Page 1 of 2
Hey, can you recommend me a good blues guitar for a good price? around 750 and under. I was looking at a Gretsch G5 ( I like it more then the epi/gibson dot, ES-335 so dont recommend me them plz, or the ibanez), a Les paul, and a Fender Stratocaster.
Now my problems are..
Gretsch - Cant find a white one for a good price
Strat - Too plain, not that big of a strat fan, but i would take it if i could find a nice looking one (Problem is price range)
Les paul - id rather not get one, but maybe. Id consider getting a nice one and putting in some Texas Special pickups but the 4th pickup will be stock? , also id like to get a gibson, but theyre hard to get for my price range

EDIT: Found a nice strat, anyone want to give me a price on it? http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0101570852
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Texas Specials aren't gonna go in an LP, LP has humbuckers, texas specials are single coil. I'd get a Deluxe Players Strat.

Edit: The guitar you asked about runs for around 1400 bucks USD.
Feed your mind.
1200 usd
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
buy a used american or a new japan strat

/thread
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
STFU about the amp kthx, its not as bad as you people say, you prob havent even tryed one, my sg isnt a blues guitar as much as they are, and haha no thanks i dont really want a v :P
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
I've tried one. It sucks. And there's no such thing as a blues guitar. Like a guitar? Good. Play the blues? Good. There you go. Bad sound? Nooooooo.
K. Its a guitar that has a bluesy tone, and im going to call BS on you playing one, either that or your trying to be a ass. Im not getting a 1000+ dollar amp just to jam in my room or with people at their houses. So its either that or your retarded or just one of the people who hates them for no reason. now GTFO
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Yes, because all the tone comes from the guitar. And when did I say you needed a $1000 amp? You want a cheap amp for blues? Something like a Blackheart or Epi VJ would be good. A Fender Blues Jr. if you're willing to expand your budget.

And for your information, I have an MG. I bought it when I started. It now serves as a foot-stool AT MOST. And here's more advice if you really LOVE the MG. Try the guitars out. I like the twangy sound of a Tele for blues or the nice, raw sound of the LP.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Jun 23, 2008,
My amp is fine fagor, i think i could tell how my amp sounds after having it for almost a year, and if i didnt like it id have a new one.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Well, first off, there is no such thing as a blues guitar. You can play blues on literally anything, stringed or not. Or without an instrument at all. It's all about how you do so.

As far as your tone, unless the SG is unplayable, get a new amp first. SG's are excellent guitars for just about anything. Pete Townsend, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton all played them. So get a Vox AD30 or AD15 or a Palomino or something else besides an MG, and you'll like your tone so much better.

We aren't telling you this to bust your balls, but to help a fellow guitarist out.
.. OK
here is what im asking
Im looking for a guitar with a good blues tone, and i have selected them 3. I know eric clapton and them had a SG , but they also used strats. I dont need a new amp and i dont need any BS about it.
TY
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
I think you have had your answer about 10 times already! Clapton used an SG, then a strat. SRV - strat, buddy guy - strat, B.B. King - ES-335, Albert King - Flying V, Johnny Winter - Gibson Firebird... tone is all 90% in the amp, you can blues on any guitar.
Quote by KennySG
.. OK
here is what im asking
Im looking for a guitar with a good blues tone, and i have selected them 3. I know eric clapton and them had a SG , but they also used strats. I dont need a new amp and i dont need any BS about it.
TY

Yes, you need a new amp.
The G400 is a perfectly fine guitar for blues. In fact, it's probably one of the better guitars for blues (Listen to clapton when he used an SG, IMO, his tone was the best when he used an SG).
Get a new amp which suits blues music, and just get new pickups in the SG to bring it closer to what you want.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
And like imgooley said we're trying to help not bust your balls about the MG, if you don't believe us take your guitar to a store and plug it into a Blues Junior and crank it up. I reckon you will be impressed, and they are pretty cheap too.
Indeed guy hate to say it but 90% of your Tone Comes from your Amp... my Step Father has a Schecter XXX with Duncans and has a Twin Reverb... doesn't make a Reissue Twin Reverb Scream.. hell Sounded like any other guitar would with Humbuckers plugged into a Twin Reverb.. Don't get me wrong Im not one to Bash MG's as a matter of fact I have owned one.. I enjoyed it for its use.. I feel the distortion gives it that extremely Treble attack.. its really only good for some Metal.. that Blues Slight Distortion you arn't going to get with a MG.. I will also Second the Epi Valve Jr..

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtfCK9icX8&feature=related This... a Marshall with a Stratocaster.. Still Sounds Not the Best.. ( 1:10 is where he gets to the Distortion )...
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Last edited by TheHentaiNazi at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by KennySG
.. OK
here is what im asking
TY
dude, if you want to get a muddy, bluesy sound you DO need to have an amp that can produce that tone and sound, a guitar can only go so far.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Quote by KennySG
.. OK
here is what im asking
TY

I'm pretty sure you don't even know who Sister Rosetta Tharpe is.

Bo Diddley played a box. Literally, a box, before he played an actual guitar (and even then he had a guitar shaped like a box). Buddy Guy used to un-weave a mosquito string and stretch it out to play music on, before he got a cheap Sears guitar. You think he didn't play blues?

Furthermore, all those people still sound like themselves regardless of what guitar they play. You get more tone from your fingers than anything else.

However, in order to get what many would call a 'blues tone' you need an amp with a warm low gain OD setting, which the MG cannot deliver. My brother has an MG10, and it is not a terrible little thing (at least the clean), but the overdrive/distortion sounds like bees in a box and has very little texture control. It always sounds the same, whether I play anything through it.

An Epi Valve Standard or a Crate V16 would be perfect for you AND both are under $300.
I did a blues jam with a guy that had a gibson faded SG.
Only difference in the guitar is he changed out the stock bridge pup for a GFS 90(not sure if it was the mean 90 or dream 90, but I'd say mean).
Man that was some beautiful overdriven sound.
The amp was an epiphone valve junior with american tubes.
Cranked, of course, with a celestion alcino blue speaker.

New pickup, new amp, new speaker.

New guitar isn't necessary.

And this was seriously THE BEST blues tone I've EVER heard.
He let me play it.
Man, there's a certain fullness in your ear you get from a mahogany guitar, vintage-correct pickups, and an overdriven tube amp through the right speaker.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
hell, if you want some additional tonal variety, put a GFS Mean 90 in place of your neck humbucker. A neck single-coil will do ya some good.

After you get a new amp, that is.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
hell, if you want some additional tonal variety, put a GFS Mean 90 in place of your neck humbucker. A neck single-coil will do ya some good.

After you get a new amp, that is.

Well, I personally say ALWAYS go bridge for a mean 90, because the sensitivity to attack and the treble bite, pure blues when you get the rest right.

Neck? It's not to it's full potential, IMO.
You'd do better to change the neck humbucker's pot to a 500K so that it shines there, in my opinion.

But we all know this guy needs a new amp. Pronto.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
While I agree with the sentiment here, that you should look into a new amp if you want to play the blues, I will still recommend a guitar.

I've got an Epi Les Paul (first guitar, love it still) that sounds great, and feels great too. But it can be hard to play with the tone nobs while playing. I've also got a Gretsch Electromatic 5150 that is absolutely amazing. Great warm tone, even on the same crunchy settings I use for my Les Paul through the amp. I'd say to look into one of those, the problem being that you can't get it in white I don't think. Black or orange.

With that said, I still think you need to get a new amp for the blues, unless you only want to play clean. Then you're fine. I would recommend the VOX AD30 series amps. Great versatility, tons of different settings, and you can't go wrong with a quality tube amp.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
If I had an axe that could make well formed vaginas I would go out a lot less.
Quote by schmidty3000
While I agree with the sentiment here, that you should look into a new amp if you want to play the blues, I will still recommend a guitar.

I've got an Epi Les Paul (first guitar, love it still) that sounds great, and feels great too. But it can be hard to play with the tone nobs while playing. I've also got a Gretsch Electromatic 5150 that is absolutely amazing. Great warm tone, even on the same crunchy settings I use for my Les Paul through the amp. I'd say to look into one of those, the problem being that you can't get it in white I don't think. Black or orange.

With that said, I still think you need to get a new amp for the blues, unless you only want to play clean. Then you're fine. I would recommend the VOX AD30 series amps. Great versatility, tons of different settings, and you can't go wrong with a quality tube amp.

Then you probably mean the AC30. The ADs are the Valvetronix amps.

Easy mistake to make, don't worry. just didn't want to have a confused threadstarter.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver

Easy mistake to make, don't worry. just didn't want to have a confused threadstarter.

I may be wrong, but without actually doing any research, and instead just looking at the front of my amp, it does say Valvetronix right under the big letters VOX.

Never mind, just stood up, and apparently I've been wrong for a while. I have a VOX AD15VT amp. Still great.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
Quote by Wulver

Well, that whole statement is confusing. He said 'AD30 series'. The AC30 isn't a series, it's one amp with minor variations, be it a speaker or different tolex, or a signature model.

He also said 'versatility and tons of different settings'. While the AC30 is versatile in it's own right, it's not going to do all the things that the AD series will (not saying that the AD series is better, but it is more versatile).

Then he makes a statement as if the AD series were tube amps, which they are not.

However, regardless of what he meant, the AD series amps are leaps and bounds better than the MG series, and more versatile to boot.
The ultimate tone comes from your fingers. Marshall MGs can sound every bit as good as any other amp if you can play well. Somehow this forum (and I've watched it develop from years back, mainly from Metalhead teenagers) believe Marshall MG series are just awful. I beg to differ. I've aquired a nice MG Microstack, and in the right hands, it sounds more than fine for a practise amp.
eat sleep play guitar
I'm just gonna go right ahead and state that I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore. Except that the Gretsch is a really good guitar, and the amp I've got is awesome possum.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
Quote by schmidty3000
I'm just gonna go right ahead and state that I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore. Except that the Gretsch is a really good guitar, and the amp I've got is awesome possum.

No worries, dude, your right on both accounts. The Electromatic is a damned good guitar (I prefer the 5122, personally). And I own the 50 watt version of your amp. It's a great amp for the guitarist on a budget who needs/wants supreme versatility, built in effects and gigable volume while still maintaining respectable tone.

Most tube amps within the range of the Valvetronix series of amps are one trick ponies, so unless you want a certain/same sound for everything you play, I would recommend them highly.
Quote by imgooley
Well, that whole statement is confusing. He said 'AD30 series'. The AC30 isn't a series, it's one amp with minor variations, be it a speaker or different tolex, or a signature model.

He also said 'versatility and tons of different settings'. While the AC30 is versatile in it's own right, it's not going to do all the things that the AD series will (not saying that the AD series is better, but it is more versatile).

Then he makes a statement as if the AD series were tube amps, which they are not.

However, regardless of what he meant, the AD series amps are leaps and bounds better than the MG series, and more versatile to boot.

Indeed they are. They're the only really "natural" sounding modeling amps I've ever played...

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Night Revolver
The ultimate tone comes from your fingers. Marshall MGs can sound every bit as good as any other amp if you can play well. Somehow this forum (and I've watched it develop from years back, mainly from Metalhead teenagers) believe Marshall MG series are just awful. I beg to differ. I've aquired a nice MG Microstack, and in the right hands, it sounds more than fine for a practise amp.

Have you like, actually HEARD a nice overdriven tube amp with a broken in tube and speaker, from a solid mahogany guitar and vintage-correct pickups?

There's no comparing.

You play an F C F powerchord on that, it'll sound more full and perfect than anything you can pull out of a microstack.
Some things just WORK.

Quote by cobain_is_king
imgooley has made me feel much better, even if I still look like a jackass in my previous posts.

Anyway, I still suggest the Electromatic from Gretsch. They've got a new double cutaway model that looks sick, and probably sounds just as good.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
Hm. Actually, that double cutaway Gretsch isnt' a bad idea. I tend to associate Gretsch guitars with country/rockabilly/George Harrison, but it can sure as hell get some good blues tones. And look good doing it, especially in that brown satin...

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Hm. Actually, that double cutaway Gretsch isnt' a bad idea. I tend to associate Gretsch guitars with country/rockabilly/George Harrison, but it can sure as hell get some good blues tones. And look good doing it, especially in that brown satin...

Yeah, the G5122 is a bad mother****er. The all black with white binding is pure sex. I played one through a Super Reverb. Damn near orgasmic tone.

The thing about Gretsches is that even their lower end models are superior quality. I personally think the 5122 is the best full hollow you can get for under 1500 bucks. It just reeks of awesome.
Well, I've only tried the 5120 myself. Once you get past the lack of upper fret access, it's a brilliant guitar. And, it definitely has more of a Brian Setzer (sp?) vibe than the 5122.

Then again, the 5122 in brown just drips of George Harrison....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Very true.

I've played them both, and the 5122 has better upper fret access, a thinner body, and a hotter sound (in a way). It's better for blues imo than the 5120, because it has a more upper middle bite to it, while the 5122 has that lower middle kick in it.

Rockabilly is just another of the many offshoots of blues, anyway.

5122=sex in a guitar. Never seen it in brown though.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5122-Double-Cutaway-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=514651

The four pics under the black one, man. THAT, is sex in guitar form, maybe paint the pickguard in cream or metallic gold or something though....

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5122-Double-Cutaway-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=514651

The four pics under the black one, man. THAT, is sex in guitar form, maybe paint the pickguard in cream or metallic gold or something though....

Man, that dark coffee color is awe-tastic! And the best thing for coffee is cream (lolz).
Yeah, i'm looking at one of those budget-ish gretches.
I've always loved the look of them, and if the pickups stink, luckily GFS has some nice looking replacement ones.
One of those will probably be my next guitar.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Iansmitchell
Have you like, actually HEARD a nice overdriven tube amp with a broken in tube and speaker, from a solid mahogany guitar and vintage-correct pickups?

There's no comparing.

You play an F C F powerchord on that, it'll sound more full and perfect than anything you can pull out of a microstack.
Some things just WORK.

I also own an Fender Deluxe Reverb and rent out JCM800 head and a Bogner Cab for gigs. So it's safe to say I've heard 'a nice overdriven tube amp'. And you know what? I never said the microstack was better, I said it was a capable practise amp that does what it's supposed to do. Most people here jump on the 'hate MG' bandwagon without even having any experience of playing it, and that's what I'm tired of hearing.

Alot of things work, but if you are incapable as a player, what's the point in playing all the fancy gear? You know what, I ain't going through this **** again.
eat sleep play guitar
Page 1 of 2