If I were to buy say.. a Cane Toad at a pet shop.. would they take out it's poison glands or anything before I got it? cause I've been seriously considering getting one or just taking a few licks at the pet store.. but I don't know if they'd have a "You Lick It You Buy It" policy
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
that sounds like a brilliant plan..
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by archangels666
Join us this week for another...

Great Moments in Natural Selection!

+1

but seriously, poisonous toads get less poisonious is cativity. they get a lot of there poison form spiders and other poisinious things they eat in the wild, so its gonna be a lot less toxic.....so go catch one...
you know you can die from licking one of those right? I don't think getting high for an hour is worth the risk of death
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
I doubt they will. I have a toad that releases knockout juice through its pores when it gets stressed. If I were to touch the toad, forget to wash my hands, and then touch my lips for whatever reason, I'd be knocked out for six to eight hours.
I sound like a dumbass.. I should have explained that I'm doing this to prove my friend wrong cause he thinks that licking a Cane Toad will give you a sensation similar to acid and I'm saying it's not going to do anything..
Quote by Shredxmyheart
I sound like a dumbass.. I should have explained that I'm doing this to prove my friend wrong cause he thinks that licking a Cane Toad will give you a sensation similar to acid and I'm saying it's not going to do anything..

Well, won't licking a glandless toad defeat the purpose of the argument? If you don't have the balls to do it, you might as well take his word for it and throw in the towel.
Quote by thespian948
+1

but seriously, poisonous toads get less poisonious is cativity. they get a lot of there poison form spiders and other poisinious things they eat in the wild, so its gonna be a lot less toxic.....so go catch one...

I'm not sure if that's the case with cane toads. I know it is with poison arrow frogs, but they secrete a completely different toxin.
Quote by madbasslover
Well, won't licking a glandless toad defeat the purpose of the argument? If you don't have the balls to do it, you might as well take his word for it and throw in the towel.

no I'm looking for a toad that has poison glands.. which is why I asked so I don't waste my time going to a pet shop if they don't have them
Quote by Shredxmyheart

OK. Go ahead and ingest bufotenin. Which is a hallucinogen. However, it only secretes small amounts of this. And a f*ckload of other toxins. So you may not get an acid trip, but you may be dead instead. And if you die, even though your friend was wrong, you lose.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
OK. Go ahead and ingest bufotenin. Which is a hallucinogen. However, it only secretes small amounts of this. And a f*ckload of other toxins. So you may not get an acid trip, but you may be dead instead. And if you die, even though your friend was wrong, you lose.

good point.. I'll make him lick it
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Delirium has a very strong talent for mind-raping people

bravo

WrstEDIT: To stay on topic: I agree with you, TS. Make him lick it if he's so damn sure
Last edited by Wrst_Plyr_Evr at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

truth. virtually every venom is produced in a cocktail. You probably will be screwed up. And since it has glands, the bufotenin and w/e else is in there is produced by the toad. taking it out of the wild will have a very limited effect.

and if you remove the gland, you remove the hallu.

so your choice is either fail or fail.

enjoy
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by Shredxmyheart
good point.. I'll make him lick it

thats win-win

you could just research the cane toad.....maybe youll find something to solve this quandary without the expense of buying a toad or potentially getting salmonella from licking the toad
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
As it is glands, I assume that it'll be a protein based cocktail, which is made by pathways setup by, I'm assuming, operons using a negative feedback system (ait can only hold so much venom). These proteins do come from the diet, but guess what? Everything that lives contains these proteins/amino acids. And it's possible for the toad to synthesise some amino acids from others. Yay fun.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As it is glands, I assume that it'll be a protein based cocktail, which is made by pathways setup by, I'm assuming, operons using a negative feedback system (ait can only hold so much venom). These proteins do come from the diet, but guess what? Everything that lives contains these proteins/amino acids. And it's possible for the toad to synthesise some amino acids from others. Yay fun.

I've never felt dumber in my entire life after reading this
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not sure if that's the case with cane toads. I know it is with poison arrow frogs, but they secrete a completely different toxin.

oh. i just thought it was kind of a universal thing with poisninous frogs/toads etc. could be, but i dont care nearly enough to research it. so ill just tkae your word for it
poison dart frogs sequester their toxins from the environment, probably bacteria and plants.

Random lesson from my toxins class: Never, EVER eat the liver. or the gonads
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
And today's Darwin Award goes to...

I even wrote you a haiku-

Retard wants a toad
Thinks he's getting high, but
Darwin saves the day
Quote by InvaderRen
poison dart frogs sequester their toxins from the environment, probably bacteria and plants.

Well, it's an insectivore, but the insects it eats get the poison from plants. But that's only a theory. Heavily backed up by the fact that those in capitivity don't produce batrachotoxin.
Quote by Aidy Damage
And today's Darwin Award goes to...

I even wrote you a haiku-

Retard wants a toad
Thinks he's getting high, but
Darwin saves the day

you're a moron
Quote by InvaderRen

WHEW!!! thanks for telling me. i was just about to eat my fried dart frog!!!
Quote by Shredxmyheart
you're a moron

I'm just about to study Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge university. I think that out of the two of us, you're the moron.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm just about to study Social and Political Sciences at Cambridge university. I think that out of the two of us, you're the moron.

George W Bush is the president one of the most powerful countries in the world. you studying anything makes no difference to your moronic status
Quote by Shredxmyheart
George W Bush is the president one of the most powerful countries in the world. you studying anything makes no difference to your moronic status

....i dont get it...what doees the president have to do with him being a moron...

also delirium....i have NO idea what pretencious means...so..im just gonna say owned for right now...

edit: just found uut what it mean...and i change my earlier comment from owned...to PWNED!!!
Quote by thespian948
....i dont get it...what doees the president have to do with him being a moron...

also delirium....i have NO idea what pretencious means...so..im just gonna say owned for right now...

edit: just found uut what it mean...and i change my earlier comment from owned...to PWNED!!!

he's trying to say he's not a moron because he's studying political science at some university. but Bush is the president and he's the biggest moron I can think of
Quote by Shredxmyheart
he's trying to say he's not a moron because he's studying political science at some university. but Bush is the president and he's the biggest moron I can think of

ohhhhh. ur a sneaky little devil you.
Quote by Shredxmyheart

Cambridge = UK's equivalent of Harvard.

Sure, I'm a pretentious twat.
there's no such thing as a poisonous pet, venemous yes, but not poisonous, I have quite a few myself, spiders and centipedes (want venemous snakes when I get the license) and poison arrow frogs lose their toxicity in captivity

and it's npt an issue, you're not meant to handle amphibians anyway, their skin absorbs chemicals rather easily, plus, the yemperature of our hands can literally lead to burns, if you don't lick your hands or the toad, and wash your hands properly you're gonna be fine
Quote by Aidy Damage

lawl, pretentious ass. do understand that many of us here go to schools that go toe-to-toe with cambridge, so take your irrelevance elsewhere

with love
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by InvaderRen
lawl, pretentious ass. do understand that many of us here go to schools that go toe-to-toe with cambridge, so take your irrelevance elsewhere

with love

Not trying to be offensive to Aidy... but what's the point in Political and Social Sciences? Doing a biology based course gives me a focussed view of can be done with it, but for PS science, I have no idea.
Quote by thespian948
WHEW!!! thanks for telling me. i was just about to eat my fried dart frog!!!

the liver rule goes for everything. Everything. Seals, puffer fish, you name it

Quote by deliriumbassist
Not trying to be offensive to Aidy... but what's the point in Political and Social Sciences? Doing a biology based course gives me a focussed view of can be done with it, but for PS science, I have no idea.

Poli Sci is generally seen as the 'fallback major' where i go, unless you go on to grad studies, of course
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING