Heres the deal...

I have a Jackson DK2, Valveking 112, and a G2 zoom multi-effects pedal.
and I'm not diggin my tone all that much...

I play power metal to death metal and It all seems kinda lacking.
This brings me to my first question,
Pickups! My jackson has a S/S/H config, and I like soloing with the neck pickup, but I think the pickup lacks output. All pickups are SDs by the way, STK-1 neck an middle, JB in the bridge.
Would a hotter single coil be better for high output solos, and if so what pickups?

Next thing is my amp. The VK112... Would a new speaker do wonders for my tone? Or maybe new tubes? Maybe both...?!

This isnt much of a mod question, but I am replacing my G2 with a Metal Muff, would that do the trick?

Any anwsers would be helpful! Or maybe just some tips...
replacing the G2 would definatly do the trick
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
I have the G2 and it isn't the best for metal. It gets pretty muddy with super high gain.
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
metal muff = good idea.

Switching to celestions in that VK should do the job, its what i've heard.

As far as the guitar goes, its all up to you. If you want hotter pickups, its up to you to research things and alternative. Obviously i just want to suggest that you buy some EMG's, when i see high output and pickups in the same sentance, all i see is E-M-G lol.
Thats was exactly my first thought >_<
I'm hopefully getting that metal muff this week...

I've never done things with speakers, is there a specific kind of speaker I need?
And if so what celestion speaker would fit my needs?
That VK is nowhere near death metal, it can do power metal decent but it's really not optimal. Get a better amp that suits your style, ditch the zoom in favor of a metal muff, and that's it. Personally I think that a Classic 30 might be able to do it with a metal muff backing it up, and it's very affordable. Remember: Classic 30 = awesome.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
New amps kinda out of the question...
Took me awhile just to get a valveking!

Just a followup question to anyone,
What is a good high gain single coil suited for high gain solos, and that isnt an EMG(No offence just not my taste)?
lol... Srry! I didnt actually mean a high gain single coil, but something that fits a single coil space... I'll look into that though.
Your amp is 90% of your tone. Valvekings are crap, sorry. Bottom of the barrel as far as tube amps go. I would save up and get a better amp. If you are thinking about changing the speaker and tubes, which is what a lot of ppl say they have to do to make the amp just ok, you should re evaluate your gear. Do you want to put money in something to make it ok, or start with something great that you can later put tubes and speakers in to make it awesome.

I would ditch the VK and also put a full sized humbucker in your neck position.
Nah... Srry but I'm stickin with the VK, Its got potential, Besides its an ok amp for an ok guitarist(me) I'm not totally unhappy, its just my tones lackin, I'm just look for different ways to tweek or change it...

I'm not that grear rite now, and the VK isnt going to be my one and only amp, I'll upgrade when the time is right, one day.

thank u though.
ONe more question, how do humbucker sized single coils differ from full sized counterparts? Ala lil '59 or say, a hotrail?
Quote by ninja23
Your amp is 90% of your tone. Valvekings are crap, sorry. Bottom of the barrel as far as tube amps go. I would save up and get a better amp. If you are thinking about changing the speaker and tubes, which is what a lot of ppl say they have to do to make the amp just ok, you should re evaluate your gear. Do you want to put money in something to make it ok, or start with something great that you can later put tubes and speakers in to make it awesome.

I would ditch the VK and also put a full sized humbucker in your neck position.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who dislikes the VK!
what settings are you using on your amp? maybe you should play about with that

i dont like this idea of changing everything you own just yet - it always seemed like a decent amp to me, and the guitar is good too. if its your solos that are lacking a certain umph, have you considered (if they are your own) that maybe something is missing from your playing? alternatively, maybe you could do to switch pedals, but i'd flick around with settings first

also - what tone is it that you're going for, is it not quite right because your trying to nail someone elses tone? or is it not quite right because you dont like how it sounds? remember, even with the same guitar and gear its hard to make the same noise as people. steve vai always said that when evh played his guitar through his amps using his settings it still sounded like evh.
Mess with your settings, change the speaker and tubes, ditch the zoom. don't change your pickups before you do that.
Quote by SykoDelik
Heres the deal...

I have a Jackson DK2, Valveking 112, and a G2 zoom multi-effects pedal.
and I'm not diggin my tone all that much...

I play power metal to death metal and It all seems kinda lacking.
This brings me to my first question,
Pickups! My jackson has a S/S/H config, and I like soloing with the neck pickup, but I think the pickup lacks output. All pickups are SDs by the way, STK-1 neck an middle, JB in the bridge.
Would a hotter single coil be better for high output solos, and if so what pickups?

Next thing is my amp. The VK112... Would a new speaker do wonders for my tone? Or maybe new tubes? Maybe both...?!

This isnt much of a mod question, but I am replacing my G2 with a Metal Muff, would that do the trick?

Any anwsers would be helpful! Or maybe just some tips...

Ok get a celestion vintage 30 speaker and get an OD pedal (bad monkey, tubescreamer, whatever) and push the amp so it has more gain Gain 0 Volume 10 are the settings you should use. Also get a MxR 10 band EQ which will get you a really nice thrash tone. You cannot get a good death metal tone out of a Valveking so I'm sorry.
Yeah, amp's not bad.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!