Page 1 of 3
Hi. I just need some good advice for why i should choose bass over normal electric guitar. I started playing El-guitar because when the time comes for me to make a band i would want to make the guitar riffs and all that by my self and be in control of the "Main" sound. But i have ALLWAYS wanted to play bass. I just can't decide which to go for. Can someone give some comments on why choose bass?

Btw: I have only played El-Guitar for around 4 months so if i choose a new instrument now, it wouldn't make that much of a difference
Well, I'm getting my buddy started on bass so that we can start a band...
If you like both... play both? Lots of people do it. It's really not our job to give you a convincing arguement as to why you should choose bass over guitar or vice versa. I doubt most people really care, to be honest. Play both, and choose which ever one you have more fun with.
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

I play both :P
All your base are belong to us.
I play guitar, but if I could go back and start from scratch I would play bass. EVERYONE needs a bassist. Honestly. You could suck and be in 7 bands at once. Also, it's definitely true that the whole world plays guitar... don't be like everyone else.
I play guitar mainly but I played bass in a band for about a year and absolutely loved it. It was more fun playing bass in the band than it is to play guitar. Playing guitar, you're kind of expected to be flashy and really good at it. For me personally I'm good at guitar, I've been playing for eight years but I always feel the pressure to be better than what I am. With bass I felt relaxed because I wasn't put up to higher expectations and was able to play comfortably. If I didn't have so much guitar gear I would play bass full time, but with 18 guitars, two amps and a bunch of effect pedals, I'd find it tough to not use it. Play bass, it can be a lot of fun.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']You're not done being flamed in your other thread yet

My guitar was here first so lay hands off my soul.
it picked guitar mainly because guitar has purer searchbars
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by ThatGuy177
Start with bass then go to guitar.

Why? give me one good reason? i hate when people say that, or vice versa
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by minichibi
I play guitar, but if I could go back and start from scratch I would play bass. EVERYONE needs a bassist. Honestly. You could suck and be in 7 bands at once. Also, it's definitely true that the whole world plays guitar... don't be like everyone else.

jack white doesnt need a bassist..haha

i'd play both if i had the money but i don't. if you can only do one go with whichever you'd rather do. it doesn't really matter what everyone else does either way.
Seriously, play both. I play clarinet, tuba, and bass and I'm pretty decent at them. Well, not so much tuba, but it's hard to lug a tuba home and fit it into a 2-room apartment to practice.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by arcticradiohead
jack white doesnt need a bassist..haha

he sounds way better with one, though.
Raconteurs>White Stripes
Brandon Benson's pop sensibilities might be part of the draw however...

but if you play bass, you can get gigs a lot easier. and you can get success with considerably weaker efforts.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Why play bass? Well, eventually, you'll learn that bassists write riffs, have more control over the "main sound" of the band than a guitar, that there are many more bands than bassists and guitar players than bands, and that basses are not a type of guitar and that there's no such fucking thing as a "normal guitar".
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist

(And no, Seven Nation Army is NOT done on bass)

really it isn't he just uses a whammy pedal.

you can do so much **** on a guitar dude its ridiculous just cause most people either go out and play straight power chords or try and play at ****in 40 notes per second doesn't mean that's all there is to do on guitar, you can be so much more creative with it. i think knowing bass too helps tho cause you get a better feel for rythym.

but ya it is way easier to get in a band as a bass player.
The reason i learned bass because imo bass is more busy than guitar besides solos, it might just be my style, but without a bass the band can't be carried, i want people to rely on me to carry the sound, plus put my own personal touch on things. Bass is amazing wouldnt be the person i am today without it
Quote by Xp3ns1v3

Amen!!
i play bass because of rhcp and bootsy collins (even though some say flea is overrated)

i reckon you can do more on bass (for example slapping) than on guitar, sure on guitar you can play more notes in a second but so what it just sounds like a bunch of notes.
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
If you want to play bass play bass, if you want to be the main man and in control..... Play kickass bass!!
You should just play both. I know I'm just repeating what everyone is saying, but it's true.
This thread is surprisingly tame for this forum.

My question is this: Since when do Guitarists have control over the main sound and the riffs? That is the Bassist's job.
id have to say its whatever you really want they are both equal yeah alot of people see the lead guitar player as the bigger part of the sound but all musicians know that without bass all songs would sound dull and when it comes to creating songs both bass and guitar can be used to create music. you could make a bass line and have the lead and rhythm guitars play something that goes with the bass line
I play both, but I play bass in a band, and I write all the songs, with the drummer. So the guitarist is my bitch

Just play which ever one you want, we can't decide what you like for you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Play whatever is the most fun to you, no one can tell you what to play. Do you like to provide the groove of the song, and don't mind being in the background or do you like the limelight of the lead? A lot will boil down to your personality as the instrument and how you play it will reflect yourself. Being in higher demand for bands doesn't hurt either for a bassist.

I played guitar for 8 months and then switched primarily to bass because I enjoyed it a lot more being the more rhythm oriented person I am. I do still dabble in the guitar as the theory in both instruments benefits each other, and when my fingers hurt too much from playing the bass for so long. Depending on which one you choose look at the theory for both instruments, maybe even purchasing a cheap version of the other instrument to experiment on, especially with guitar theory on how chords are constructed and intervals.

The main thing is to have fun with what you are playing or you will get bored and have the instrument sitting in the corner all alone and using the amp as a shelf.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play tin whistle.

I play both :P

fixed
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
To sum up. For me, these are the reasons why bass became my primary instrument over guitar. I still play both but love bass more. I think playing both (and drums) makes me a much better musician btw.

1. Its more fun. I have way more fun playing bass than I did playing guitar
2. Fitz is right, you have immense control over the sound of the band. A good bassist makes everyone sound better, even a bad guitarist.
3. You will never lack for band work.
4. You are the glue that binds the band together.

Seriously, see how bad ass Suzi Quattro looks. Who wouldn't want to play bass?
Sigged curbstomp

But on topic, just play both and pick whichever you like more. Echo..
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
it makes you a better musician in composing for the complete sound spectrum (assuming you can sing and play guitar as well)...

also i find its much easier to come up with "eureeka" riffs on bass than it is on guitar

im the bassist in both of my bands and i write most of the music and front both...and i still have time for an acoustic project(all by my lonesome)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Last edited by latinosuperstud at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Bumper
don't choose bass over guitar. Guitar is more fun anyways.

Guitar is funner to play, but Bass is more fulfilling.
Quote by Andy_A
i have ALLWAYS wanted to play bass.
Sounds like you want to play bass then.
Quote by smb
Sounds like you want to play bass then.

Again, you ruin everyone's fun.
I'm more of a bass player, but I play guitar a lot, too.

I say play both. If you like one more then the other, concentrate on that instrument a little bit more and use the other as a hobby or something.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Bass players are much better endowed.

OH YEAH, EPIC WIN.

Seriously, if you can't decide play both, well known bass players do play guitar as well, Rob Trujillo from Metallica is a fine example.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3

Quote by anarkee
Suzi Quattro

???
Attachments:
suziq_7.jpg
Quote by RockDJ
Again, you ruin everyone's fun.
Was a first ban not enough for you? I've reported this and the other post where you said that.
Page 1 of 3