The pots and Toggle switch are gonna be the first things I want to change.

My gibson explorer is completely stock right now. I need to take it in for a set up so I thought I might as well get a few upgrades.

POTS:
Right now it has
2 volume 300K linear taper pots which don't give you much control over output.
1 Tone 500K audio taper

I know they have
300, 500 and a meg I definitely want audio tapers but how do I know which pot is the best and where to get them from?

Toggle:
The toggle slips a lot and gets fricken annoying, I think it could be a lot better. Which replacement it right for me?

Bridge:
Standard bridge, don't know if there's a better one? I like it so far. The intonation isn't too far off but the action is high and I decided I wanted it lowered which requires a full set up. I need the neck straightened and other junk. Any ideas? No Trems!

PUs:
High output junk if you ask me. I hate the things. I don't need high output for the music I play. I'm thinking 57's or duncan hot rodded. I wan't this guitar to range from classic rock to alternative. I play Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty along with other stuff from that awesome 90's early 00's era. I figure by the time I grow up and get better guitars, this is my classic rock/alternative guitar. I will get a strat for blues and country type stuff. Last I will probably get a jackson SL3 for metal and hair metal. I also was thinking a 335 on top of that for other blues/rock stuff. Suggestions for this guitar?

Maching Heads:
Standard mini grover for in-line placement. Something better?

I would like to know what the cost could be for each job separately and how much time they take incase the store charges by time. I would also like links to any suggestions on which type of hardware to get. I order from musicians friend to guitar center. If I can find it locally I'll get it there. Thanks for the help

Edit: Keep this thread, this is where I'll post pictures of the mods when I do them. I will post in the electric guitar thread as well to get differen't opinions.
Last edited by kai29 at Jun 23, 2008,
Tone Pot:
1 megs are insanely bright.
It's for metal and harmonics if you ask me.
300ks are so dark they shouldn't be used for anything but darkening super bright single coils

500Ks are what vintage gibsons used and they're right in the sweet spot.
Vol pots:
The 1 meg pot is to volume as it is to treble.
Good for using vintage output pickups to overdrive an amp. The kind of stuff EVH would do.

300K would be good for quieting a reasonable output to keep from a crazy volume drop when moving to single coils on a fat strat.

500Ks, yet again, are the sweet spot, IMO.

Try a switchcraft toggle, gibsons junk out even faster than epis.

The bridge.
Seeing as you don't want tremolo, I'd suggest this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Tailpiece-TP6?sku=306102
And a set of graphtech saddles.

I'd say go for a pair of GFS vintage 59s.
The output is right, they pretty much copied the old PAFs to the minor details.
Plus, the price is unbeatable.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59alpacl.html

I'd always suggest locking tuners, worth their weight in gold.
I also like the look of understated, black tuners.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Yeah 500ks seems perfect for a Gibson. Switchcraft switches are really nice. Anybody try Gibson Burstbuckers? I'm thinking about those but I've never heard them.
Quote by PhoenixFear
Yeah 500ks seems perfect for a Gibson. Switchcraft switches are really nice. Anybody try Gibson Burstbuckers? I'm thinking about those but I've never heard them.

Pretty much a hot rodded '57.

More mids, top end.
Not worth the dough, and the output's a little high to be amazing clean liek vintage Pups can do.

I'd suggest a 57/57 plus pair if you're gonna go gibson for pups, but IMO, it's not worth the cash by and large.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Pretty much a hot rodded '57.

More mids, top end.
Not worth the dough, and the output's a little high to be amazing clean liek vintage Pups can do.

I'd suggest a 57/57 plus pair if you're gonna go gibson for pups, but IMO, it's not worth the cash by and large.

what is a better option for the pup pair
Quote by kai29
what is a better option for the pup pair

Well I know you said alternative music was your thing, but what really do you need from your pickups, exactly?

Quote by cobain_is_king
good cleans like crystal clear and can provide good overdrive. Enough for alternative music
Quote by kai29
good cleans like crystal clear and can provide good overdrive. Enough for alternative music

Vintage 59 neck
Rockfield fat ass bridge
Or
vintage 59 neck
GFS mean 90 bridge
or
GFS mean 90 neck
Rockfield fat ass bridge

These all have a great tonal variety and would definitely give you what you want.

Quote by cobain_is_king