At our last gig, we played a party, and my drummer is not allowed to bring his drum set anywhere. We ended up using my younger brother's Pearl set, which he was a real help with taking it apart at the house, getting it to the gig, and tearing it down again to bring it back home. Since that happend, my drummer and bass player think that for any gig we have, we can just use my brother's set. I disagree with this, because I feel as though that is taking advantage of my brother. My drummer's parents won't let him bring his set, because they paid somewhere to $2000-$3000 for it. I think it's a Yamaha Advanced Stage custom? And Loaded with Ziligan A Custom cymbals. He's more loaded than my bass player or me, and right now he's been saving up for an Axis double bass pedal. I think with that money he should buy a new drum set to use for gigs. It's his responsibility as a drummer, what should I do? Persuade him?
yes

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Tell him get another drum set with that money for the band or kick his ass out.
If he won't bring his own drumset to gigs then why should you work your ass with your own instruments AND your bro's drumset? Makes no sense to me dude.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
with your fists, yes you should
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
is your brother any good? Fire your drummer and have your brother join the band. Having a kit to gig with is kind of a big part of gigging.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yeah, tell him he's out if He can't get his own set to the gig.

Or make his ass take down, set up, and tear down and then reset the dreumset at your house.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by civildp1
is your brother any good? Fire your drummer and have your brother join the band. Having a kit to gig with is kind of a big part of gigging.

Family band members kickass.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by TaintedFearSBT
whats the point of haveing a great drum kit if not to use it during gigs?

QFT. It's like people who buy a Corvette and then garage it.

Plus, if he has cases for his set (which he should), there's no reason to be worried about it.
Quote by civildp1

he's alright, in fact, last night, our drummer is out of town at Cal Ripkin Jr. Baseball Camp in Maryland (told you he was loaded), and so my brother took over. Some of the songs he didnt know, so I taught him them. He started playing back in October, and whenever he plays, he just plays random ****, so I talked to my guitar teacher about it, and he says that it be real good for him to play with other people, help him get his act together.
Charge him rent and labor for using your brother's set.
That should change his mind fast.
Quote by messiah01
he's alright, in fact, last night, our drummer is out of town at Cal Ripkin Jr. Baseball Camp in Maryland (told you he was loaded), and so my brother took over. Some of the songs he didnt know, so I taught him them. He started playing back in October, and whenever he plays, he just plays random ****, so I talked to my guitar teacher about it, and he says that it be real good for him to play with other people, help him get his act together.

well if you could teach your bro the drum parts that your drummer plays on his $3000 dollar drum set then hes not really useful i mean if you made the lick you dont need him to play someone else set, unless hes there for looks as well
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
tell your drummer to pull his finger out, go to his parents and explain the situation........ if they say no tell him your gonna have to kick him out and then send him back to his parents again. if they still say no then chuck him out and get your brother to play.......
Imagine if it was a guitarist. 'Sorry guys can I borrow one of your guitars, my parents wont let me take my Gibson out of the house'.

Would you gig with that guy?
He should certainly use his good drum kit on stage. It'll sound better, he'll play better, and your band will be awesome.

I agree with the suggestion that your brother should start charging him rent to use the other drum kit, that sort of thing normally changes people's minds.

If he's not prepared to use his own gear...I'm sorry, but kick him out. That's part of being in a band. You've got another alternative in your brother, who sounds reasonably good (and, seriously, being in a band with family members is so damn handy, because it's easy to rehearse with them and to coerce them into doing what you want).
Quote by messiah01
At our last gig, we played a party, and my drummer is not allowed to bring his drum set anywhere.

*holds head in hands* Someone's missing the point of having a nice drum kit here.

Quote by messiah01

We ended up using my younger brother's Pearl set, which he was a real help with taking it apart at the house, getting it to the gig, and tearing it down again to bring it back home. Since that happend, my drummer and bass player think that for any gig we have, we can just use my brother's set. I disagree with this, because I feel as though that is taking advantage of my brother.

Agreed. Your brother did him a great favour there, but to expect that for every gig is, frankly, taking the piss.
Quote by messiah01

My drummer's parents won't let him bring his set, because they paid somewhere to $2000-$3000 for it. I think it's a Yamaha Advanced Stage custom? And Loaded with Ziligan A Custom cymbals.

Ahh, so it's his folks that are missing the point.
Quote by messiah01

He's more loaded than my bass player or me, and right now he's been saving up for an Axis double bass pedal. I think with that money he should buy a new drum set to use for gigs. It's his responsibility as a drummer, what should I do? Persuade him?

If he get's a cheaper kit the same colour as the one he's already got with a bass drum the same size, he won't need a double bass pedal because he'll have two bass drums and two pedals. Although he'll still need to get mummy and daddy's permission to use the expensive bass drum.

This is really a ridiculous state of affairs that would be best solved if you could find a way of getting his parents to change their minds.
Talk to you drummer, tell him your brother did him a favour but he's not willing to do it to often.
Tell him to tell his folks that if he can't sort a kit out, he can't play drums for you. I'm not saying to threaten him with being kicked, just to tell his folks that he's being threatened with being kicked.
Basicaly, if he get's kicked, it's their fault for being weird about his kit.
But make sure that you stress to him that if he really can't sort out a kit for himself, it will cause major problems and it may well result in him being kicked in the future.
This will at least make him pull his finger out of his arse and at least do something about the situation, even spending the money he's saved on a cheap gigging kit.

When all else fails, you can always ask your brother to join the band.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 23, 2008,
Yes lol, let's keep the 3k drum set for practice, and then we can gig with a sweet entry level set ( I don't know what your brother's is like, I just mean if the drummer bought one to gig with).

You know, I think I'll keep my tube bass head at home for practice from now on; you know, wear out the minimally priced $180 tube set from daily practice instead of gig use, and start taking my girlfriend's 15w practice amp to gigs.

TS, you should show these nice parallel examples to the fellow's parents, just send them a link to this UG thread as soon as possible, so they can see how ridiculous that sounds. Sure it's somthing nice you want to take care of, but why take care of it if you aren't going to use it for the single reason it exists?
Our drummer actually does it the other way around. He has a cheap Pearl Fusion kit that he practices with but for gigs he uses his rare as rockin' horse sh!t, worth a bloody fortune, bloody huge, bright bloody yellow Staccato kit.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Yes lol, let's keep the 3k drum set for practice, and then we can gig with a sweet entry level set ( I don't know what your brother's is like, I just mean if the drummer bought one to gig with).

You know, I think I'll keep my tube bass head at home for practice from now on; you know, wear out the minimally priced $180 tube set from daily practice instead of gig use, and start taking my girlfriend's 15w practice amp to gigs.

TS, you should show these nice parallel examples to the fellow's parents, just send them a link to this UG thread as soon as possible, so they can see how ridiculous that sounds. Sure it's somthing nice you want to take care of, but why take care of it if you aren't going to use it for the single reason it exists?

Lmao, yeah, it's like "I think I'll do my practice laps in the Porsche, but I'll race in the Honda Civic."
Your drummer is a dick. He's taking advantage of your brother. He should bring his own equipment or screw off.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
My brother came up with an idea of letting my drummer use his cases if by all means he gets to bring his set to gigs. If my drummer cannot bring his set with the cases my brother provides, he will have to leave.
Quote by TaintedFearSBT
whats the point of haveing a great drum kit if not to use it during gigs?

+w/e # would make you most happy

tell your drummer to convince his parents and buy protective stuff for safe transport.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Quote by messiah01
My brother came up with an idea of letting my drummer use his cases if by all means he gets to bring his set to gigs. If my drummer cannot bring his set with the cases my brother provides, he will have to leave.

If the fellow owns ( I assume bought by his parents) a $3k drum set, I bet he could talk them into getting him some nice cases after using your bro's for a few gigs. You should really push for this after a few gigs TS, instead of just letting him constantly use them.