Basically...

About a month back, i bought...

Trace Elliot Ah500-7 500w "minimum 4 ohm"
Trace 1028h 400w 8ohm 2x10"
Trace 1518c 300w 8ohm 1x15".

Last night at band practice, i was playing as normal, like i have done for the last month ive had it, not pushing it at all. I had it set right with the gain etc and all the settings on my active bass set to nothing, apart from volume but just using the amps eq as normal. The lights on the head were stopping at orange, not red (red is too much gain and damaging obv.)

So im playing along and i smell something wich only can be described as NASTY. I stop playing, turn off, leave it for 15 mins, start playing again and notice some dirty popping coming from one of my 2 cabs when i tuned down to drop C.

Everything is covered by manufacturers warranty AND shop warranty. The thing is, i bought these as a set, they were set up as a set in the shop, and ive been told theyd fit eachother fine.

Just after an explanation what happened really, my guitarist said it smelt like the voice coil.

Also, whats the MINIMUM ohms about? Whats the maximum? and how do i make sure this doesnt happen again when i get a replacement or it gets repaired?

Another q, with my 500w head, with 1 output, is the wattage and ohms shared through the 2 cabs, making it 250w per cab?

Cheers.

And btw, yes i am an amp noob, im new to cabs and heads etc.
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
I'm not sure what the problem would be. Those cabs are a perfect match for that head. 4 ohm minimum means that the load should be 4 ohms at the least, it can be more (there is no maximum impedance for solid state heads) but no less. Your best bet is to talk the the shop or better yet, Trace Elliot. It may have just been a bad cab.
Just to check - you were using a speaker cable to connect the cabs and not an instrument cable? I'm very surprised at this.
Quote by smb
Just to check - you were using a speaker cable to connect the cabs and not an instrument cable? I'm very surprised at this.

Yeah I used speaker cables, the ones i got with the amp!
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
Sounds like it's a faulty cab, take it back to the store & get it fixed.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
brokenbassboy
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
brokenbassboy

yeah i know, lol.
Update!!

Just been by the shop i bought my cabs from, they ran a sweep test etc, and everything is working perfectly?
Droping head by tommorrow with my leads and bass. Hopefully there isnt a huge problem, as i have gigs coming up and i dont wanna be without my trace =(
This is probably a stupid question, but could it be duff eq settings along with active pickups that made the popping, and my amp just being 'broken in'?
Last edited by brokenbassboy at Jun 24, 2008,