I'm stuck between two great fuzz/distortions: the Big Muff and the RAT. I play standard rock, and my budget is below 110 per pedal. Now, I've been able to find both for about $80, so I'm wondering, which sounds better? My friend has a Big Muff and I love that ripping sound to it, and thats what I want, but I've been told the Rat is better. Opinions?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul (Custom Alpine White)
Austin Sessionmaster
Martin D-15 Acoustic
Fender Jaguar (Reissue)
Antique 1968 Fender Precision Bass

Amps:
Crate Acoustic 15w
Hartke 25w
Last edited by Yahtzee at Jun 23, 2008,
been said already but yeah. the muff is a fuzz, the rat a distortion. but i suggest an Ibanez DE-7 because its better than those two combined
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Modern RATs are no good. If you can find a vintage 80s RAT, go for it. Otherwise, get the Muff. It's not expensive anyway.
if you want fuzz look in my sig you want OD look at the.spine.surfs 808 clones if you want distortion get a DS-1 or something

and to the guy above me +1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
The Muffs aren't too great in comparison to the vintage, either.

Basically, the Rat is a more versatile pedal than the Muff. Can do pretty much anything, to a certain extent, even Big Muff tones (or approximations of such). That said, I hear the build quality of the recent ones aren't too great.

The Big Muff is, well, a Big Muff. If that's the tone you want, then by all means go for it. It's not as versatile as a Rat, though.

In either case, I'd recommend some sort of boost or overdrive pedal to use in conjunction with whatever one you get. just to give it that little extra "oomph".

I'd recommend going with one of these, no matter which one you get. Improved versions of both, in smaller enclosures (you can order them pre-built, so don't worry about that):

http://buildyourownclone.com/beaver.html
http://buildyourownclone.com/mouse.html
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I have both and the RAT is the more used. It has more variety. I still like the Muff on occasion tho. Muff is an all or nothing kinda deal.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Big Muff is a Fuzz pedal.....

kids these days.

I get tired of this statement. Yes, I'm fully aware that the Big Muff is a fuzz, but you can't blame people for being confused. Electro-harmonix lists it under 'Distortion' on their own website.

Bottom, it's a fuzz, but you're not stupid to think it's a distortion.

/rant
Quote by fly135
Apples vs oranges... which one's better.

That's hard...apples are easier to eat, but oranges taste better--but they're sticky. Hmm...

Anyways, they are very different beasts. I would venture to say that the Rat is a tad more versatile and might be more suited to you, but it's hard to say because "standard rock" is pretty broad.
damn you people yelling at him for mistaking the big muff as a distortion as opposed to a fuzz. Its actually like a combination between the two.

they are very very different. the big muff is a lot harsher with a lot more bass response (you almost get a sub-octave), whereas the rat seems to have more midrange frequencies.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 23, 2008,
Big Muff all the way. I think it sounds less harsh than the RAT.

Mudhoney uses Big Muff, so buy it...lol
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
I spent a couple more bucks but ended up with a green russian Big Muff Pi....ME REALLY LIKE! Sorry I can't really critique the rat...but, have heard good things.