I need some songs that will help me improve my slap bass technique. I would like to work on incorporating more mutes into slap basslines, but first let me tell you songs I can already play: Can't Stop, Aeroplane, tell me baby, storm in a teacup, naked in the rain, (I'm okay at) blackeyed blonde, and by now, you probably have realized that these are all rhcp songs. So, I am in need of suggestions for good slap bass from different bands.
Take the Power Back by RATM. Its pretty easy, but its a good one to branch out.

If you feel confident, Tommy the Cat by Primus. Its a sick riff. OH, and check out the stickied songs thread at the top of the forum.

Punk it Up by Infectious Grooves is also good.
Slapbass!
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Certain Shade of Green by Incubus.

ha thats definately a beginners song
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by ccmetz2020
I need some songs that will help me improve my slap bass technique. I would like to work on incorporating more mutes into slap basslines, but first let me tell you songs I can already play: Can't Stop, Aeroplane, tell me baby, storm in a teacup, naked in the rain, (I'm okay at) blackeyed blonde, and by now, you probably have realized that these are all rhcp songs. So, I am in need of suggestions for good slap bass from different bands.

practice that one.
Storm in a teacup and naked in the rain use slapping? it barely sounds like it.
You could check out some Primus stuff, some Marcus Miller too.
I'll Be Your Domino is another good slap song by RHCP (it's a B side)
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Yeah I can hear the slapping in naked in the rain and same with storm in a teacup. It isn't as dominant in storm in a teacup though. But, what is a good song to start off with for primus?
Higher Ground by RHCP sounds hard, tab might even look hard at first, just slow it and break it down and its easy as hell.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Easy Primus? "Too many puppies." But I am learning "Tommy the Cat" and its definitely in the intermediate to slightly challenging range. Maybe "Defy the laws of Tradition" falls within the slightly intermediate range.
I cant seem to get the triplet feel for higher ground, I did it once for a brief second then I lost it. Any tips, I can do triplets just fine, but i cant get the "triplet feel" for it.
Quote by anarkee
Easy Primus? "Too many puppies." But I am learning "Tommy the Cat" and its definitely in the intermediate to slightly challenging range. Maybe "Defy the laws of Tradition" falls within the slightly intermediate range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those mostly (not entirely) encompass his flamenco strumming more than slapping?
lacquer head(sp?) by primus. got blisters from the slap solo but it's a fun one

my name is mud is good too
YEAH
Last edited by wablahblahblah at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Hergiswi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those mostly (not entirely) encompass his flamenco strumming more than slapping?

Yes true, but isn't combining the two that just more fun in the long run ?

Actually TS, check out some Larry Graham, esp. his band Graham Central Station. And since Applehead isn't about these days, I'll have to recommend some Jamiroquai as well.
Take Tits on the Radio by the Scissor Sisters and slap all of it. It is easy, but it'll help build your rhythm and give you experience taking a regular song and applying slap to it.

Plus it'll sound badass.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by AmpleSteak
Higher Ground by RHCP sounds hard, tab might even look hard at first, just slow it and break it down and its easy as hell.

Honestly? Compared to Blackeyed Blonde that thing is alot easier.
I don't see how it looks or sounds hard. It's just 3 notes in the main rift with octave slapping.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
get up and jump and coffee shop and stone cold bush solo by rhcp, hilikus by incubus, I need more love by robert randolph and the family band
Defy The Laws of tradition has a fair amount of slap in it

dirty drowning man and ballad of bodascious are both good Primus ones, off the album Antipop, same as lacquer head

erm, think the best suugestions have already been made, definetly take a listen to Infectious Grooves, Rob Trujilo is a mean ass slap machine
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Me and My Bass Guitar by Vic Wooten.

It'll help you improve like 1,000,000,000%.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Deffinatly check out some Infectious Grooves.
Down from the Glen came the Marching Men
With their sheilds and their swords
To fight the fight they believed to be right
Overthrow the overlords...