Incredible job man, you really ought to be proud of yourself (and i'm sure you are!).
I fully intend to be at a level where i can build my own ax's some day. As of right now, however, all that stuff's way beyond me. How/where/when did you learn of the essentials of building guitars? Do you have to be an expert woodcutter, craftsman and electrician? Seems like it to me. Again, beautiful job, sir. Very inspiring.
as crazy as the whole build is to me and how it came out , this is truely the first time i ever did some like this from scratch. I did repaint and rewire my 1st guitar before doing this.
I am sort of a jack of all trades. I am a bit of a finish carpenter/ remodeler. the most important thing to know or have is the right tools for the job. Most of this build was done on the fly. There is definitely room for catostrophic errors especially with the router (i had to make the electronics cavity bigger a few times cause i slipped, i just had to make 3 different covers)

besides the real basic tools i used:

jig saw to cut t he body
router
dremel with several attachments( cutters, sanding, etc
sander (lots and lots of diff sanding
solder gun

the wiring was the hardest thing especially just the way it switches. I didnt want it to be to clusterd on the top. It was hard to figuer out how to set up a 3 pup guitar without a 5 way switch
I have 2 push/pull pots and a on/off/on mini switch
Last edited by bjazzy1 at Jun 22, 2008,
Really nice job. However, I feel like you should have done a matte finish (if you don't mind some criticism)... For me it's just a little too plastic looking.

But still really cool =)
Only things I didn't like were the knobs!
nice work.

total materials cost and time?
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Very nice build, I like it, extra props for a first time!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by bjazzy1
the wiring was the hardest thing especially just the way it switches. I didnt want it to be to clusterd on the top. It was hard to figuer out how to set up a 3 pup guitar without a 5 way switch
I have 2 push/pull pots and a on/off/on mini switch

Really? I would think the most difficult aspect would be setting up the neck/truss rod and getting the action and everything worked out from scratch. From what I understand that's a pretty delicate process. Don't you have to have specific temperature and humidity when first aligning the neck of a guitar?
Quote by Iansmitchell
Only things I didn't like were the knobs!
nice work.

total materials cost and time?

The knobs are one of my favorite things about it. Good job! I didn't like the shape when I first saw, but by the end i really liked it. Very organic and natural looking. I feel like if you were exploring a jungle and just happened to find come across an electric guitar laying around, that's the shape it would be.
Quote by Kurt Russell
Really? I would think the most difficult aspect would be setting up the neck/truss rod and getting the action and everything worked out from scratch. From what I understand that's a pretty delicate process. Don't you have to have specific temperature and humidity when first aligning the neck of a guitar?

Let me rephrase ...... I just reshaped the neck to specs i found comfortable and laminated the head with the same wood as the guitar. I didnt install a truss rod.
Actually the neck is a LINE 6 (yu can tell by the head shape) MAple and rosewood. It did take a few trys to get the action right. I had to set the neck and take it off and shave the pocket a few times to get it right .
Next time i will try a neck from scratch, but as of now i dont have a some special tool needed for making a neck like a table router which is a must to make perfect straight routs to cut out for the truss rod. I did do my share a research on the net for this project
I didnt use any templates at all. next time i will either make my own or buy some from stew mac. I was a little nerve racking doing the routing cause 1 slip and %#%#$$@
Total cost= around $450 with tax and all (WITHOUT LABOR)

Chunk of wood= $20
Sperzel locking tuners= $65
neck =$45 (needed a little work , factory 2nd i think)
neck and string ferrules=$20
WD bridge= $50
mini switch= $5
Electro-socket=$10
Pickups=$210
copper shield=$10
p/p pots =$20
strap buttons=$6
shielded wire=$5
maybe another $50-$75 in toolsand materials

I bought the wood almost 1 year ago today (in costa rica) and widdled away here and there
Hours put in ? no clue
What does it look like its worth?

AND i am leaving to COsta rica on wednesday. I am going to try and get another piece. Maybe a BASS...............
Last edited by bjazzy1 at Jun 23, 2008,