I'm looking for a good distortion pedal that will provide more of a chunk as opposed to a crunch. Something more like John Petrucci, if possible.

The pedals I've tried were the DS-1, which I found shrill and kinda bland, and definetely did not provide enough distortion at the non-fuzz non-insane sound levels.

I also tried the Turbo distortion, this was just a more exagerated version of the DS-1. Sounded like crap.

I tried an MD-2, I rather liked this one. It seemed to have a good chunky feel to it, though it was loud in the store and the amp room was busy so I couldn't give it a good try.

What other pedals should I try?

My price range is >200 $ preferably, though I i wanna try and keep it under 100 $. I'm looking for something semi-permanent, so that my distortion channel on my future amp can be my lead channel or rythym channel, and the pedal can be the other one.

I'm looking for a metal distortion type pedal.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
A lot of boutique OD units will give you that chunky sort of tone. Look into the Seymour Duncan Lava Box, the MI Audio Tube Zone OD, the T-Rex Bloody Mary, the Subdecay Blackstar, and possibly the ZVex Box of Rock, or Box of Metal.

If you Youtube "proguitarshopdemos" you'll find a user that posts extremely high-quality and in-depth demos of hundreds of different pedals. It's an excellent place to hear the different tones that are available.
Maybe something not made by Boss.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
lol, all that store has is boss =/

I also have a solid state right now, so no overdrives, really.
Blackstar HT-5

I cant stress how often people dont realize you can get any THICK sound with just a simple compressor.........anyways...im lovin the Metal Muff....mmhmm, run it through a compressor....
[quote="'Townson[BTE"]44']BOSS metal zone mt-2. badassness.

Tried my friend's. No. That is all I have to say about the MT-2.
Blackstar HT-5

but of course im not trying to sound like john petrucci either. it was just a suggestion.

<---- metal.
Nah I don't really wanna sound like him per se, but I like his distortion more than that loose style crunch one more. I think I might just get a compressor...and as for the Seymour Duncan, not really cutting it from the demos I hear. Same with the other ones you mentioned to be honest. I think I'm gonna check out a metal muff and look at a digitech grunge if the other guitar store near me has em.

Thanks though, keep the suggestions coming.
Blackstar HT-5

Don't get anything wit digitech written on it, they just suck tone. I've heard fairly good things about the metal muff though.

And I totally agree with you about the distorted tone your looking for. I hate crunchy lead sounds. For me, It's gotta be fluid and almost liquidy in sound, something which guys like John Petrucci and Andy Timmons just have.
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Jun 23, 2008,
Yes!!

I really wanna try a metal muff now, cause I keep hearing goodness. Though I heard goodness about the DS-1...Hope the store has a Mesa V Twin pedal in stock, I hear good things about that one too.
Blackstar HT-5