Despite my UG name I have only been playing guitar for about 1 year (almost exactly) and have been basically self taught, with assistance from my cousin and UG lessons. Although I like saying im self taught im not sure if I have gotten all I could have out of my year. I can play bits and pieces of songs and I am pretty decent with rythm guitar as well as basic music theory. What I am having trouble with is mostly soloing. I can play a decent amout of Dont Fear the Reaper's solo but that is pretty much it. I have also been trying to create my own riffs and solos but they all sound lame. What I am contemplating is whether or not I should start taking lessons or if I should just keep practicing on my own until I learn to play solos. I would appreciate suggestions on wether or not I should get lessons.
eh
i have lessons and im alright
and i have friends who are self and gods, do what you feel will help
Quote by ttreat31
Get lessons if you can afford them. Seriously. They will help you.

Yep. The earlier you can start getting lessons, the better...
I say go for lessons if you can. Some of the things I've learnt at lessons have helped me SO much.
Not really, I think you should take lessons if you feel you can Learn well of others easily, But if you cant Self taughts the way to go.
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Get some lessons from someone who is experienced, and not just some random guy who can play good.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
first ask yourself... "why do i play guitar?" if the answer is... "i don't know," get lessons.
If you want to shine like the sun first you must burn like it.
lessons = win

I didn't get lessons, I'm excellent, but once again I'm the exception that proves the rule

e-cookie to whoever gets the reference

In all seriousness, I'd be 100x the player I am now if I had lessons
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
GuitarGod_92 isn't a guitar god? your username is so misleading!
teach yourself scales, or get a teacher to. learn the basic pentatonic ones first, then experiment with them over some simple backing tracks. it helped me lots.
If you want to get lessons, get them, but don't get lessons if you really don't want to.
I was in the same situation as you, I was completely self taught, but with persistance I am moving on, I can now do my own solo's, use all different picking techniques, learn new songs fairly quickly and play a fair bit of stuff, so if you don't wish to have lessons, persistance is the way to go. Just do whatever feels right.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I have two teachers. Both of them have made me excel far beyond whatever I would be now without them.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Rokeman
teach yourself scales, or get a teacher to. learn the basic pentatonic ones first, then experiment with them over some simple backing tracks. it helped me lots.

Dude, your avatar looks like he is maturbating a guitar.
Heres what I did:

I took lessons for a little bit; learned the basics. How to read music and tabs, play chords, play notes, timing, etc. After that, I just taught myself. Teachers really do help; I would reccomend getting one for atleast a short period of time to learn the basics and then after that when you want to learn something new just think "if I had a teacher, what would the teacher do?" and do that.

You can find free lessons on YouTube or the internet if you need help.
Last edited by aaronob at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by 100%guitarmad
Dude, your avatar looks like he is maturbating a guitar.

i'd never thought of it that way before..... also i randomly found that pic on my computer...

looks like i need a new one now!
By the way I did take lessons a few yrs ago for a few months but never really spent time learning guitar like I am doing now. However I do remember most of the stuff I learned back then.
Lessons can't hurt. I took lessons for quite a while from the only convenient teacher, and it helped me tremendously. At least try it out for a few weeks. Then, if you don't feel like your teacher is helping you, there's no shame in moving on.
I'm 100% self taught. That been said, I know people who have been playing for as long as I have (2 years) and can play alot better than me because they take lessons.
I'd get lessons, I think the worst problem with this is that I worry I piss off my teacher. So I'll often say "yeah I get it" when I don't. Just remember that a teacher teaches to teach, they're ready for some frustration.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Teacher's are good for starting out, so you can build up from proper technique.

There are plenty of extremely skilled self-taught musicians like Gene Hoglan (awesome drummer) and Steve Harris (bass god)
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
I'm 100% self taught. That been said, I know people who have been playing for as long as I have (2 years) and can play alot better than me because they take lessons.

and that is why they call you rhythm guitar
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah