Yeah so my parents (well my mom at least, dad don't know jack yet) promised me a new amp when I'm ready. So since I plan on getting an ESP MH-1000 in the future I figured I would need a nice amp to go with that. Perfect opportunity.

Asked in another thread what amp I should ever get given the opportunity and most suggested a nice tube amp (namely a Peavey Valveking). Right now it's likely I'll get either the Peavey Valveking 112 or Peavey Valveking 212

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc

Links to both right there.

Due to a lot of reccomendations I'm battling it out between these two. My parents are more willing to get me the 112 of course because it's cheaper but I think I could definetely push for the 212.

Other than that if you guys have any other ideas than my price range is about from 300-500$. 600 tops because my persuasive skills are only so good lol.

But yeah is the 212 that much better than the 112 that I should pull out the extra smackaroos on it?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
well its not that the 212 is so much better it just has another speaker, plus it depends on if your gonna gig with it at a bigger venue or just practice with it. I have the 112 at ive gigged with it at smaller places at it worked just fine so if i were u i would just get the 112 and save some money
What kind of music are you playing? Metal? If so, the 112 would suffice and let's face, 100 watts is never gonna be used to its full potential (and rarely 50 watts will). Have you looked at some used Bugeras?

Edit: Oh, and if metal, but also versatility, used B-52's.
As for taste: metalcore, metal, a little bit of hard rock thrown in.

Artists like A7x, B4MV, Ozzy, Metallica, In Flames, Buckethead, MAB, ect.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Iceman 420
What kind of music are you playing? Metal? If so, the 112 would suffice and let's face, 100 watts is never gonna be used to its full potential (and rarely 50 watts will). Have you looked at some used Bugeras?

Edit: Oh, and if metal, but also versatility, used B-52's.

the 112 got some iffy reviews over at musician's friend.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
bump?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
You trust reviews at Musician's Friend? You have much to learn.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
You trust reviews at Musician's Friend? You have much to learn.

lol

So in all honesty not big differences between the 112 and 212 other than the 50 watt difference?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
212 has two speakers. I think that's the only other difference.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
I'd say go with the 2x12, because it's got a speaker cab out, so you COULD stack it on a 4x12 cab for bigger gigs, too.
The 112 is kind of stripped down in general, and if your folks are so concerned with cost, look for a used 212.
Plus, you could put that cash toward greenbacks or some other variety of extravagant speakers later.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
I'd say go with the 2x12, because it's got a speaker cab out, so you COULD stack it on a 4x12 cab for bigger gigs, too.
The 112 is kind of stripped down in general, and if your folks are so concerned with cost, look for a used 212.
Plus, you could put that cash toward greenbacks or some other variety of extravagant speakers later.

You will NEVER need a bigger spealer for gigs. There are no gigs that will ever need the valveking 212 maxed out on volume. Even the Valvking 112 is WAAAAAYYYY to loud at max volume for most gigs and very rarely will you even crank past 7 for gigs usually less. (Unless you need cleans then the Valveking is not the amp you should be looking at.)
Quote by Crabs111
You will NEVER need a bigger spealer for gigs. There are no gigs that will ever need the valveking 212 maxed out on volume. Even the Valvking 112 is WAAAAAYYYY to loud at max volume for most gigs and very rarely will you even crank past 7 for gigs usually less. (Unless you need cleans then the Valveking is not the amp you should be looking at.)

Have you ever payed a big outdoor gig?

You need a 2x12 at 8 for the bare minimum, IMO.

No, I don't use the PA.

Heck, half the time there IS no PA, save for vocal monitors and loudspeakers.

Nothing for drums, bass or guitar to suitably hook into.

Our drummer goes through a pair of 2x15 kustom speakers and a 2 10" monitors for his drumset. Why you need monitors for a drumset? I have no clue. But he does.

Anyway, there are situations that normal guitarists get into in which a 2x12 is necessary.

A marshall stack?
Most guitarists who gig actively, even have tours, will never need that volume level.

But a 2x12 isn't as loud as you think once you put a whole band in the mix.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Crabs111

Really My top 3 favorite bands are A7x, B4MV, and Children of Bodom. Of course throwing in classics like Ozzy, Zeppelin, and shredders like Buckethead and MAB.

But I guess my favorite genre is metal and metalcore.

Idk I've laid down the price range and the taste. I'm just kind of clueless now as to what amp i should get. I thought the Valveking series was pretty good. Guess not.

I mean it couldn't hurt to have as versatile of an amp as possible I guess lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Get whatever sounds good to you. If you don't like the Valveking, see if you can find a used Bugera. Unmatched bang for your buck. A new 6262 combo costs $650 so you should be able to get a used one.
Quote by mrvile

So I shouldn't get either of them?

Quote by ESPplayer5150
save more for a 5150

For now I have to stick to my price range. Because I'm not saving. My parents are treating lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Really My top 3 favorite bands are A7x, B4MV, and Children of Bodom. Of course throwing in classics like Ozzy, Zeppelin, and shredders like Buckethead and MAB.

But I guess my favorite genre is metal and metalcore.

Idk I've laid down the price range and the taste. I'm just kind of clueless now as to what amp i should get. I thought the Valveking series was pretty good. Guess not.

I mean it couldn't hurt to have as versatile of an amp as possible I guess lol.

Don't listen to everyone on here, the VK is a great amp, you should get the 112, and use the other money to get either a distortion or an OD pedal, and save the rest for a speaker. Another great amp to checkout is: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

The bottom line is that you shouldn't listen to everyone on here and you should try out the amps for yourself and decide which you like the best.
Last edited by G-man05 at Jun 23, 2008,
b-52 would suit your music much better, just try them both and get what you like
Quote by G-man05
Don't listen to everyone on here, the VK is a great amp, you should get the 112, and use the other money to get either a distortion or an OD pedal, and save the rest for a speaker. Another great amp to checkout is: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

The bottom line is that you shouldn't listen to everyone on here and you should try out the amps for yourself and decide which you like the best.

Very true but when I tried to pick out my first guitar I ended up with the one I have now. So I'd rather take advice from people with more experience and knowledge than myself lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by G-man05

Listen to this man.
As said countless times, buy 112, get OD if you want more/warmer dist, replace the crappy speaker, and get a new speaker, preferably a vintage 30, and if you want you can swap the tubes.
Quote by Rocker_94
112. Odds are, you don't need 100W.

I'm assuming the watts are the only difference?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by metalhead_365
go for 112. 50 watts is loud enough for most gigs. clean channels very good, and the lead channel is nice for the price. the advantage of the 112 is size, its nice n small.

112 it is
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
my Valveking 112 does fine for me. i suppose the 212 works the same except it has a couple of extra knobs in the back i believe. your call.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Quote by metallicafan180
my Valveking 112 does fine for me. i suppose the 212 works the same except it has a couple of extra knobs in the back i believe. your call.

Like knobs for effects? (combo amp am I right?)
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
knobs are about the same. no extra effects in either. both are combos. you don't need a 212. It is 50 watts higher, 20lbs heavier, $100 more expensive and about 3 decibles louder.

put your $100 savings into a new speaker or an Overdrive pedal to clean up the muddiness of the stock speaker.

Also, there is a The Only Valveking thread over in Guitar Gear and Accessories Forum as well as the fact that this amp is discussed daily if not hourly in general over there anyway.

hope that helps and yes there are other amps to look at as mentioned, especially if you go used.
good luck
The people at musicians friend praised Marshall MG's.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks