1. How do I change, or remove my pickguard in a safe way?

2. And how do I know what kind of new pickguard that will fit my guitar?

3. And last, how do I put a new pickguard on the guitar?

P.S I have a Blueridge BR-163
Last edited by Havoc_ at Jun 23, 2008,
Quote by bellerophon
Posted before then realised which forum I was in

This site might help.

Tbh, that site is kind of confusing, but I'll give it a look

ANyone else?
Quote by Havoc_
1. How do I change, or remove my pickguard in a safe way?

Use a haridryer on low heat setting. Warm up the surface of the old pickguard, this will soften the glue underneath. Use a fingernail to start lifting the corner and then just peel it right off. The underlying wood may be a different color than the surrounding wood because of fading from the sun.

2. And how do I know what kind of new pickguard that will fit my guitar?

Match up shapes. Stewart Macdonald has quite a few to choose from.

3. And last, how do I put a new pickguard on the guitar?

They are self stick. Just peel the procective plastic away and press the new pickguard in the correct place.

P.S I have a Blueridge BR-163

When using the hairdryer method, be sure not to get the plastic or the wood of the guitar too hot. You could accidentally soften the glue inside the guitar that's holding the bracing on too. You want it almost hot to the touch, but not so that it will burn you.
Alternately, you could just try to peel it away cool too. It's going to be harder to pull off tho.
Quote by LeftyDave
When using the hairdryer method, be sure not to get the plastic or the wood of the guitar too hot. You could accidentally soften the glue inside the guitar that's holding the bracing on too. You want it almost hot to the touch, but not so that it will burn you.
Alternately, you could just try to peel it away cool too. It's going to be harder to pull off tho.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you man now I'm enlightened
I've tried this , and i've accidently damaged the lacquer of the top, then i just took to a luthier to do it for me.

There are several types of pickguards and colors, if you like the wood grain on the top you can also choose for a transluscent one ( i did this, just stick it on). They come in diferent shapes but you can also buy a big piece of pickguard material and cut out the shape you desire...
My Gear:
Simon&Patrick Pro flame maple (so nice)
Epiphone SG-special (cherry red)
Richwood acoustic
Lany 30 Watt amp, not sure what exact model
i just peeled mines right off .. came of easy with very little residue left that i just wiped off .. but my guitar was new so i dont know how easy yours would come off