I'm trying to write my own songs, and I've figured out that the best way to do this is to match the guitar chords to the vocals. How is the best way to do this? At first I thought it was just finding the note that matched the part of the vocal, but then how do some artists come up with sus's and 9ths to match?

And as you can tell, I'm not advanced on theory.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul (Custom Alpine White)
Austin Sessionmaster
Martin D-15 Acoustic
Fender Jaguar (Reissue)
Antique 1968 Fender Precision Bass

Amps:
Crate Acoustic 15w
Hartke 25w
At first it'll be a lot of experimentation, a lot of hitting the "wrong" chord. For the most part though, the vocal melody is based around chord tones.
So you do the chord composition and base the vocals on that, not the other way around?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul (Custom Alpine White)
Austin Sessionmaster
Martin D-15 Acoustic
Fender Jaguar (Reissue)
Antique 1968 Fender Precision Bass

Amps:
Crate Acoustic 15w
Hartke 25w
Quote by Free Time
There's a technique called chord melody playing you might want to look into

link?
I reckon matching chords to your vocal melody can be interesting. Always remember there are no concrete rules, but lots of ways of going about things.
I dont know how much you know, and it completely depends on your style of music,
but a good place to start would be using the 1, 4 and 5 chords of the same scale your vocals are in. Once you've figured out what scale, and chords these are, you could use whichever chord that fits into,
something like this might help

www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/chord-scale.html
The vocals are a melody like any other. As long as you know what note you're singing, you can make it work over the harmony.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.