I have heard and read great things about it. Now, I'm not very into metal, I play modern rock, and the heaviest music I listen to is probably music by Skillet. Bands I like include Breaking Benjamin, Flyleaf, and lighter stuff like Three Days Grace, Daughtry. So, would the metal muff suit me? It sounds great, but I won't be needing the very heavy metal sound (though I'd like to play around with it sometimes), and I'm worried that maybe it can't do modern rock ish distortion. I've heard some demos but they're all heavy metal. So, should I get it, or something else?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The metal muff is very versatile and can do all of those bands. IMO at least.

You might want to look into the regular muff as well.
The metal muff is pretty bad, they just took the big muff and added more distortion. Which doesn't make it metal.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I did not like the big muff at all, sounded pretty nasty imo. If it is just big muff with more distortion, I cant imagine it sounding good.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
so, what should I get if I want the smooth heavy rock distortion? (I just remembered I heard demos of the big muff, it's like a fuzz pedal, I don't like fuzz, it's like solidstate amp distortion 0_o)
I hate hearsay.

Try them both out, and decide if they meet your needs. They have a different sound altogether. The Metal Muff has a different tone than the big muff, which has a thicker distortion. The Metal Muff also has top boost, which is useful for solos. It's not just the muff with extra gain heaped on top.

Nasty is actually a good adjective to describe the muff's distortion/fuzz. Very thick and nasty, but in a good way. If you EQ correctly, you can get an entire range of wonderful tones out of it.
I have a metal muff and I love it.

I can play lighter stuff (AC/DC, Aerosmith) and some of the heaviest stuff I play (Lamb Of God, Metallica, Megadeth) and everything in between (Nirvana, Airbourne).

It works well on most solid states I've used it with, but I find that the Metal Muff really outdoes itself when played through a tube amp. With a solid state you can get good distortion, but with a tube amp it sounds natural (if you know what I mean).

Unless I get a $$$$ all-tube Marshall, I won't be getting rid of my Metal Muff any time soon.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I have a metal muff and I love it.

I can play lighter stuff (AC/DC, Aerosmith) and some of the heaviest stuff I play (Lamb Of God, Metallica, Megadeth) and everything in between (Nirvana, Airbourne).

It works well on most solid states I've used it with, but I find that the Metal Muff really outdoes itself when played through a tube amp. With a solid state you can get good distortion, but with a tube amp it sounds natural (if you know what I mean).

Unless I get a $$$$ all-tube Marshall, I won't be getting rid of my Metal Muff any time soon.

do you mean, If I have a tube amp, I shouldn't get the metal muff?

to everyone else, should I get the boss ds-1 (I think that's the name) instead?
what that guy ment is that if you have a tube amp with nice distortion you shouldn't need the pedal...

but yeah, that DS1 pedal is good its got versatile sounds and it's built like a rock
they also have a super distortion version of it with extra gain
The DS-1 is a good pedal as well. I must say that the Metal Muff is better, though.
I meant that the Metal Muff sounds more natural through a tube amp than a solid state.

That's how I use mine. I have a single-channel tube amp (Fender Vibro Champ) and I use the Metal Muff for all my distortion needs.

The Metal Muff sounds good through a solid state, but it really sings through a tube amp is what I meant.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
should I get that instead? either of the boss ones, or should I get the metal muff still? or some other pedal?

*thanks for all the help already*
you need to try out the runt of the litter. the nano metal muff. i tried the regular metal muff and the mini metal muff and they were way too fuzzy but the nano is clearer and cleaner and can get you all those band's tone and them some.
Quote by Dance_of_Death
you need to try out the runt of the litter. the nano metal muff. i tried the regular metal muff and the mini metal muff and they were way too fuzzy but the nano is clearer and cleaner and can get you all those band's tone and them some.

anyone else agree with dance of death?..
Get the Metal Muff. I just bought one yesterday, and I've been messing around with the EQ quite a bit, and from what I've heard from it, it's very versatile.

It can get you almost any rock/metal tone you're looking for with its EQ and gain control.
YEAH
go for it i dont own one but my buddy has got one and it can do every kind of metal
squier starter amp
squier bullet strat
epiphone les paul custom elitist with duncans
blackheart handsome devil
peavey vyper

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I owned one, I'm selling it on eBay now cause it broke, and some other people have had the same problem (don't want to discourage you). To me, the tone is very thin and harsh, and I personally don't care for distortion pedals. If I want distortion I get it from the amp (but that's just me).

There are probably better options out there, I've heard the landmine distortion is pretty good. I was listening/watching a video review of the boss DS-1 by Jason Spencer (I think) on youtube, and the tone was pretty similar to my MM. Probably best to try out your options.
Quote by soundfx444
go for it i dont own one but my buddy has got one and it can do every kind of metal

but..i don't do metal..did you read my first post?

Does anyone else have any help/suggestions? Does the metal muff only do metal? heeelp..

Edit: I've read that the nano metal muff is better, and that it can do overdrive to distortion to metal..is this true? any nano metal muff users out there?

I still don't know whether to go for it or what
Last edited by penguinsarecool at Jun 23, 2008,
Metal Muffs are awesome, you can play anything except maybe the most crunchy distortion songs
Quote by rgbandit
Metal Muffs are awesome, you can play anything except maybe the most crunchy distortion songs

what do you mean by that? meaning, the most "metal"?
Quote by penguinsarecool
anyone else agree with dance of death?..

Not at all, the big one is the only one worth buying IMO, he just didn't mess with the EQ enough.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Metal Muff is good... I've owned it... it sounded great through a Twin and an AC30. It will get the tones you look for.... it is brutal without sounding too thin or fizzy... now, I will say that the one with "top boost" really sends the highs over the top... sometimes good, sometimes not.

However... I would HIGHLY recommend that you try it out with your actual gear... as my experience has been that no matter how good/bad something sounds with my gear (guitar, amps, other pedals) it will most likely react much differently with yours.

One thing to keep in mind... my experience with it is that it is really only good for getting METAL tones... not much else...

AND.... it sounds NOTHING like a Big Muff in ANY way. I also own a Big Muff and they are COMPLETELY different beasts...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Try out the MI Audio Crunch Box, that pedal sounds awesome and i will be buying one next time i'm in town.
Its called the METAL muff. Dont want heavy metal tones? You dont want this pedal.

What amp do you have?
Quote by Final !mpact
Its called the METAL muff. Dont want heavy metal tones? You dont want this pedal.

What amp do you have?

I'll be getting a Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo next month, I have a PRS SE Singlecut now..so, what should I get? I don't like fuzzy distortion, I like it smooth
thanks for all the help already. I still need help though.
well, i dont think you should get any pedal right before buying an amp.

arent you buying an amp to achieve these tones?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by DeadMansCurve
Try out the MI Audio Crunch Box, that pedal sounds awesome and i will be buying one next time i'm in town.

wow. I love the sound of that, I just heard some samples on the website of MI Audio. Are there any other pedals that sound like that?
Quote by jj1565
well, i dont think you should get any pedal right before buying an amp.

arent you buying an amp to achieve these tones?

The amp, I won't be using it all the time. At church, I'm just running through the PA system, for example..
the metal muff sounds VERY different thru different amp systems.

even if you like it with ur peavey, doesnt mean you'll like it thru a pa or practice amp.

anyone giving you a definate answer, either doesnt know or doesnt care to give you good advice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What kind of amp do you have?
The EQ on the Metal Muff is awesome, don't settle for the nano.
I can dial in an OD tone with the MM. As was said tho, it all depends on your amp.
If you're getting a XXX then I don't see a point in getting a MM. You'd be better off getting an OD pedal to compliment the tubes. BUT if you want a pedal to do the whole PA church thing, then I would highly recommend the MM. I love mine. Try it out, and be patient with it, it takes a little while to get the eq dialed in but once you do, its golden, for any type of rock.