ive tuned my jackson RR3 to standard e and now im thinking about going all the way down to drop C. all i would like to know what is the best way to do this because im not sure if i should get new strings or change the spring tension and what not.
You would have to change the spring tension in the back if you tune to C.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
is that all i would have to do, and if the spring tension was set to drop c does that mean i have to change the tension for every tuning i go into. i mostly play drop d and one step down to D
Lol, first off there isn't a set tension for any tuning. Anotherwords you don't hook it up to something and tune the springs to a certain tension.

Go ahead and tune the guitar to Drop C. The bridge should rise out of the body. Then you tighten the screws in the back cavity about a quarter turn at a time. Then retune the guitar to drop C. Repeat, you may have to do this about 4 times.

Whenever the Floyd sits parallel with the top of the guitar AND its in Drop C...that's it, you're in tune ready to rock out with your Floyd.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Lol, first off there isn't a set tension for any tuning. Anotherwords you don't hook it up to something and tune the springs to a certain tension.

Go ahead and tune the guitar to Drop C. The bridge should rise out of the body. Then you tighten the screws in the back cavity about a quarter turn at a time. Then retune the guitar to drop C. Repeat, you may have to do this about 4 times.

Whenever the Floyd sits parallel with the top of the guitar AND its in Drop C...that's it, you're in tune ready to rock out with your Floyd.

No, the bridge should lower INTO the body since you're reducing string tension

The basic idea with a Floyd is string tension vs spring tension, you should keep the Floyd parallel with the body by placing a taped up 9V battery in the small cavity in the front then tune down to drop C then loosen the screws until you can remove the 9V battery without the tremolo moving.

I would suggest increasing your string gauge if you use anything less than 10.s, even with 10.s it's pretty slack and bad.
yea i am bringing my guitar in and they are going to set it up to drop c and put some 11 gauges on. i just want know how to do this for future reference. some of you have been talking about loosening or tightening screws. what ones are you talking about
Quote by XianXiuHong
No, the bridge should lower INTO the body since you're reducing string tension

Whoops, sry had that backwards in my head lol

Hmm... I wouldn't go much bigger than a 48 or 50 on your biggest string. The bigger the gauge, the muddier they tend to sound. Although a set of thin-thicks probably would be alright (unwound strings are light gauge, wound strings are a heavy(er) gauge)
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by MattRR3
some of you have been talking about loosening or tightening screws. what ones are you talking about

If you turn the guitar over, inside the back cavity there's a bar that the springs attach to. This bar is mounted (usually) by 2 screws that screw into the guitar's body wood. You have to loosen these screws in order to properly put a Floyd Rose in drop tuning
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

so once my guitar is set to drop c is that the only tuning i could play or could i just tune the high E string to D and play one step down?
I guess you could, but your bridge would rise out of the body slightly. Plus you would have re-tune all the strings because the increase in tension on one string makes the rest of the strings increase in tension.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60