im planning on making myself a mockingbird, but the only tools that im aware that i have acces too is a bandsaw, a router, a hand drill, and a chop saw, and i can get my hands on files and such. for when i have to drill the holes i was wondering if there are any kind of mount kind of things i could make to drill perfectly straight holes. i will eventually have a build up on here, but dont get your hopes up anytime soon (i still owe GC 1000 bux)

also, the template im ordering is made for a stop tale. so how would i measure for a floyd rose? (any reccomendations?) and anyone know where i can find a big old piece of maple for a neck through? (looked through the stickys but cant find a piece of maple)
for straight holes i'd say a drill press, if not u hand drill should have a level of somekind on the back. when u do the body use a flush bit router with a bearing on the bottom to run on the template.
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
from that angle you look like my girfriend.
Quote by thespian948
im planning on making myself a mockingbird, but the only tools that im aware that i have acces too is a bandsaw, a router, a hand drill, and a chop saw, and i can get my hands on files and such. for when i have to drill the holes i was wondering if there are any kind of mount kind of things i could make to drill perfectly straight holes. i will eventually have a build up on here, but dont get your hopes up anytime soon (i still owe GC 1000 bux)

also, the template im ordering is made for a stop tale. so how would i measure for a floyd rose? (any reccomendations?) and anyone know where i can find a big old piece of maple for a neck through? (looked through the stickys but cant find a piece of maple)

Well for tools you look pretty set, anything else you need will probably be easy to get and not to expensive. In my thread, I was suggested to get a drill press (a hand drill will probably do, just so long as you have a very steady hand I guess), a jointer and a band saw as the bare minimum. Also what would be handy are clamps, wrenches, files, a soldering iron and solder, screw drivers and a rubber mallet. Also, wire cutters, channel locks, pliers and chisels are useful.

For measuring a Floyd Rose, just look up the dimensions and measurements for it and modify the template you are ordering. As for maple, just shop around and you'll find somewhere that sells maple that size. Also, this is a premade through-body guitar neck made by stewmac, it's pricy but you can go for it if you can't find the wood you're looking for or just want to skip a large and difficult part of the project.
Quote by kenan6346
Well for tools you look pretty set, anything else you need will probably be easy to get and not to expensive. In my thread, I was suggested to get a drill press (a hand drill will probably do, just so long as you have a very steady hand I guess), a jointer and a band saw as the bare minimum. Also what would be handy are clamps, wrenches, files, a soldering iron and solder, screw drivers and a rubber mallet. Also, wire cutters, channel locks, pliers and chisels are useful.

For measuring a Floyd Rose, just look up the dimensions and measurements for it and modify the template you are ordering. As for maple, just shop around and you'll find somewhere that sells maple that size. Also, this is a premade through-body guitar neck made by stewmac, it's pricy but you can go for it if you can't find the wood you're looking for or just want to skip a large and difficult part of the project.

im pretty much set on screwdrivers, channel locks, i really need to get a new soldering iron though. chisels ill have to look for though. clamps,on the other hand, is a completely different story. how many is reccomended? id imagine that 5-6 would do? glueing on the top would only require 5-6 im thinking and i can glue everying down at different times so that seems like enough.
Last edited by thespian948 at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by thespian948
im pretty much set on screwdrivers, channel locks, i really need to get a new soldering iron though. chisels ill have to look for though. clamps,on the other hand, is a completely different story. how many is reccomended? id imagine that 5-6 would do? glueing on the top would only require 5-6 im thinking and i can glue everying down at different times so that seems like enough.

I haven't started building my guitar yet, but in other threads I've seen up to like 13 clamps on the neck but yea I'm guessing that 5 or 6 clamps would be sufficient, I reckon go ahead and be safe and get maybe a few more but depending on your tools budget, you can go for either. I got a cheapo soldering iron for like AU$10 a little while ago so you'll be fine for that.
I wish I had that many tools... if I'm lucky I (may) have access to a router.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
ill probably buy like 9-10 clamps. once i get some cash ill finally start working on this.
you could go for the lazy route and order a Warmoth body (www.warmoth.com). they drill, route, whatever you need.they can routhe the control holes however you want it.
Quote by Jhachey22
you could go for the lazy route and order a Warmoth body (www.warmoth.com). they drill, route, whatever you need.they can routhe the control holes however you want it.

nope. ill pass