hey whenever i play a string with some force behind it the string rattles not in a buzzing sort of way but it rattles when you play it and let it ring, also i think THINK that when i make contact with the string with some force it makes some noise

i have a fender standard p-bass

also im having second thoughts about buying a p-bass and i think i should swap it for a j-bass but il try out the j-bass before i buy one

does anyone know if Billy Hyde does store credit, refunds or exchanges for different basses?

thx in advance

EDIT: whenever i play with my amp on the strings dont rattle, but you can hear the contact of my fingers and the strings on the amp, so like whenever i play a note you hear the note and you hear some other sound that i think is my finger playing the string

i hope you understand what im sayin thats the best i can explain it
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Jun 23, 2008,
I think that you might need to raise the action or change the pickups. I'm not sure though, don't take my word for it.
Last edited by White-Chocolate at Jun 23, 2008,
Try playing softer, especially if your playing with a pick. If that doesn't solve the problem try rasing your action.

I like P-basses. Thats what I'm going to say about switching.
post a pic of your headstock. the strings might be wound wrong. this will create rattling on the open string ringing..
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
u might needs to adjust ur truss rod and i likes p bass' more then j bass' but thats only because i got a strong hatred for single cooil pickups
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I prefer my action that low... I'm a wimp.

but it helps the closer to the bridge you are. don't play up by the neck, stay a little below the pickup.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i thinking about changing because i slap and pop and i dont especially like the tone im getting

also i havent changed the strings yet so they must be wound right

my action isnt that bad either...i think and i dont know how to adjust the truass rod

and i play resting my thumb on the pickup
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I have a similar problem on my Stingray, I have no idea what is going on
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
well have you changed your strings regularly?

because i havent bothered changing my strings since i got it (a few months back)

maybe that might be it
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
you need it set up. could be a combination of several things, may cost you as much as $40 to get it set up but it'll get rid of the noise. Most shop workers will adjust it for you after you pay the first time for free if you aren't satisfied as to not damage their reputation for being able to set things up correctly.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
does anyone know a place in melbourne where they will change your strings and do a set up for you?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
^ have you tried ANY music shop?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
lol ok UtBDan its just that im 14 and dont have a great ammount of transport so i was just wondering if someone could tell me a place and then i wouldnt have to run around to much

by the way does any music shop do it?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
by the way does any music shop do it?

Hell, a local musician who knows what he's at could do it for you. 99% of the time, there will be someone at the music shop who can set it up for you.
lol ok i found a music shop near me that does it for $50 bucks thanks guys

also does anyone know anything about billy hyde refunds?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all