Is our own humanity - that is, our instincts, emotions, desires, etc - something to be triumphed over, or something to be embraced?

Should our minds be the master of what we do, or should we embrace seemingly fleeting emotions and follow them?
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Beats being a dog and barking at your own poop. Of course, that can be the case with some of the people here, so I don't know.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
Is our own humanity - that is, our instincts, emotions, desires, etc - something to be triumphed over, or something to be embraced?

Should our minds be the master of what we do, or should we embrace seemingly fleeting emotions and follow them?

Depends on circumstance, but I usually go for self gratification now after being screwed over for helping people too much
+1 to Equilibrium

Also, I say we should embrace our humanity yet remain aware of it. Why should we be doing something simply because its "instinct?"
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by ttreat31
Beats being a dog and barking at your own poop. Of course, that can be the case with some of the people here, so I don't know.

Yeah. Sometimes I read some posts here and think "that guy must yell at his own poop."
TS reminded me of Kyle from South Park during one of his You-know-what-I-learned-something-today-moments
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I watched about 5 minutes of Equilibrium just now.

Honestly, not my forte.

Besides, I think lack of the ability to feel is what causes men to fight. Pure logic dictates that you do whatever it takes to achieve what you want.

I repress all emotions the best I can. It's only logical, but I'm so ****ing empty.

And this has become a bitchfest of me whining. I digress.
And I mean that in the best possible way.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Depends on circumstance, but I usually go for self gratification now after being screwed over for helping people too much

This man has the right idea
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.
A nice little pond. It was clean. It was neat.
The water was warm. There was plenty to eat.
The turtles had everything turtles might need.
And they were all happy. Quite happy indeed.
Quote by catchy phrase
Equilibrium is like 1984 with all the elegance of a crowbar.

I like to think 1984 + The Matrix, but that scene when he shoots up the room in the dark is so cool.
Quote by snipelfritz
I like to think 1984 + The Matrix, but that scene when he shoots up the room in the dark is so cool.

His expression was meant as a negative contrast upon the movie, "with the elegance of a crowbar" meaning inelegant, meaning not nearly as good as 1984. And I noticed that too, I read the wikipedia plot page on Equilibrium and I thought "wow 1984 was made into a movie?" Also has parallels with Fahrenheit 451, with the burning thing.
Quote by st.stephen
His expression was meant as a negative contrast upon the movie, "with the elegance of a crowbar" meaning inelegant, meaning not nearly as good as 1984. And I noticed that too, I read the wikipedia plot page on Equilibrium and I thought "wow 1984 was made into a movie?" Also has parallels with Fahrenheit 451, with the burning thing.

I know what he meant, and I agree. My point is that its a total rip off of 1984 and The Matrix. It even looks like they got hand-me-downs from The Matrix's costume department. I'd say it has its well done moments though. Christian Bale > Keanu Reeves
Quote by snipelfritz

Also, I say we should embrace our humanity yet remain aware of it. Why should we be doing something simply because its "instinct?"

But doesn't that beg the question "If it's instinct, doesn't it make sense to do it?" What does staying above the influence of instincts prove in the end?

By the way, I'm just posing the question, I haven't decided how I feel about this yet.