Hi all,

I need some help picking out a replacement pickup.

This replacement is meant for one of my relatively recent guitar purchase.

Its the grassroots version of Alexi's ESPs.

In any case, a year after the white scythe. I got itchy with GAS and then picked up the grassroots version of the Pink Sawtooth.

To cut a long story short... the Pink Sawtooth packed a different pickup, and that was a lot smoother. The White Scythe uses a EMG HZ-H4, which in comparison, was quite rough, and the tone less defined. At higher gain levels, the distortion breaks up and there is less control over the distortion.

So I'm thinking of putting a replacement pickup into the white scythe.

I might be convinced to try DiMarzios again, but not entirely keen (reason being I've put a Evo 2 (Neck), a D Sonic (bridge) into my Ibanez RG, and a Lace Sensor Hot Gold (middle)).

So as I have a guitar with DiMarzios, I'm not entirely keen on DiMarzios again. Don't get me wrong, the pups in my Ibanez can do anything I want, but I would like a change. Plus my Pink Sawtooth has EMGs, so that's a little pointless to pick out an EMG again.

So help me out here... any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I've been eyeing either the:
1) Seymour Duncan PATB1 (Parallel Axis Trembucker Original);
2) Seymour Duncan PATB2 Distortion (Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion); or
3) Alternative 8 SH-15.

Catch is that I've read quite a bit of positive news on the PATBs, but the reviews are limited. Where it is positive, people are raving about it, but where it is negative, people are really slagging it off as not defined or lacking in treble etc etc. While there is a dearth of reviews for the SH-15

For those who have tried any of the above 3, please tell me what you think. For everyone else, please recommend something you know.

Gear
I usually run all my guitars into a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 neat.

Alternatively, occasionally when I do have an effects chain, I run it...

Guitar -> Spider Valve Preamp -> Effects Chain (Digitech Distortion Factory 7 -> Boss GT3) -> Spider Valve Power Amp.

Music

I generally play, classical music, Metallica, Children of Bodom, Symphony X, a little bit of country rock (2 songs). The rest are usually my own arrangements of classical music with metal distortion (not all of it is neo-classical shred). I'm not out to imitate tone, I use my own experimentation. But what I am seeking is slightly mid - high gain distortion. tight and punchy mids, with highs that cut through the mids slightly, while the bass doesn't shatter my ears. I would like something that is bright and not dark. Something that has good note definition and punch. The sound shouldn't break up when I do crank up the gain.

Does any of this help?

Recommendations and comments please.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 23, 2008,
Ok, so you have Dimarzios and liked them, so don't want them again? How does that make sense...Dimarzio have about 30 models of humbucker and all of them sound different. Surely that would make you want to try another of their models if you're happy with the ones you have, it's not like it'll sound remotely the same unless you buy the same models again. Having said that it's a Duncan that springs to mind first anyway, Duncan Custom. The Dimarzio Breed was up there too but it's probably not quite bright enough for you.

However. gven the amount of digital processing in your chain, not to mention the odd choice of a stomp box in the FX loop, I don't think pickups are a significant part of your tonal equation anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Ok, so you have Dimarzios and liked them, so don't want them again? How does that make sense...Dimarzio have about 30 models of humbucker and all of them sound different. Surely that would make you want to try another of their models if you're happy with the ones you have, it's not like it'll sound remotely the same unless you buy the same models again. Having said that it's a Duncan that springs to mind first anyway, Duncan Custom. The Dimarzio Breed was up there too but it's probably not quite bright enough for you.

However. gven the amount of digital processing in your chain, not to mention the odd choice of a stomp box in the FX loop, I don't think pickups are a significant part of your tonal equation anyway.

Granted I can see where you are coming from, but my view is that I've tried DiMarzios, I just want something different from the brand I've already got in my Ibanez.

That's the reason I've been eyeing Duncans... but the 3 I'm looking at aren't eactly extensively reviewed... and the reviews I've read tell me very little. Plus, based on my experience, I don't really trust sound clips. One thing though, I found that the sound clips on the Seymour Duncan website... sound a little muddy and loose, I was hoping someone could confirm if that is the case, or if the sound clips aren't accurate.

I can tell what you are thinking about my chain. Admittedly, I kinda agree... but I usually don't always use the chain. I probably use it now and again when I really want to throw a ton of effects on top of my guitar. I usually run my guitar straight into my amp.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 23, 2008,
Headstock says edwards. and i think grassroots only makes strat, les paul and sgs.
for the pickup, i say Duncan Custom or PATB 2.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I'm sticking with the Custom here too, based on this...

I generally play, classical music, Metallica, Children of Bodom, Symphony X, a little bit of country rock (2 songs). The rest are usually my own arrangements of classical music with metal distortion (not all of it is neo-classical shred). I'm not out to imitate tone, I use my own experimentation. But what I am seeking is slightly mid - high gain distortion. tight and punchy mids, with highs that cut through the mids slightly, while the bass doesn't shatter my ears. I would like something that is bright and not dark. Something that has good note definition and punch. The sound shouldn't break up when I do crank up the gain.

That to me says a ceramic magnet for the tightness and definition you're looking for, the Custom is a hot pickup but will handle your lower gain stuff okay too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
rolling the tone/volume knob will make it okay for lower gain stuff.
Duncan Custom for you definitely.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC