I felt these guys deserved their own thread as they are amazing. Anyone else here know these guys yet? Thoughts?

For those that don't know them- they are a new metal band from Tasmania, Australia called- SEPARATIST.

Their style is hard to describe; essentially it's brutal death metal mixed in with sonic landscapes and a strong sense of melody very unusual for a band this extreme. Their debut album, 'The Motionless Apocalypse' is absolutely incredible and I definitely feel these guys are going to go far.

There are a few tracks on their myspace here:

http://www.myspace.com/separatist

The album is actually even more diverse than these tracks. There are some clean vocals thrown in that are more reminiscent of a band like Sunk Loto and occasional 'core' influences, but all in the overall context of a death metal band. The sound is fresh and exciting... check them out, and post your thoughts!
Last edited by Tim Charles at Jun 23, 2008,
Sounds pretty brutally epic.

The recording's need some work, the vocals are a bit out of time with the music. But overall I love the music. It's brutal with rhythm.
Pretty good stuff.

^I think the vocals go fine with the music.

Overall, it's really good, but could use some work. There's something about the rhythm that seems a bit off at times. It's almost like, I'm sure of the next note they're going to hit, but they hit a different one, or leave it empty, etc. Like a hint of syncopation or something, but not quite working... It's very subtle though.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Well, you should have tried harder.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Magero
Sounds pretty brutally epic.

The recording's need some work, the vocals are a bit out of time with the music. But overall I love the music. It's brutal with rhythm.

These guys are a young band, and this is their first recording and it was self produced- so in that context I think they've done a great job with the recording. Definitely a BIG sound, sometime not always 100% clear, but it still works well enough for their style to provide a good representation of the songs in my opinion.

I'm bringing these guys to Melbourne for a show on August 16- very much looking forward to that gig. \m/
This band is total win, thank you for this thread...
Referring to the above statements, I think that the drums just seem at times slightly out of sync from the rest of the band (as you said Phill-Rock, it sounds a bit syncopated), but I think it kind of gives them a unique sound.
However, I must declare shenanigans on my living in the US, at international shipping prices suck..
I feel like a failure.
Great stuff.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by dminishedthingy
well, if NeO likes them, they must be good

Unless the rest of the band hate them.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

I really like the deep vocals. Good stuff. For some reason I really don't fancy the first song as much, but I love the second one.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by Phill-Rock
Unless the rest of the band hate them.

lol.... Well I'm the only one in the band that has heard the complete album so far, but I know Xenoyr and Dan were also really impressed with what they heard on their myspace also; I don't believe matt and Bren have got around to checking them out yet, but both will be at Ocularis Infernum comeback show in Melbourne in August in which Separatist are supporting, so should be good. \m/
^Fair enough.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Welkin Entertainment announces the addition of Tasmania’s, SEPARATIST, to their bookings roster!

Having already played shows with the likes of Skinless, I Killed the Prom Queen, Alarum and more in their home state of Tasmania, over the past couple years, SEPARATIST are now ready to take on Australia and the rest of the world!

The release of their brilliant debut album ‘The Motionless Apocalypse’ has already seen them headline Chaos Act IV in Canberra, and pick up a support slot for Dismember on July 17 in Hobart and tours to Adelaide and Melbourne on August 15/16 respectively. With Welkin Entertainment by their side expect to see more shows, in more cities; bringing this exciting new Australian metal band, SEPARATIST, to as many people as possible.

With rave reviews of their debut album, and rave reviews of their live shows, this band is heading places. Make sure you get along to see them next time they’re playing near you!

For all SEPARATIST booking enquiries, please contact:
welkin.entertainment@gmail.com

http://www.separatistonline.com
http://www.myspace.com/welkinentertainment

Other bands on Welkin Entertainments bookings roster: Ne Obliviscaris, Be'lakor, The Ocularis Infernum Aphotic Dawn
Decent tech death, I think the 'The Faceless' comparison is a pretty good one. Maybe if I listened to the full album I would get a better picture of the band then from just the myspace tracks.

Am I right in guessing the guitarist James Brady is the same guy who does vox for Corpse Carving?
Quote by Mr. President
Am I right in guessing the guitarist James Brady is the same guy who does vox for Corpse Carving?

Indeed, you are.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

I still laugh to myself at the fact that all the talented Aussie Metal bands seem to come out of Tas. But I guess it makes sense..... they don't have much else to do over there

I'll check these guys out then, support the locals and what not .
Quote by Tim Charles
Other bands on Welkin Entertainments bookings roster: Ne Obliviscaris, Be'lakor, The Ocularis Infernum, Aphotic Dawn

Wow....
That's one hell of a booking roster....
I'll give you 3 shiny dimes and a mystery box to bring those 4, +Separatist up to Brisbane for an AA show <_<.....>_>.....
Not bad at all =D i'll have to add this band to my friends. good find!
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Magero

Wow....
That's one hell of a booking roster....
I'll give you 3 shiny dimes and a mystery box to bring those 4, +Separatist up to Brisbane for an AA show <_<.....>_>.....

Nice to know you agree with my judgement on what some of the best up and coming bands in Australia are! I try to look at things from the same perspective as a label, so i'm looking for the next Psycroptic, Astriaal, Alchemist etc. as all those bands were young and just starting out at some stage so if I can help some of the new young bands grow to that status and beyond that would be awesome.

I'm not sure if Dan could pull off playing in 3 bands in the one night (NeO, Ocularis, Aphotic), but I'd think it pretty likely that we'll end up doing an all Welkin gig in Melbourne sometime featuring NeO, Be'lakor, Separatist and 1 of Ocularis or Aphotic Dawn. Although if Dan becomes an absolute machine (which he almost is! :p), then maybe he'll be able to pull off all 3 in the one night.... I know there would be a ton of Aussie fans dying to see that combination of bands. \m/
Man, you just reminded me of this thing we had a few weeks back. Toddfest. The drummer for The Berzerker, Todd, is in like....8 bands, and he's going on tour with The Berzerker now, so they organised a night where every single band had him on drums.
I wish I had've gone (it was 18+) but still.
The Berzerker, Asceticism (sp?), Headkase, and like 4 or 5 others. And he did the drumming for all of them, apparently when he left that night, he literally looked like he'd just climbed out of a pool.
Bring them to the UK when NeO supports Agalloch please.

/dream
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Quote by Magero
Man, you just reminded me of this thing we had a few weeks back. Toddfest. The drummer for The Berzerker, Todd, is in like....8 bands, and he's going on tour with The Berzerker now, so they organised a night where every single band had him on drums.
I wish I had've gone (it was 18+) but still.
The Berzerker, Asceticism (sp?), Headkase, and like 4 or 5 others. And he did the drumming for all of them, apparently when he left that night, he literally looked like he'd just climbed out of a pool.

That's just too funny, I would have loved to see that. I would have been chucking bottles of Gatorade at him, for support

How did they break that idea to him?
"Oh, Todd, um you know you have to play more than 1 set tonight?"
"Yeah, I reckon I'll be fine playing with 2 band or whatever"
"... Actually, um, it's more like ... 8.."
""
I just ordered the album. Has anyone else besides Tim heard the full thing? I don't know why I said the production could be better when I posted earlier in this thread, after repeatedly listening to the myspace songs I love it. For some reason it somewhat reminds me of a more chaotic Portal (aus).
I bump thine thread, because I just remembered about these guys, and how awesome they are.
Quote by Magero
Apparently these guys are coming up to Brissie in March.
And I STILL won't be old enough

Don't totally despair. There is a possibility of a QLD All Ages show- it's not confirmed though, but I am trying to get one happening. I'm just finishing up putting together their Oz tour at the moment, and they'll be playing shows in Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Canberra, Hobart, Launceston from late 2008 to the first few months of 2009.

Was just listening to their album again today. Fantastic stuff. One of my favourite new bands out of Australia the last couple years. :-)
Quote by Magero
Awesome!
Speaking of which, I don't suppose the elusive AA Ne Obliviscaris Brisbane show has survived the planning process?

We actually found a great AA show for the NeO QLD tour... The Set It Off festival in Toowoomba. We go asked to play that, and we were all really keen to do it, but unfortunately one of the guys had a work commitment the monday morning and there was no way to get back in time and there was no way he could get out of it... so we had to pass on the show...

Can't wait until we go full time so we don't have to worry about juggling the band with day jobs! That's the dream anyways...
Oh you have GOT to be kidding me...
I'm going up for that! To see Empyrean and The Red Shore, cause I can't see Empyrean on the Friday.
Goddamnit...
I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna have to come down and see you guys in Melbourne now.
Welkin Entertainment presents

SEPARATIST
AUSTRALIAN TOUR

After having already played shows with the likes of Skinless, Dismember, I Killed the Prom Queen, Alarum and more in their home state of Tasmania over the past couple years, the release of SEPARATIST’s brilliant debut album ‘The Motionless Apocalypse’ in 2008 has seen the band start to make significant inroads into the wider Australian metal scene.

Successful tours to Canberra (headlining CHAOS ACT IV), Adelaide and Melbourne in mid 2008 were just a taste, and are now being followed up with an Australian tour spanning from December, 2008 through to March 2009 and taking in cities and towns all across the country.

With rave reviews of their debut album and their powerful and energetic live shows alike, this is a band that is heading places.

For fans of: Skinless, The Faceless, Aborted, The Black Dahlia Murder, Despised Icon

“"Separatist have created what can only be described as a massive sound. It seriously kicks you in the face with powerful and often technical guitar riffage that will instantaneously make your body pulsate into a headbanging frenzy... Look out Death Metal, Separatist is coming to dominate you! (9/10)"
- Brendan Amos: Metalobsession.net

“The Motionless Apocalypse is a truly impressive piece of work."
- Tom Wilson: Sauce Magazine

Dec 5@ The Brisbane Hotel, HOBART, TAS
Dec 6@ The Saloon Bar, LAUNCESTON, TAS
Dec 7@ The Brisbane Hotel, HOBART, TAS – ALL AGES
Dec 13@ Summer Rage Fest (Adelaide Uni Bar), ADELAIDE, SA – ALL AGES
Jan 23@ Switch, MELBOURNE, VIC
Jan 24@ East Brunswick Club, MELBOURNE, VIC
Feb 27@ The Lewisham Hotel, SYDNEY, NSW
Feb 28@ The Basement, CANBERRA, ACT
March 19@ Brannigan’s, GOLD COAST, QLD
March 20@ Rosies, BRISBANE, QLD

http://www.separatistonline.com/
http://www.myspace.com/welkinentertainment
anyone know where i can "acquire" this album?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Not to self: stay away from shitty clubs like Switch and the EBC (not that they even sell VB anyway) the weekend of the 23/24 Jan.
Shadilay.