ok so i decided today to attempt the simple swap of changing the LED in my zakk wylde OD from red to green. however, i cant get the green LED to come on when im testing it, and when the pedal is activated, it severely cuts the volume.

what the heck did i do wrong and how do i fix it? thanks
NOPE
about wiring it backwards, how is it supposed to go? which way is the longer wire supposed to go?
NOPE
The longer leg of the LED is positive, I think. Cathode is negative, anode is positive.

LEDs have a cathode and an anode just like regular diodes. To determine an LED's polarity, you can do one of three things:

* Look for a line in the metal inside the LED (it may be difficult to see). This line is closest to the anode of the LED.

* Find a flat spot on the edge of the LED -- this flat spot is on the cathode.

* The anode of an LED is generally longer (at least, when it's a new, non-salvaged, LED).
ok, going with that, on the PCB, which way is positive and which is negative

sorry im such a noob at this, i thought i could figure this out myself but i was apparently wrong. still wondering about why it cuts the volume when activated
NOPE
It should say so. Post a pic.

If not, it should have a shaded part (which is negative) or one of the pads is round and the other is square (square is positive).

Like I said: pic.
ok here are some pics:

hopefully somebody will be able to explain those for me
NOPE
^ that doesnt help at all, ive tried turnign it around and stuff

heres a couple of things:

i cant seem to get the solder to flow all the way through the opening, like it will flow together at the top of the PCB, but it wont stick to it. how do i get it to do this?

and STILL, i have tested it over and over again, when the pedal is activated, it essentially cuts the the signal path. what did i do to do this and how do i fix it
NOPE
from what I can see the traces for the LED look destroyed..but maybe not. even so the LED shouldn't affect the working of the pedal. I attached a schematic diagram for the portion of the circuit which controls the LED. simple set-up really even if all the parts in the LED set up were taken out..the pedal shoudl still work minus the LED of course

are you sure you didnt do anything else to the pedal except change the LED?
Attachments:
LED..zak wylde.JPG
yeah, i think what he (^) said is right

i can't see an LED making that much difference
lol@u
I would say it could just be a coincidence that another component has failed while changing the LED which would lead you to think it was the LED causing the problem.

Another siggestion..did you turn the volume on the pedal up? it sounds silly but you don't know how many times I was hit with that mistake lol
just to add some of that in the pic is some left over solder, but i doubt that makes much of a difference.

ive checked the pedal over and over again to see if i knocked anything loose and there isnt anything. the only thing i did was take out the old LED and attempt to put the new one in.

when i have tested it, if i touched metal contacts i got that wierd buzzy noise kinda like if something wasnt grounded i guess. could that be something?
NOPE
Quote by Nakon14
just to add some of that in the pic is some left over solder, but i doubt that makes much of a difference.

ive checked the pedal over and over again to see if i knocked anything loose and there isnt anything. the only thing i did was take out the old LED and attempt to put the new one in.

when i have tested it, if i touched metal contacts i got that wierd buzzy noise kinda like if something wasnt grounded i guess. could that be something?

That could mean that one of the live signals is being grounded, most likely by the metal case. try taking everything out of the pedal and running it without the box.

Quote by kurtlives91
Its using some FET switching most likey. I think the new LED is pulling the gate too hard...I had this problem with my Small Clone.

The schematic I found shows that the bypass is a hardwire bypass set up, hence the DPDT footswitch. one pole for LED, one for switching
Quote by kurtlives91
It must be millenium bypass if it is true bypass with an LED using a DPDT.

Sorry i meant to clear that up..i usually call SPDT bypass 'hard-wire bypass' its whenever the input signal is split (in this case before the input buffer) and given one of the poles on the SPDT. the middle lug is the hot signal to the output jack and the other lug is the effect output. so toggling the switch gives you either effect on..or impeded bypass; so on this pedal one side of the DPDT is for standalone LED and the other is for the hard-wire bypass

If im confusing anyone heres the schematic link:
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Mxr_ZakkWylde.gif
it sounds to me like you also may have desroyed part of the PCB by accident here.

1) what watt iron are you using?
2) did you leave the iron on there for too long?
3) did you actually FLOW the solder, or apply it with the iron tip..did you use flux?
4) are trace paths on the PCB look okay and not ripped or broken?
5) you're sure you didn't change/short anything while working on the LED side of things?
6) check grounding, even enclosure, you may have a shorting problem also..
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by Invader Jim
Those pads for the LED look like they're destroyed.

Yeah they look like they have been exposed to too much heat.

If you'd like you can send the pedal to me and I could have a look at it, but it seems impractical as you're in the US.
yeah after messing with it for a while ive basically given up on this thing. damn. i might try to get gc to give me a new one since i know the guys there pretty well, but other than that it was a good $60 learning experience

^ entrant, if i do somehow get antoher and still have this one, i might send it to you just so you can mess with it or w/e
NOPE
Quote by Nakon14
yeah after messing with it for a while ive basically given up on this thing. damn. i might try to get gc to give me a new one since i know the guys there pretty well, but other than that it was a good $60 learning experience

^ entrant, if i do somehow get antoher and still have this one, i might send it to you just so you can mess with it or w/e

If you can get a new one you should go for it, but by removing the LED you voided the warranty on the pedal. But maybe the guys can help you out!
That would be great if you sent it to me..I'd feel bad taking it for nothing though id pay you something for it!

Let us know how you get on!
^ you see, they dont necessarily have to know that i took it out in the first place im pretty good with making up stories of how things stopped working and whatnot, i think i might be able to get a break. i would of done it today but the guy i usually go to in guitar center wasnt in today so itll have to be another day
NOPE