hey everybody, a few months ago i made the switch from guitar to bass in order to fill a hole in my friends band and have found i like it WAY more than guitar. right now im playing a borrowed epi firebird, but since ive decided to stick with bass i think its time to go ahead and buy my own(and im also getting tired of having it tip over every time i let go!). my band plays a lot of things ranging from 80's metal to grunge to punk, but i would like to throw some funk and other genres into what i play at home. im looking at a budget of up to $450 right now. thanks in advance for any advice
Quote by Swat Man
if you get an MG you support terrorism
a p bass works for everything pretty much i'd get that i did the same thing as you and i started out on a p bass. theyre amazing
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Fender MiM P-bass would do you well. Maybe not too well on the funk stuff, but itll get the more aggresive stuff for your band done easily. Also try out an OLP MM-22, a double humbucker version of OLP's Stingray copy.
i prefer a fender jazz bass, you can play anything on them they are very versatile and i think they are comfortable
what would be the difference between a jazz and a p bass?
Quote by Swat Man
pickups
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
A Wal bass would be great but it's expensive and kind of hard to get a hold of one. But a Rickenbacker 4000 series would be good too. and an Ibanez black eagle is good too.
cool, ill check those out this week when i can stop by guitar center
Quote by Swat Man
Quote by 69usefulidiot69
A Wal bass would be great but it's expensive and kind of hard to get a hold of one. But a Rickenbacker 4000 series would be good too. and an Ibanez black eagle is good too.

That's right. Suggest $1000+ basses when he has a $450 budget. And Wal's are EXTREMELY ahrd to get hold of now since I believe they are out of business atm.

Anyways, the best piece of advice you'll get concerning this is to try out every single bass you can find in your budget.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 22, 2008,
for $450 a mexican Jazz or P bass would be good. Also, take a look at Ibanez's Soundgear line.
For the price range I would suggest either a Mexican jazz or p bass. If it was me I would keep saving my money to buy a higher quality bass... but thats just me. I just got a Warwick $$ and cant put it down. For you I would suggest a Warwick corvette standard. You can pick one up for around $1000 new.
thanks guys, looks like i have a few to check out
Quote by Swat Man
Quote by esposito123
For you I would suggest a Warwick corvette standard. You can pick one up for around $1000 new.

$1000>>>>>$450 buddy. Why would you rec stuff like that when he give a budget? I hate it when people do that.

TS: try an Ibanez SR 400, Ibanez SRX390, or a MIM Fender.
I will throw out another suggestion, Schecter Stiletto, a new one is a bit over your budget but you could prolly score a used one.
Is this budget for an amp as well? U'll need a bass amp, u will break guitar amp if yopu play bass through it!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And Wal's are EXTREMELY hard to get hold of now since I believe they are out of business atm.

From what I've read, Wal as is is known now is defunct because of Pete Steven's health problems, they say he's trying to find a luthier to replace himself, but Wal makes such distinct basses, I doubt they will be exactly the same.

I've seen a bunch of their early to mid eighties fretless's on ebay lately though.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
A Burns London Bison Series from between 1998-2002...best bass I've ever played. A lot of people don't know what they're worth so if you can get one cheap like I did, you'll get a great bass worth about $6000. I only paid $550 for mine.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Is this budget for an amp as well? U'll need a bass amp, u will break guitar amp if yopu play bass through it!!

right now i have a practice bass amp that my buddy gave me since he didnt use it anymore. im using that one at home for now and his ampeg for gigs. im also headed to guitar center today to try a bunch of basses out, kinda leaning towards a fender jazz bass right now because of its style and the smaller neck would probably feel best cus i got smaller hands
Quote by Swat Man
Quote by crackhutch
A Burns London Bison Series from between 1998-2002...best bass I've ever played. A lot of people don't know what they're worth so if you can get one cheap like I did, you'll get a great bass worth about $6000. I only paid $550 for mine.

i have a vinatage 60s Bison guitar... its in sorta sorry shape (somebody gave it to my uncle for free when he was painting their house) but the playability is phenominal, and it sounds good despite the fact that only the bridge pup works. eventually we are going to try to restore it, the electronics need work as does the Rezo-Tube trem and the finish, but its very much worth saving.

personally i despise the mexican fenders(well the p bass anyway, i dont mind the jazzes), but try them out you may like them. also the schecter stilleto deluxe is about 350, they arent bad at all. the best thing to do is walk into as many music stores as possible and play everything in your price range
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
so i got to go to guitar center today and have decided on the bass that i am going to get...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom4-Bass?sku=513049

just wanted to say thanks for recommending this bass to me because if it wasnt for someones suggestion i probably wouldnt have played it while i was there. now all i have to do is save up some extra cash to expand my bidget but it was so comfortable and i loved how it sounded so i have no other choice but to get it
Quote by Swat Man