a rhythm part so I can jam and practice that. I love you, really do. Should I just start with a basic progression, not really a typical riff pe r se, just powerchords?

And yeah, I'm trying to start a band, but there's literally no tr00 metalheads around here. Everyone else is into The Devil Wears Prada, but some kids like that and some good bands. I guess I'll just have to compromise. As long as we don't sound like ****, I'm fine =)

Also, song flow sort of comes naturally to me, the song on my profile, while not the best in the world by any means and has an incredibly sloppy riff, is decently structured imo.

Just do a loop of a simple power chord - octave - power chord pattern.

Improv off of it, and change the placeing of the chords depending on tuning/key/etc.

Quote by eggsandham2
I'm not gonna worry about writing prog till I can write more simple stuff =P

Also, what do you guys think of Seraphs and Silence for a band name?

Yes, got it from a song title, cookie to who knows what band/album.
Seraphs And Silence, together?

Meh, but I always thought a cool band name was Seraphis.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Tehzekester
I'm not gonna worry about writing prog till I can write more simple stuff =P

Also, what do you guys think of Seraphs and Silence for a band name?

Yes, got it from a song title, cookie to who knows what band/album.

Personally I think it sounds like a song title. In my opinion the way to think about band names is to imagining people chanting it you know? I don't know, I just think if you have a memorable band name, people will remember it better. That is not to say that obscure names like Imperial Crystalline Entombment or something don't work, this is just how I think about it.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Eh, like I said.

Classifieds, and even if the musicians you find (if any ) are primarily of a different genre, ask them if they'll give a different style a try for practice.

It's how I got a jazz bassist to play in a progressive death/black metal band

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Do you put up classifieds? Do you put up signs asking for members in your local guitar shop?

No, i just moved here like 2 or 3 months ago, the only guitar place i know is Guitar Center and idk if the have a thing to put them up on. Im kind of a noob, what do you mean classifieds? like the newspaper?
Quote by Luizza69
No, i just moved here like 2 or 3 months ago, the only guitar place i know is Guitar Center and idk if the have a thing to put them up on. Im kind of a noob, what do you mean classifieds? like the newspaper?

Yeah, I mean newspaper.

And, just ask the owner of the GC near you, and ask if you can put up wanteds.

Though, I don't go to Guitar Center so I dunno bout that .

Quote by eggsandham2
I've always liked working alone more, because even if I have other people to collaborate with, I end up pushing my ideas on them.
I've thought of making a one-man projekt as my main band...but, I love doing live shows so much I cannot help but be in an actual band.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Yeah, I mean newspaper.

And, just ask the owner of the GC near you, and ask if you can put up wanteds.

Though, I don't go to Guitar Center so I dunno bout that .

Yeah.
The only problem is that im just getting started and in highschool, so knowing my luck ill get somebody to respond way out of my league or some old dude. It'd be awkward as hell.
Quote by Luizza69
Yeah.
The only problem is that im just getting started and in highschool, so knowing my luck ill get somebody to respond way out of my league or some old dude. It'd be awkward as hell.

Put an age, too.

And, someone that's like 2-5 years older than you shouldn't be a problem, a guitarist for a very awesome brutal death metal band is 50 years old.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
It's not Dallas, is it?

Wolfgang Teske of Defeated Sanity.

Dallas and Karl are both in their mid 40's, though.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
I've always liked working alone more, because even if I have other people to collaborate with, I end up pushing my ideas on them.

Same thing here. When writing a song, I have to have complete control over all of the aspects, or at least close to it.
Quote by Broadsword
Same thing here. When writing a song, I have to have complete control over all of the aspects, or at least close to it.

You are the Mikael Akerfeldt Clone/Twin...

Quote by eggsandham2
@Slaytanic: Defeated Sanity's a great band. I can't see a guy in his 50's doing something like that. I could've guessed Karl and Dallas's ages though

@Broadsword: I really enjoy working by myself, but it can be a pain, because writing every single part takes a while, and I'm only one person, so it's harder to think of everything. With more people, there's a better chance of something great being created, because more minds are working together at the same time. I get by though. I write the guitar parts first........and I really haven't gotten past that stage in any of my songs yet
I wish I had money to improve my technique with playing in a band...Considering every other band I didn't give much motivation and it fucked up on me... I wish I had a band now, if anyone is in Alberta, Canada, holla at yo boy Jon. Which translated into Engrish would be "talk to me, I Jon"

Also, I need to know theory..All I know is a little bit about intervals, and the musical alphabet, sharps, flats...whatever, ya know..easier stuff.

I don't know where to go after that though
Quote by severed-metal
I wish I had money to improve my technique with playing in a band...Considering every other band I didn't give much motivation and it fucked up on me... I wish I had a band now, if anyone is in Alberta, Canada, holla at yo boy Jon. Which translated into Engrish would be "talk to me, I Jon"

Also, I need to know theory..All I know is a little bit about intervals, and the musical alphabet, sharps, flats...whatever, ya know..easier stuff.

I don't know where to go after that though

For the music theory thing, learn how to dissect chords/find chord names.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Put an age, too.

And, someone that's like 2-5 years older than you shouldn't be a problem, a guitarist for a very awesome brutal death metal band is 50 years old.

Ha, i didnt think of that.
I always overlook the obvious.