Hey, I'm looking to buy a nice new tube amp. I'd like a head plus a 2x12 cab or else just a 2x12 combo. My budget is $2200 at the most. Right now I'm looking at an Orange Rockerverb head with an Orange 2x12 cab, but I'd appreciate suggestions for other high end amps. I really like that Rockerverb but I'm curious if maybe there's something out there that I'd like better. I play modern rock, classic rock, indie and a bit of metal. My main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio from like the '90s with a Mexi Tele and Strat on the side.
Any suggestions would be nice, and thanks in advance.

Plus an amp that has a foot switch available and a volume boost function on it would be nice, as I don't have a volume pedal or anything.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
Where do you live(for Currency reasons)
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Ok so Maybe A mesa Boogie?
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Which models of those do you think would fit my type of music?

Man, with that budget, and living in America, you got a wide range, look at Laneys, Mesa's or Marshalls imo, they have some pretty good stuff for your budget.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Which genre of music is most important to you?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
A mesa Roadking? Also, for that general price range, I would look at a Soldano Avenger.
That too
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Quote by darkarbiter7
Which genre of music is most important to you?

I'd say probably classic and modern rock. Which I think can usually be covered pretty well by the same amp, no?

And I don't know about a Soldano Avenger. There's only one channel and I need to switch between clean and dirty a lot.

Last edited by maybe_I_am at Jun 23, 2008,
Anybody else got any suggestions?

Mark IV, F-50, JCM 800, some Traynor. But i would go for mark IV for $1000 used!!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Comparing the Roadking to Mark IV. I really disliked the Mark IV. It just sounded so artificial in comparison.

Roadking combos sell on ebay every week for less than $2400 after shipping. If this buyer from Germany is giving me any more issues I might be able to swing my roadking your way
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
the Mesa stiletto is amazing, especially with KT77

try it out man im sure youll love it

orange is great to
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
Quote by MESAexplorer
Comparing the Roadking to Mark IV. I really disliked the Mark IV. It just sounded so artificial in comparison.

Roadking combos sell on ebay every week for less than $2400 after shipping. If this buyer from Germany is giving me any more issues I might be able to swing my roadking your way

First time I've heard someone say anything about the Mark IV that wasn't singing its praises as the most godly amp to ever grace the earth Good to hear some mixed views
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
used mesa roadster combo. the roadking is very versatile, but a bit much imo
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by cmakkidguitar
First time I've heard someone say anything about the Mark IV that wasn't singing its praises as the most godly amp to ever grace the earth Good to hear some mixed views

Well, for the used price of a Mark IV, it's hard to beat. I find they sound similar to a 5150, but with a great clean channel.

In comparison to the roadking...well, there is no comparison. I really can't believe Petrucci downgraded. Well...then again, half of the recordings he was using a triple recto, and still then the triple recto was a backing track amp. Mark IV's have the ability to sound really bad. Although they have a GEQ, which gives it a lot of tonal variation, if you adjust the middle 3 sliders fairly extreme, the amp can go from sounding good to sounding like an ass.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I doubt I'm gonna be able to afford the Roadking or Duotone. I'm only going to have 2200 for both the head and cab.

You can if you buy used.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I guess I'm out of luck then because I was just looking at eBay and Craigslist and neither site had one of those for a price cheap enough for me, and my local stores don't have them either.
Actually one of the stores had a Mesa/Boogie a little bit ago but they sold it super fast.

I did find a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier. How are those?

Quote by maybe_I_am
I guess I'm out of luck then because I was just looking at eBay and Craigslist and neither site had one of those for a price cheap enough for me, and my local stores don't have them either.Actually one of the stores had a Mesa/Boogie a little bit ago but they sold it super fast.

I did find a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier. How are those?

you have to have patience. I skimmed CL for 5 months before i found a good enough deal on my amp
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by mogar
Used H&K Duotone (~$1500) plus a nice avatar 212 (~$300).

clip
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8y6X1iV5kic

DAMN IT YOU BEAT ME TO IT, ON BOTH THE HEAD AND THE CAB

heres a trilogy if your ever interested
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hughes-Kettner-Trilogy-electric-guitar-amplifier_W0QQitemZ290241122806QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

p.s. i almost bought that one 2
Mesa Road King. Always check eBay or check Harmony Central Classifieds. They always have good stuff on there.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Dude Mesa Boogie Mark IV will do anything and everything decently. They were just discontinued so either hold out for the Mark V or buy a used Mark IV
Also, check out the craigslist's of neighboring cities/states. Sometimes you can find people that either don't mind shipping their items or don't mind meeting you half-way for a deal.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Alright thanks guys. Appreciate the help.