Just picked up the Toneport by Line 6, because I figured it would be fun to start recording. I did have one question though, for anybody who has the device/knows anything about it. If i were to save a custom tone onto my computer/toneport, could I play that sound on my guitar through my amplifier?
Quote by RockOnZeppelin
Just picked up the Toneport by Line 6, because I figured it would be fun to start recording. I did have one question though, for anybody who has the device/knows anything about it. If i were to save a custom tone onto my computer/toneport, could I play that sound on my guitar through my amplifier?

huh?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I just ran a chord into my amps CD/MP3 input and connected the other end into the toneport. The amp just acts like a large speaker, so yeah it works
how does it sound?
does it sound the same as if you were doing it through your monitors?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
It sounds real clean, but obviously because my Line 6 isn't an AC30 or anything, it doesn't come out perfect. I use it more for recording with my headphones now. But there are times when I'd rather not fiddle with all the presets and tones on my amp, and the toneport is an easy plug in.

So to answer your question, sound quality is great, no delay or feedback. But you know, some effects just don't sound as perfect as they do via headphones.

Make sense?
yeah yeah, i've never tried running my Toneport through an amp. does it sound the same through the headphones as running it through an amp?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Not quite, I mean if you're using it to record and what not, then you might as well use the headphones cause it is much crisper (once again limits of the amp). But I usually use mine running through the amp if I'm playing with my friends, cause we play all types of music and we sometimes need to switch quick without all the effect playing around. So to answer your question use the headphones when you need to, but the sound is absolutely fine through the amp. I was surprised (cause I was playing it through my Line 6 Spider III 30 watt practice amp) and it still sounded very good. So yeah, the amp sounds great, on a scale of ten (ten being as if listening through the headphones, and one being a bunch of really crappy static filled junk) I'd rate it about an 8.5. Email me with questions, I'm just starting to really mess with it now.

So to summarize. Yes, the effects come out the same. Yes, the tone and distortion and wah-wah and presets sound great. It's just not as perfect and crisp as through the headphones, but it's like comparing a studio to playing live in my eyes (though much cheaper) haha.
Last edited by RockOnZeppelin at Jul 7, 2008,
its orientated towards computer/software based recording. you can play it through external speakers obviously but playing in a live situation, its not intended really for that, you'd be better off with a POD if that's the case, or try out Guitar Rig with the Rig Kontrol unit for switching between patches.

the modelling technology starts to become redundant playing it through another amp, cos you're simulating an amp then playing it through the limits and capabilites of another. Best using studio quality speakers, PA monitors to get uncomprimised tone when using modelling software.
Quote by scott316
its orientated towards computer/software based recording. you can play it through external speakers obviously but playing in a live situation, its not intended really for that, you'd be better off with a POD if that's the case, or try out Guitar Rig with the Rig Kontrol unit for switching between patches.

the modelling technology starts to become redundant playing it through another amp, cos you're simulating an amp then playing it through the limits and capabilites of another. Best using studio quality speakers, PA monitors to get uncomprimised tone when using modelling software.

I don't see why it would be bad to DI a Toneport into the house PA... it's definitely possible, and to have a rig as portable as that (instead of hauling my 70 lb Peavey tube combo) would be amazing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i never said it's bad, just isnt what it's really made for, its a computer recording interface, it isnt really intended for live use. 1) you need a laptop/PC to use it , 2) you're gonna have to transport it, hook it up, have a laptop there, you cant switch patches if you need to go from clean to dirty or switch FX on or off. It's easier transporting an amp than have to keep disconnecting the unit from PC to laptop all the time.

If you're gonna DI into a PA you would buy a POD instead !!!!!!! That's its purpose ! If you dont wanna use an amp, the POD becomes your pre-amp and you put it through a PA WITHOUT the need the first hook it to a laptop so you can use it. Would be a monumental pain in the arse.
Quote by scott316
i never said it's bad, just isnt what it's really made for, its a computer recording interface, it isnt really intended for live use. 1) you need a laptop/PC to use it , 2) you're gonna have to transport it, hook it up, have a laptop there, you cant switch patches if you need to go from clean to dirty or switch FX on or off. It's easier transporting an amp than have to keep disconnecting the unit from PC to laptop all the time.

If you're gonna DI into a PA you would buy a POD instead !!!!!!! That's its purpose ! If you dont wanna use an amp, the POD becomes your pre-amp and you put it through a PA WITHOUT the need the first hook it to a laptop so you can use it. Would be a monumental pain in the arse.

a laptop wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of in a band situation, someone in the band has to have a working laptop or family that does...

anyway. in the bigger Toneports have footswitch inputs, but i've never heard of anybody using them. i would like to get a higher model TP and be able to use that, but i don't know whats compatible with the TP's...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yeah I have a laptop and that's what we use. Works great, we brought our equipment down to a friends house to play for a while and I can shut my laptop and the system remains on. So we just do that and hide it behind a speaker haha. But no the quality is good enough you really can't tell.

But as the earlier guys stated, I still use mine for recording mostly. Our bassist is grabbing a POD tomorrow on a guitar center run.
oh that's cool, i should start doing that. haha
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
We just got the POD. does make life a little easier, but I am defiintely gonna keep taking the toneport around. I love the mic input jack so it'll be worth lugging it around (all half a pound of it) back and forth.