you've heard it in "Dream On", "Welcome to the Jungle" and other such well-known tracks.

how do you get there? I've been experimenting with my vocal chords and I'm getting somewhat close to it by adding just a touch of falsetto. does it improve with practice? anyone who can do this?
Well, how I found the range of my voice by going to concerts or sports events or something and just howl all you want. It should give you a pretty good idea of what your capable of.
Quote by deadeyedick
Well, how I found the range of my voice by going to concerts or sports events or something and just howl all you want. It should give you a pretty good idea of what your capable of.

IDK, but it's at the daggers edge of cracking....I can add a little bit of falsetto, but then it cracks, and then goes to falsetto. in this case it's more about finding the proper range where it's possible to get the kind of growly howl, because regular falsetto won't do it, which is mostly your average screaming full tilt. I'm assuming hitting the perfect pitch/whatever gets easier to do with time/enables the growly howl.

lol, being at a sporting match with my mates and my voice cracking ;p