Hey, i am a beginner guitarist and people have said that green day are pretty good to start with and seeing as i love green day i thought i would. I decided to learn holiday as it is one of my favourites, i am stuck and have a couple of questions.

To get the holiday sound, would a distortion / overdrive pedal do the job ? i have a pretty cheap amp and its 10 watt with only 3 settings lol.

Can you please explain how i could play this tab ? I know i am supposed to mute the strings with the X but how do i mute them ? Link To Tab
Cant help you with your first question, but i can give you a few methods for muting.

one way you can do the muting in the intro would be to place your 1st finger (pointer finger) of your fretting hand on the G and D strings, but do not push the strings down. Then if i were you, I would use my 2nd finger (middle finger) on the A string, and either your 3rd or 4th finger on the B string, whichever is more comfortable.

if that doesn't feel right, you could try using your 1st finger on the A string, and use the rest of that finger and rest it on the 1st-4th strings, without holding down the strings. Then using your 2nd or 3rd finger on the B string.

I'd suggest the first method though

EDIT: after reading my post, I would probably try muting the strings with your 2nd finger instead of your 1st, and use your 1st for your B string. But just try whichever is comfortable.
Last edited by Jeremy Clark at Jun 23, 2008,
Basically, you don't fully fret them, you just kind of rest your fret-hand's fingers on them as you strum. So, instead of fully pressing the string to the fretboard, just kind of apply just enough pressure so that the strings won't make harmonics, but rather that "deadened" or muted song you hear on the recording. It will take a little playing around to get the sound you're trying to achieve, but it will come naturally after some practice.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
Quote by Jeremy Clark
Cant help you with your first question, but i can give you a few methods for muting.

one way you can do the muting in the intro would be to place your 1st finger (pointer finger) of your fretting hand on the G and D strings, but do not push the strings down. Then if i were you, I would use my 2nd finger (middle finger) on the A string, and either your 3rd or 4th finger on the B string, whichever is more comfortable.

if that doesn't feel right, you could try using your 1st finger on the A string, and use the rest of that finger and rest it on the 1st-4th strings, without holding down the strings. Then using your 2nd or 3rd finger on the B string.

I'd suggest the first method though

EDIT: after reading my post, I would probably try muting the strings with your 2nd finger instead of your 1st, and use your 1st for your B string. But just try whichever is comfortable.

Thanks everyone, that ones more comfortable for me
It'll probably save your hand cramping if you use your pinky for the B string and index for the A string. For Holiday I keep my index finger really low and that mutes the strings. It's not 100% clean, but for Green Day, I don't think it's supposed to be.
Jesus H! Green Day blows. you must be from the UK or something.

get in the habit of muting with the left hand, using all fingers. Wrap that thumb and mute/fret. Mute with the right hand fingers and palm also
Green Day aren't the easisest thing so start with by a long way, their rhythms are quite fast and you're moving around the neck playing palm muted chords.

Start with something easier, get some open chords under your belt first then find some songs that use them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com