i was looking at new amps since i am stuck with a broken vox ad30vt and a roland cube 15x. will i was looking at some new amps i saw about 20 that were over 50 watts and few over 100 (bugera/peavey valveking 212). it seems like the people designing these amps are insane. everyone knows to get a good tone out of a tube amp you have to crank it and the more watts you have the more you have to put the volume up. if you try to crank a 50 watt amp you will go deaf and if you crank a freaking 120 watt amp you will lose your head. so i ask you UG how many watts is too much?30?50?100?120?
There is no real "too much" wattage. The only reason that these amps have so much wattage is for headroom. Most of the amps you listed are for metal purposes. You need as much headroom as possible. I think somewhere on here it was said that the metal amps don't rely as much on poweramp gain as they do preamp gain.

In other words, they don't need to be cranked to get the best tones out of them.

However, if you play rock, you want poweramp breakup. So you need/want a lower wattage, depending on the venue size.

EDIT: The tube sections are now switched, thanks to Kevin Saale.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jun 22, 2008,
the more watts, the cleaner it will sound, its not just about loudness.
but if your talking about loudness, 50 should cut it.
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
i would say get a peavey classic 30, they're loud as **** and soudn amazing

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

600 is too much. I saw a video of a 600W head with 28 total tubes, I think, and 16 12-inch speakers, I think. It was a Blue Voodoo. That's an insane amount of wattage and volume.

I've got 15W and that is loud enough for me. Gets over the drums, and can also do bedrooom volumes. I can't believe I was ever even considering a 100W tube amp!
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by stratman_13
There is no real "too much" wattage. The only reason that these amps have so much wattage is for headroom. Most of the amps you listed are for metal purposes. You need as much headroom as possible. I think somewhere on here it was said that the metal amps don't rely as much on preamp gain as they do power amp gain.

In other words, they don't need to be cranked to get the best tones out of them.

However, if you play rock, you want preamp breakup. So you need/want a lower wattage, depending on the venue size.

And yeah. I probably got the preamp/poweramp gain bass-akwards . So I apologize and invite someone to correct me.

this man is right, tho im not sure on the pre/power amp thing either.

Realistically all you need is 20 or 30 watts for a gig, because 90% of the time you will be running through the PA, which can be hundreds even thousands of watts.
Quote by E V H 5150
600 is too much. I saw a video of a 600W head with 28 total tubes, I think, and 16 12-inch speakers, I think. It was a Blue Voodoo. That's an insane amount of wattage and volume.

I've got 15W and that is loud enough for me. Gets over the drums, and can also do bedrooom volumes. I can't believe I was ever even considering a 100W tube amp!

600 watts ? if this is true that is insane. also i thought for more gain(or at least smoother gain) you needed to crank the amp unless i am mistaken. even if this is not the case and i am wrong 120 watts is too much for anything
Quote by hawk5211

Realistically all you need is 20 or 30 watts for a gig, because 90% of the time you will be running through the PA, which can be hundreds even thousands of watts.

Quote by ironman1478
600 watts ? if this is true that is insane. also i thought for more gain(or at least smoother gain) you needed to crank the amp unless i am mistaken. even if this is not the case and i am wrong 120 watts is too much for anything

Yeah. It's here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mvH8wFdE
--

--
I'm looking for the video of the 600W amp but I can't find it. When I find it I'll post it.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Last edited by E V H 5150 at Jun 22, 2008,
Quote by hawk5211

but if you're not running through the P.A, you wont be heard.
Quote by E V H 5150
I'm looking for the video of the 600W amp but I can't find it. When I find it I'll post it.

It's in my second post mate
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
There is no real "too much" wattage. The only reason that these amps have so much wattage is for headroom. Most of the amps you listed are for metal purposes. You need as much headroom as possible. I think somewhere on here it was said that the metal amps don't rely as much on preamp gain as they do power amp gain.

However, if you play rock, you want preamp breakup. So you need/want a lower wattage, depending on the venue size.

And yeah. I probably got the preamp/poweramp gain bass-akwards . So I apologize and invite someone to correct me.

You got power amp and preamp backwards. Metal amps use strictly preamp distortion for their sound. For rock you're going to want some kind of a mix. Lower wattage amps are gonna give you poweramp distortion more easily, but you will sacrifice cleans. I think a 25 or 30 watt amp balances the ability to get some poweramp break up and ability to have usable cleans at gigging volumes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You got power amp and preamp backwards. Metal amps use strictly preamp distortion for their sound. For rock you're going to want some kind of a mix. Lower wattage amps are gonna give you poweramp distortion more easily, but you will sacrifice cleans. I think a 25 or 30 watt amp balances the ability to get some poweramp break up and ability to have usable cleans at gigging volumes.

Thanks man. I thought I had it backwards but I wasn't sure.

--

--
Quote by uvq
but if you're not running through the P.A, you wont be heard.

and how often do you not run through a PA at any gig larger than 50 people, in which case a 30 watter would still be loud enough??
30-120 watts is reasonable for gigs IMO, 30 if you want power tube break up mixed with your preamp breakup. Most say that 50 watts is all anyone really needs and I agree, because a 100-120 watt amp is not really all that much louder than the 50 on average 3-4 db, but in some situations (like playing outside) that extra 3 db will really help you hear your self on the clean channel and that 3-4 diference will be the diference between clean and over driven tone. About the whole preamp tube VS. power tube distortion, honestly 98% or more,(pulled that number out of my arss) of the modern recorded music uses only preamp tube distortion, its much smother and controlable, and really in today world with all the awesome amps being made there is really no need to get a black face fender and crank it to 12 to get you OD tone. I agree that cranking a black face is cool but amps have come so far and really thats unessisary nowdays for most people. IMO
Quote by ironman1478
if you try to crank a 50 watt amp you will go deaf and if you crank a freaking 120 watt amp you will lose your head. so i ask you UG how many watts is too much?30?50?100?120?

i hear people say this a lot, but i dunno ...

ive sat in guitarshops and maxed out the volume on both 50 watts and 100watt amps and it didnt hurt my ears...

i mean if your in a quiet room and then all of the sudden crank an amp the drastic increase in volume will shock you, but once your ears adjust its not that bad

its like going from a dark room to a bright room

and if your ears are really that sensitive just get an attenuator
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Quote by STriNG-RaY
i hear people say this a lot, but i dunno ...

ive sat in guitarshops and maxed out the volume on both 50 watts and 100watt amps and it didnt hurt my ears...

i mean if your in a quiet room and then all of the sudden crank an amp the drastic increase in volume will shock you, but once your ears adjust its not that bad

its like going from a dark room to a bright room

and if your ears are really that sensitive just get an attenuator

You've sat in a guitar shop and maxed out the volume on a 100 watt tube amp?

Right.

EDIT: And you're quoting yourself in your sig? That explains a lot.
Quote by TheProducer
You've sat in a guitar shop and maxed out the volume on a 100 watt tube amp?

Right.

EDIT: And you're quoting yourself in your sig? That explains a lot.

yah i have done it, more specifically, on a laney, orange, mesa rec, marshall and even a peavey classic,

i like to test the headroom and how certain volumes will interact with my 2x12 speaker cab
(yes i bring my speakers to the shop when im looking to buy $$$ amps)

100watts isnt that much louder than a 30 watt amp, any 100 wat amp is nothing compared to a concert

...whats that smell?? *sniffs* smells like a pussy too me!

EDIT: what the hell do you know bout volume levels on tube amps?
you have a crappy digital vox amp lol
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Last edited by STriNG-RaY at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by STriNG-RaY
yah i have done it, more specifically, on a laney, orange, mesa rec, marshall and even a peavey classic,

i like to test the headroom and how certain volumes will interact with my 2x12 speaker cab
(yes i bring my speakers to the shop when im looking to buy $$$ amps)

100watts isnt that much louder than a 30 watt amp, any 100 wat amp is nothing compared to a concert

...whats that smell?? *sniffs* smells like a pussy too me!

EDIT: what the hell do you know bout volume levels on tube amps?
you have a crappy digital vox amp lol

Right, I'm a pussy, I forgot. Actually no, I just will enjoy being able to hear my grandchildren speak.

If you want to waste your money on making yourself deaf, it's fine by me.

And yes I have a "crappy digital vox amp" however just because I don't own a tube amp doesn't mean I've never played one.
Quote by ironman1478
string-ray you realize you call yourself retarded in your own signature right?

exactly.. why are you fightinng against a retard?

doesn't it make you feel bad?
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Quote by TheProducer
I'm a pussy

DAMN STRAIGHT

i think i should sig this LOL
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Quote by STriNG-RaY
DAMN STRAIGHT

i think i should sig this LOL

I think you should get a life, personally.

Go play some WoW where people might actually like you.

And yes, if a pussy is someone who doesn't want or need to max out a 100 watt tube amp, then yes, I'm the hugest pussy around.
Quote by ironman1478
i was looking at new amps since i am stuck with a broken vox ad30vt and a roland cube 15x. will i was looking at some new amps i saw about 20 that were over 50 watts and few over 100 (bugera/peavey valveking 212). it seems like the people designing these amps are insane. everyone knows to get a good tone out of a tube amp you have to crank it and the more watts you have the more you have to put the volume up. if you try to crank a 50 watt amp you will go deaf and if you crank a freaking 120 watt amp you will lose your head. so i ask you UG how many watts is too much?30?50?100?120?

God I hate UG sometimes, everyone spouts about crap and people end up thinking this rubbish is true.

You don't need an amp on 10 for it to sound good, 50 watts is not that much louder than 30, 100 watts is not that much louder than 50.

Putting an amp on 4 or 5 is more than enough to get the power tubes working. And some amps are 100 watts for sound reasons.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by TheProducer
I think you should get a life, personally.

Go play some WoW where people might actually like you.

what are you talking about people love me
how can you hate a retard?

and FYI my level 50 dwarf can own your ass anyday of the week
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Last edited by STriNG-RaY at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by STriNG-RaY
what are you talking about people love
how can you hate a retard?

and FYI my level 50 dwarf can own your ass anyday of the week

I'm very happy for you, really.
Quote by timi_hendrix
God I hate UG sometimes, everyone spouts about crap and people end up thinking this rubbish is true.

You don't need an amp on 10 for it to sound good, 50 watts is not that much louder than 30, 100 watts is not that much louder than 50.

Putting an amp on 4 or 5 is more than enough to get the power tubes working. And some amps are 100 watts for sound reasons.

exactly....

the main difference from say a 30watt amp to higher wattage would be more clean headroom

the actual audible loudness between these wattages is almost negligible, people who want their amps to break up at lower volumes get lower wattages, people who want to maintain a cleaner sound and higher volumes get higher wattages, or a jazz chrous
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Quote by TheProducer
I'm very happy for you, really.

do you want to be my friend?
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Quote by STriNG-RaY
do you want to be my friend?

you should really stop
you are nothing but a fool
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
you should really stop
you are nothing but a fool

well atleast im not foolish enough to buy a MG halfstack AHAHAHA

man even im not THAT retarded

...and then to go further by taking pictures to show it off lol
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...